Jump to content

Darsc Zacal

Pre-Launch Bones 5 Excitement thread

Recommended Posts

We've always been gentle with minis but we started in high school using minis.  And we collected magic cards back then. 1993 or so. So we got used to keeping stuff safe.  And if my kids are older and want to play , will insist on counters. Their characters I don't care as much about. Or will just use any bones stuff. Not my higher end resin stuff.

 

Sanjay

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

Same dragon people have been talking about. Different viewpoints.

20190901_132454.thumb.jpg.223088fdceede03c9cefe5c1a1850592.jpg

20190901_132448.thumb.jpg.cc9dfdd9a09a9f50213c3dad3e96b221.jpg

20190901_132438.thumb.jpg.5235d052b1123a46c17d80066269a390.jpg

I am liking this beastie more and more. With that smirk and pose? Yup, definitely just swatted a halfling!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

When, exactly, did green dragons get the reputation of being the chatterboxes and smug bastards of evil dragonkind in D&D, anyway?

 

There was ONE in Draconomicon, but he was supposed to be an exception.

 

BUT there were already examples in established official D&D settings, and mention that green dragons (Lawful Evil) get along okay with wood elves (Chaotic Good). Or is that just them being more Smug than Evil?  The reds get Smaug, the greens get Smug?

Shout it out.

 

Even GOOD kids can do a lot of damage with grabby jam covered fingers. And yelling at the kid to GO WASH HER HANDS makes me feel like I am trying to be her mum.

 

Sometimes, you are her mum! (And at least Sam apologized. Becca is a lot better, but both her dad and mom are still active gamers. Andrew was out when Sam started into the hobby.)

 

As for the phlegmatic Greens... poisonous breath just seems less hot headed than flame. So, plotters, schemers, manipulators, and, yes,... conversationalists. (The Green in Draconomicon was my favorite in the book - the smooth and skillful way he would talk himself out of massacring the adventurers. ::): )

 

The Auld Grump - then again, all my dragons tend to be conversationalists, except for the redneck red. :lol:

  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

When, exactly, did green dragons get the reputation of being the chatterboxes and smug bastards of evil dragonkind in D&D, anyway?

 

 

 

Well in the original 2nd AD&D Monstrous Compendium

 

Green dragons are bad tempered, mean, cruel and rude. They hate goodness and good aligned creatures.  They love intrigue and seek to enslave other woodland creatures, killing those who cannot be controlled or intimidated.

 

Green dragons like to question men especially adventures to learn more about their society, abilities, what is going on in the countryside and if there is treasure nearby.

 

 

They do not sound like chatterbox Brass dragons but it looks like they want information and they know they are better than you and me, so smug bastards fits.    

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Crowley said:
4 hours ago, Bane Of Humanity said:
4 hours ago, Inarah said:

That display case was only about 18 or 24" across.  I think he's on a 40mm base. 

Thats awful news.... 40mm  I HATE 40mm!

:wacko: 

Why? It falls nicely into the "not too big, not too small" category that I like my "BIG" minis for games

 

4 hours ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

A 40mm base isn't big...its barely above medium.  This is a dragon....not a pseudodragon...

 

There is an incredibly simple solution to this. (Actually there are two.) 

 

Purchase a larger round or oval base helpfully provided by Reaper Miniatures. Flip the base upside down. Center this dragon neatly within the bigger base. Glue it down. Using sand, RR ballast, or pebbles go to town adding material to fill in the open, empty areas of the base.  

 

Enjoy your new dragon on its nice custom base that now counts as a size L (or Huge or whatever) sized creature because it was customized by the end user. 

 

It hangs way, way over the integral base; which is probably a 2 inch (51mm) anyway. #thisiseasy. 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TGP said:
4 hours ago, Crowley said:
5 hours ago, Bane Of Humanity said:
5 hours ago, Inarah said:

That display case was only about 18 or 24" across.  I think he's on a 40mm base. 

Thats awful news.... 40mm  I HATE 40mm!

:wacko: 

Why? It falls nicely into the "not too big, not too small" category that I like my "BIG" minis for games

 

4 hours ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

A 40mm base isn't big...its barely above medium.  This is a dragon....not a pseudodragon...

