Sign in to follow this  
Darsc Zacal

Pre-Launch Bones 5 Excitement thread

5 hours ago, NecroticDamage said:

Wow that is crazy, I would need so much more paint!

You would think that, but miniatures paint goes a long way. Most prolific painters only have to replace a bottle or two per year, and that will be something like primer or black or white.

5 hours ago, NecroticDamage said:

lol I average out finishing maybe about 2 minis a week, wife is gonna kill me if I don't figure out storage... XD

I like the 8.1L box from Really Useful Boxes. Durable, stackable, good handles and lid, and shallow enough to be able to get to the bottom without mounting an expedition.

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I kinda missed out on the Kobolds from the previous efforts so I am kinda digging that. 

I can always use more kobolds.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:
2 hours ago, TGP said:

I kinda missed out on the Kobolds from the previous efforts so I am kinda digging that. 

I was kinda hoping it would be hobgoblins, but maybe we'll get some new sculpts this kickstarter. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I like the 8.1L box from Really Useful Boxes. Durable, stackable, good handles and lid, and shallow enough to be able to get to the bottom without mounting an expedition.

I am a fan of that brand as well. I have many different sizes. 

• Like 3

Awesome. That core set dragon is the first dragon I ever painted. And it has terrorized my players across a number of worlds. Now that it's going to be in bones, she's going to get some friends. I'm sure my players will be just as excited as I am. 

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm fairly pleased with the core set already. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

If I read one more person on Facebook complain with righteous indignation that the Kobolds are from Bones 4 and Reaper are thieves and heathens for including them, I might scream.  Remembering  now to avoid the KS comments section as well... ::P:

I have sooooooo much trouble staying out of the comments section. Thank you for the reminder :rolleyes:

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Awesome. That core set dragon is the first dragon I ever painted. And it has terrorized my players across a number of worlds. Now that it's going to be in bones, she's going to get some friends. I'm sure my players will be just as excited as I am. 

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm fairly pleased with the core set already. 

It's a solid starting set. There are some things I'm really looking forward to, and a couple I don't care about, but given how it'll grow, I'm almost sure to get it. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Brother Jim said:

When I first saw the picture I thought #121 was an armored Bugbear.

But I think it has 4 fingers per hand.

:down::down:

Reaper's Bugbear minis only have 4 digits per hand anyway, IIRC.

Yep. Confirmed...

77231_w_1.jpg.5a1aec2fa9fef65777b2778060af5de5.jpg

Edited by Disciple of Sakura
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I use the 9L RUB with 9 .55L inside for the small stuff.  Each small box has similar minis and each box has similar types.  Go without the small boxes for bigger minis and use one 17L for the biggest minis.  I do have some of the other type shown for my vehicle collection.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, turbocooler said:

I have to find a game to use my kobolds collection.  I have to have at least 60 at this point.  All unpainted because not a fan of them and neither is anyone else as I can't give them away.

As an ambassador for the race, this makes me sad. Kobolds--yours or anyone's-- always have a home with me.

37 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

This is true. Doug is not always this brief, but he is often this wise. Just don't tell him I said so.

... As for the core set, I love it. There's a lot I don't need, so depending on whether it gets broken up in the pledge manager may determine if I get it. 

The thing I wish people would remember about the core set--before they start whinging on about a pile of Kobolds or whatever--is that it's designed as an entry point. It's not (to my eye, but as always I am not a Reaperpeep) designed for people who have been collecting minis for a while (it's got a bunch of stuff such old hands are likely to like--baby Mashaaf, anyone?). New hobbyists don't have an army of first level encounters, so the core set has that.

And this is good for people who don't need a pile of Kobolds, because NEW hobbyists support making stuff for ALL hobbyists. And what's awesome about the Kobolds in Bones V (unlike the horde minis in previous Kickstarters) is that Reaper doesn't have to make the molds (because they're already made*): they're giving NEW hobbyists awesome hordes while pumping the money they gained by including that value into NEW molds, which is good for EVERYONE.

*Unless they're making new molds to move the Kobolds into Bones Black, which means they're improving the Kobolds, and who doesn't love improved Kobolds**?

**Speaking of improved Kobolds, I'd like some Urds, please.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sanael said:

This is true. Doug is not always this brief, but he is often this wise. Just don't tell him I said so.

Your secret is safe with me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Looter said:

Seriously stop trying to pad the numbers with goblins and Kobolds. 

But this has been a feature of every Bones KS so far, going back to the skeletons and vermin in B1.   For me, it was never a question of if they would do it again, simply a question of which of my hordes would be growing this time around. 

6 minutes ago, Sanael said:

The thing I wish people would remember about the core set--before they start whinging on about a pile of Kobolds or whatever--is that it's designed as an entry point. It's not (to my eye, but as always I am not a Reaperpeep) designed for people who have been collecting minis for a while (it's got a bunch of stuff such old hands are likely to like--baby Mashaaf, anyone?). New hobbyists don't have an army of first level encounters, so the core set has that.

And this is good for people who don't need a pile of Kobolds, because NEW hobbyists support making stuff for ALL hobbyists. And what's awesome about the Kobolds in Bones V (unlike the horde minis in previous Kickstarters) is that Reaper doesn't have to make the molds (because they're already made*): they're giving NEW hobbyists awesome hordes while pumping the money they gained by including that value into NEW molds, which is good for EVERYONE.

This.  So much this. 

I know I'm looking at the current core set, and thinking "meh" about many of the figures in it.  But I keep three thoughts in mind:   
One - There will be more added to it, and my perception may change by the time the KS ends. 
Two - it will likely be two years before I see these figures, and things could change. I know there are several figures from the B1-B4 cores that I was meh about back then that I've since changed my tune on. 
Three - a lot of what I don't like is exciting to other people, which means that it's still good for me in the long run. 

• Like 14

19 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

If I had a door I could mount it on, I'd 100% do that door shoe hanger. That's a terrific idea...

I got the idea from somebody else in the Bones 4 thread, but I can't recall who shared it.

2 minutes ago, kristof65 said:
1 hour ago, Looter said:

Seriously stop trying to pad the numbers with goblins and Kobolds. 

But this has been a feature of every Bones KS so far, going back to the skeletons and vermin in B1.   For me, it was never a question of if they would do it again, simply a question of which of my hordes would be growing this time around. 

15 minutes ago, Sanael said:

This.  So much this. 

I know I'm looking at the current core set, and thinking "meh" about many of the figures in it.  But I keep three thoughts in mind:   
One - There will be more added to it, and my perception may change by the time the KS ends. 
Two - it will likely be two years before I see these figures, and things could change. I know there are several figures from the B1-B4 cores that I was meh about back then that I've since changed my tune on. 
Three - a lot of what I don't like is exciting to other people, which means that it's still good for me in the long run. 

^^^ This

There's a bunch that'll be fine to have, and if you don't like it, hang on for the first hour or two, the core set is gonna grow like crazy, expansions and add ons will be added... don't worry, there will be lots to look forward to! 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Thanks. 

That narrows it down to two styles. 

I got mine from the standard internet retailer. Can't link you to the exact one, but any of them should do as long as the pockets are fully closed at the bottom.

• Like 1