Jump to content

Pre-Launch Bones 5 Excitement thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TGP said:

 

This is all very puzzling. 

 

Reaper produced / still produces textured bases. Hundreds of them. But! Customers complained and complained and complained. There are threads in the forums where the topic is how to get rid of them. They are called integral bases

 

Textured bases...the no Win business?

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I recommend doing this:

 

B3B415A4-220D-4CFD-B555-99B8F9A5B875.thumb.jpeg.897df67c9a4999f8d9c9027fb2b027dd.jpeg

 

It is so simple and easy, but if anybody is having a...  :blink:  ...I can explain what each part is. (Color coded them for reasons.)

The problem with Reaper's existing integral bases is that they don't comport with standard base metrics, like 1" diameter rounds, for example. Instead, they're ovals, they're weird shapes, they're just little bumps that look like broccoli tops... They don't match in a consistent manner. It takes work and effort to make them consistent across the board, and that's a hassle. What I'm asking for is separate bases that can be used for basing miniatures while saving me the time and effort using stamps and sculpy. The products I've found so far tend to be designed to sit into the recessed areas of plain bases, and don't extend to the edge of the base, creating a ring around the texture that then needs to be treated or otherwise be incongruous. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

The problem with Reaper's existing integral bases is that they don't comport with standard base metrics, like 1" diameter rounds, for example. Instead, they're ovals, they're weird shapes, they're just little bumps that look like broccoli tops... They don't match in a consistent manner. It takes work and effort to make them consistent across the board, and that's a hassle. What I'm asking for is separate bases that can be used for basing miniatures while saving me the time and effort using stamps and sculpy. The products I've found so far tend to be designed to sit into the recessed areas of plain bases, and don't extend to the edge of the base, creating a ring around the texture that then needs to be treated or otherwise be incongruous. 

 

For me, at least, stamps or rollers are much easier to use than pre-cast scenic bases. Integrating a figure into a precast resin base is a genuine pain. Parts of one or both feet usually want to float above the surface of the base if it's generally flat where I want the figure, which means fiddly sculpting. And if the base doesn't have a large flattish spot, which many don't it's much worse.

 

With putty and a stamp, I can "sculpt" the base, then before the putty sets press the feet of the figure (and possibly a bit of the remaining base or an added pin for more stability) into the putty. Then just clean up the sculpt a bit where the feet pushed it aside and remove the figure. (You can leave the figure in place, but I find it easier to paint bases without figures attached, then attach the figures later.)

 

TL; DR: Mostly don't like cast scenic bases because they're too hard to work with.

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

The problem with Reaper's existing integral bases is that they don't comport with standard base metrics, like 1" diameter rounds, for example. Instead, they're ovals, they're weird shapes, they're just little bumps that look like broccoli tops... They don't match in a consistent manner. It takes work and effort to make them consistent across the board, and that's a hassle. What I'm asking for is separate bases that can be used for basing miniatures while saving me the time and effort using stamps and sculpy. The products I've found so far tend to be designed to sit into the recessed areas of plain bases, and don't extend to the edge of the base, creating a ring around the texture that then needs to be treated or otherwise be incongruous. 

Have you seen the WizKids mimics? Their integral bases are bigger than the round bases that come with them, in all directions.

 

I think the old broccoli bases were meant as the only bases the figures had, so no conformity was planned into them. They were just there so the figure stand on its own.

 

We have a bunch of  square MDF bases, 3/4 inch and 1 inch. The broccoli bases fit best on the 1 inch. Grump likes the 3/4 inch bases, because Warhammer then KOW.

 

I like 1 inch better, and definitely like square more than round, oval, hex, or blob.

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I’m here to add more kobold controversy: I don’t care for the kobolds in the core pack because I like dragon kobolds, not these dog looking things! 
 

The divvying here goes: I paint them, hubby uses them to kill us :blink:

We both do that, the only question is whose paint jobs the killers display.

 

Once painted we both use all of them. ::):

 

My problem is I will need that giant LONG before the Kickstarter delivers.

 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
6 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

I think the old broccoli bases were meant as the only bases the figures had, so no conformity was planned into them. They were just there so the figure stand on its own

Exactly this.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

For me, at least, stamps or rollers are much easier to use than pre-cast scenic bases. Integrating a figure into a precast resin base is a genuine pain. Parts of one or both feet usually want to float above the surface of the base if it's generally flat where I want the figure, which means fiddly sculpting. And if the base doesn't have a large flattish spot, which many don't it's much worse.

 

With putty and a stamp, I can "sculpt" the base, then before the putty sets press the feet of the figure (and possibly a bit of the remaining base or an added pin for more stability) into the putty. Then just clean up the sculpt a bit where the feet pushed it aside and remove the figure. (You can leave the figure in place, but I find it easier to paint bases without figures attached, then attach the figures later.)

 

TL; DR: Mostly don't like cast scenic bases because they're too hard to work with.

Yeah, this is where I fall into it too. Getting a mini to work on a precast base that it wasn't designed for is a bigger pain for me then just rolling some green stuff and grabbing a stamp. Cutting away an integrated base isn't an issue for me. Just a few extra seconds of work. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I’m here to add more kobold controversy: I don’t care for the kobolds in the core pack because I like dragon kobolds, not these dog looking things! 

 

I also prefer dragony kobolds. But almost all dragony kobolds found elsewhere are skinny, like malnourished lizards, with proportionally gigantic scales as the sculptor went with the pebbly look on a 25 mm small miniature :ph34r:

 

But I also prefer these minis. Their little faces have the widdle dog noses but those noses aren't highly detailed or firmly delineated from the rest of the face. Painting to minimize the nose lines is an easy task.

 

Now I have pudgy dragony kobolds, something I have not yet found anywhere else :wub: 

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Have you seen the WizKids mimics? Their integral bases are bigger than the round bases that come with them, in all directions.

Omg. I cut those things off the Mimics, and the shape etc of them made it a pair.  Even as a modeller who is used to cutting up models.

 

What's worse is we use a square grid etched board , so I prefer to put all models on rectangle bases (note:squares are under the grouping of rectangles)  :)

 

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If all the bases were like the January owlbear's, I'd be pretty happy. Those who want to put the owlbear on something else can without much trouble, and those that want a decent base have one to glue it onto easily.

 

I've been enjoying the premade bases I've gotten, but I do agree that many of them are too busy for the space provided and it makes it hard to fit a figure. I have some stamps and I like them, but they won't do for the figures I want to look really good. I have trouble getting the edges to look right, and they are very much on the simple side. Really great for making basic stuff for a game, but less for display. Granted I don't have very detailed stamps to work with; GSW might have something more fancy.

 

Which WizKids mimics have weird bases? I have mimics from them without bases if I recall them right.

 

I'm curious what the big offerings will be. Core is good, and will get better. But right now, I don't have stuff screaming at me.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

I can never decide if I would want square bases as thin as the WizKids wafer bases or not.

 

Overall, I think yes, but. :unsure:

 

I prefer to pick up painted minis by the base, and those bases are too thin to do that. I like the concept and appearance, but not the usability.

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...