 

There is an incredibly simple solution to this. (Actually there are two.) 

 

Purchase a larger round or oval base helpfully provided by Reaper Miniatures. Flip the base upside down. Center this dragon neatly within the bigger base. Glue it down. Using sand, RR ballast, or pebbles go to town adding material to fill in the open, empty areas of the base.  

 

Enjoy your new dragon on its nice custom base that now counts as a size L (or Huge or whatever) sized creature because it was customized by the end user. 

 

It hangs way, way over the integral base; which is probably a 2 inch (51mm) anyway. #thisiseasy. 

That's what I've done on every dragon I've painted so far. 

 

I wonder how the dragons are gonna be done in this one? Individual dragon add ons? Kinda what I'm wishing for. They're such great sculpts, I'm probably gonna have to get them all. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure that smirking dragon is on a 3" base, at least. It looks pretty big, more or less comparable in base diameter to the other dragons in the case based on photos. I think it's a lot bigger than seems to be getting assumed here.

 

I personally hope it's smaller, though. I need me some "huge" dragons, rather than "gargantuan +"

Edited by Disciple of Sakura
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope the dragons are available as add-ons, I would consider a couple of them just for fun!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I'm pretty sure that smirking dragon is on a 3" base, at least. It looks pretty big, more or less comparable in base diameter to the other dragons in the case based on photos. I think it's a lot bigger than seems to be getting assumed here.

 

I personally hope it's smaller, though. I need me some "huge" dragons, rather than "gargantuan +"

:rock:

*grabs tape measure*

40mm... Is... Oh, yeah, that's way smaller than what I thought. Yeah, those dragons are all on bases that are at least 3" 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it looked like more than 40mm.

 

I am sure most dragons will be add-ons, though some might end up in expansions? Who knows? Maybe not even Ron and Ed at this point. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Corsair said:

@Crowley were you using Hamster inches? :poke:

Look, we make up for the small paws in other ways, Okay? 

 

So if the dragons are $10 each, I'm definitely in for all of them. At $15-20 each? I might have to be picky. I suppose it depends on how quickly I get a job... and how long the pledge manager stays open. 

 

...

 

...

 

Okay, yeah, I'm probably getting all of them anyway... 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, StarFyre said:

I must say I'm shocked at how ppl have issues with fragile minis. In the games I dm, several characters and most monsters are resin and we haven't had issues. Even with larger forgeworld monsters ...

 

Do people play during earthquakes?

 

Maybe people's bases aren't good enough for what they are using? We've had our table get a hard bump and the larger models don't tip

 

 

It was raining yesterday and DH had to make a sudden stop on a slick road on our way to game night.  End result: bin of minis upside down on the car floor.  Fortunately that box is mostly Bones.   But there's one figure I've had to reglue twice for similar reasons. 

 

3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

 

Even GOOD kids can do a lot of damage with grabby jam covered fingers. And yelling at the kid to GO WASH HER HANDS makes me feel like I am trying to be her mum.

 

Then there are some cats, for whom everything is a cat toy. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now from what I have seen and read, probably going to pass on the core pledge because from what I know thus far, I am not really interested.  We will see when the KS opens.  I will cherry pick the dragons and some other items as we they are revealed.  Also, in past KS, there were a lot I did care about and it was a PITA to get rid of them because they did not sell either.  Sticking to just what I like.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inarah said:

 

 

It was raining yesterday and DH had to make a sudden stop on a slick road on our way to game night.  End result: bin of minis upside down on the car floor.  Fortunately that box is mostly Bones.   But there's one figure I've had to reglue twice for similar reasons. 

 

Ah yes. I used to play Warhammer. 6k in lizardmen. So I have my old travel ready army cases. One is about a meter long. Filled with foams that can fit a Titan. So I use those the few times I need to move models around.  I forget not everyone played Warhammer or has those kind of supplies...

 

I'm hoping the dragons are all in one set ...like 40-60 for all.  May end up being cheaper than multiple individual ones ...

 

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×