Jump to content

Darsc Zacal

Pre-Launch Bones 5 Excitement thread

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

The Stegosaurus Warrior is nice.

 

His hammer appears to have been nicked from a dwarven ironworks. 

 

I am sure they needed that triphammer!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like all the merfolk! 

I LOVE the awesome sahuagin baron!!!!!

 

PLEASE tell me there are as many different sahuagin minis as there are merfolk !!

 

It certainly is looking like there will be quite an aquatic theme this time, which I love!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Hmm, have I dropped this meme down before??? Just Saying::o:

724598820_enoughbones.jpg.8bb8df878a561058b1ab7b831c35313b.jpg

 

In the context of ST ToS, one can never have enough Bones.

 

Also, in the context of Reaper.

 

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

 

Sophie looks like a barbie doll.  She should have more style and sass.  (and I know a Japan scholar who's going to lose it when she sees "samurai" armor on a female.  Whatever, not my hobbyhorse) Sophie should be bad----, not looking like she just came out of the display box. 

 

 

 

Yeah, she first popped up on the screen and I started to squee, but then I wasn't so sure. The incredibly boobsy cuirass is very costumey.

I feel like, with the lack of segmentation in the armor plates, plus the big mitten-style tekko (guantlets), this is almost like kendo armor, which just adds to the sense that Sophie is playacting. It's like samurai cosplay... Which is in keeping with Sophie's character, I guess. But I'd rather see Sophie actually practicing Kendo instead of wearing piecemeal kendo armor to play samurai dress-up.

 

Regardless, if this is a sign of a very strong push into far-East themes, I'm for it.

 

 

 

 

Edit to add: with the exception of Sophie's gender (which is a pretty standard fantasy genre inversion of historicity, and I'm totally on board with it), this does look like actual historical armor until you get to the cuirass. So there was some homework done, here, which I do appreciate.

Unfortunately, the simple armor type (very little segmentation, mitten tekko), plus the completely ahistorical cuirass, plus the rather "teehee, I'm a samurai" stance (it might be intended as a gathering step, but then I don't know what the sword is doing) makes the overall feel very cartoony.

 

 

Edited by Sanael
Added thoughts
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marc said:

It certainly is looking like there will be quite an aquatic theme this time, which I love!

 

 

Yes, the otter and cat pirates are not going to have an easy voyage, methinks, upon their glorious 30” flagship, given all the various nasties of the deep we’ve been spyin’ in the murky waters ahead...

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care much for the Shogun Sophie somehow.

The Merfolk look pretty good.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I really like the non-combatant pirates.  I especially like the bosun and the chef.  @Rainbow Sculptor, you really did a great job on these.

This is yes. I really dig those "legitimate maritime professionals."

 

 

 

The more I look at the samurai-with-wings, the less I'm convinced it's meant to be Sophie. Ron was typically "maybe it is, but it's not, is it? Yes. Maybe. Who can say?" about it when they showed the turnaround, so that's no confirmation, and I don't think I've ever seen an official Sophie with a tail.

Edited by Sanael
Separation of the merge
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm
A succubri
Samcubus
Succugon
Shocubus

hmmmm

13 minutes ago, Sanael said:

This is yes. I really dig those "legitimate maritime professionals."

 

 

 

The more I look at the samurai-with-wings, the less I'm convinced it's meant to be Sophie. Ron was typically "maybe it is, but it's not, is it? Yes. Maybe. Who can say?" about it when they showed the turnaround, so that's no confirmation, and I don't think I've ever seen an official Sophie with a tail.

Thats very true.  Sophie hasn't had a tail, not that Ive seen.  I dont think Ive seen her with horns either.  Could be wrong though.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I really like the non-combatant pirates.  I especially like the bosun and the chef.  @Rainbow Sculptor, you really did a great job on these.

Thank you!! It helps to start from great concept art lol

I had fun working on these and I'm so excited for Bones V!! Some really awesome stuff revealed so far, that stegasaurus guy is CRAZY! 

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

merfolk and sahuagan are nice.  the only thing that popped at me is the gozilla thing.  seems like it'll be around the size of the dracodile from privateer.

 

In a way im pleased so far. not as much that i want so far. maybe can keep cost of this KS down...

 

Sanjay

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

merfolk and sahuagan are nice.  the only thing that popped at me is the gozilla thing.  seems like it'll be around the size of the dracodile from privateer.

 

In a way im pleased so far. not as much that i want so far. maybe can keep cost of this KS down...

 

Sanjay

 

 

Good luck with that!  :winkthumbs:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, fletcherpeatross said:

image.png.e3b431025bf14565134d680adbc65f50.png

I need to find some time to watch last night's sometime today.  Did they happen to say how big this guy was going to be?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

Hmmm
A succubri
Samcubus
Succugon
Shocubus

hmmmm

Thats very true.  Sophie hasn't had a tail, not that Ive seen.  I dont think Ive seen her with horns either.  Could be wrong though.

People are looking at her the wrong way. That isn't samurai armor, that is camoflage

 

Drop her at Dragon Con and she would disappear like a ninja! Or be working at one of the booths, one or the other. ::): Booth Babe Sophie?

14 hours ago, fletcherpeatross said:

image.png.e3b431025bf14565134d680adbc65f50.png

 

Wow, Barney really didn't age well, did he? <= Purple

 

I love you, you love me!

Let's go watch some Pay TV.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Inarah said:

Sophie looks like a barbie doll.  She should have more style and sass.  (and I know a Japan scholar who's going to lose it when she sees "samurai" armor on a female.  Whatever, not my hobbyhorse) Sophie should be bad----, not looking like she just came out of the display box. 

 

 

Not loving the sculpt, but I don't see why female samurai should be a deal breaker in fantasy miniatures.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onna-bugeisha

 

Unless you specifically want them to wield naginata, which I can agree with.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cygnwulf said:

I need to find some time to watch last night's sometime today.  Did they happen to say how big this guy was going to be?

I think they said it was a 3 inch base?

 

So from the picture, maybe 4" tall, 6" long from head to tail?

 

I mean it "feels" big, but the base thickness is screwing my sizing intuition.

 

9 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I’d like to get at least one to paint the eyes, mouth, arms, legs, etc so that only the actual dice portion is translucent, just to see how it looks.

 

Of course if I do like the way it turns out, then I’m going to want all 36. :unsure:

This would be a good trading opportunity during ReaperCon. Everyone will have too many of one color, and not enough of another.

 

Reaper could also throw in a limited exclusive edition sparkly/crystal clear mini with hologram card or whatever.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×