Sign in to follow this  
Darsc Zacal

Pre-Launch Bones 5 Excitement thread

The thing with the bigger dragons being done in original Bones is that many folks seem to have their minis suffer from wing droop. Or weak ankles.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

The thing with the bigger dragons being done in original Bones is that many folks seem to have their minis suffer from wing droop. Or weak ankles.

and thats another issue.  i cant say much on it. i havent worked on argent, the roc, etc yet. but i've seen the pics.

i wonder if some of that has to do with the temp in those peoples homes, etc.

Sanjay

• Like 3

I don't know about that. Ma'al Drakar, Blightfang, Narthrax... they all have some pretty solid detailing and are in classic Bones. I don't think detail is overall as much of a problem for anything exceeding a standard adventurer sized miniature in Bones, and even then, I have found it to be not as bad as long as the molds are made well.

Just now, StarFyre said:

and thats another issue.  i cant say much on it. i havent worked on argent, the roc, etc yet. but i've seen the pics.

i wonder if some of that has to do with the temp in those peoples homes, etc.

Sanjay

Argent and the Roc were both Bones Black, though.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

And when it happens to your $30, $40, or even $75 USD mini, it's kind of aggravating. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I don't know about that. Ma'al Drakar, Blightfang, Narthrax... they all have some pretty solid detailing and are in classic Bones. I don't think detail is overall as much of a problem for anything exceeding a standard adventurer sized miniature in Bones, and even then, I have found it to be not as bad as long as the molds are made well.

look at the scales on the red dragon compared to the surface of maal.  maal's are much larger.  its not bad but they arent the same.

hey, some of this could be my bias.  i prefer resin kits #1, then GW style plastic (hard high quality plastic), then bones, then metal. 

so seeing 3d prints (resin), id prefer those. hehe

Id be sad if, the red dragon, for example, doesnt have those sharp edges, etc

1 minute ago, WhiteWulfe said:

And when it happens to your $30, $40, or even $75 USD mini, it's kind of aggravating. 

WHite - did it happen to your dragons? 

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 3

I've got a half-dozen Bones Classic dragons, from Bones 2 through Bones 4, and the only wing droop I can confirm I've seen is T'Raukzul. Even then, I thought it was meant to be that way, because the wing was curved out of the package. Admittedly, I haven't got many standing only on two legs, but even so, there's been little issue in my experience. I may just have been lucky.

I do find it funny that I used to always hear about how 3D printed minis don't have quality detail, and yet they now have more detail than the cast figures. I suspect it depends on the printer, though.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I do find it funny that I used to always hear about how 3D printed minis don't have quality detail, and yet they now have more detail than the cast figures. I suspect it depends on the printer, though.

Well depends on the printer.  Most people print lower quality 3d models on FDM printers since that is more affordable.  the test prints you see by GW, reaper, gf9, etc are all done on industrial SLA/DLP based printers or higher end home SLA printers. ( i imagine) None of these are FDM. 

print the same reaper red dragon or something on an FDM printer and it wont look that good.

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I've got a half-dozen Bones Classic dragons, from Bones 2 through Bones 4, and the only wing droop I can confirm I've seen is T'Raukzul. Even then, I thought it was meant to be that way, because the wing was curved out of the package. Admittedly, I haven't got many standing only on two legs, but even so, there's been little issue in my experience. I may just have been lucky.

my gauth has leg droop, and both the bones 4 rulers of hell have some severe wing droop issues.

• Sad 7

19 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

Well depends on the printer.  Most people print lower quality 3d models on FDM printers since that is more affordable.  the test prints you see by GW, reaper, gf9, etc are all done on industrial SLA/DLP based printers or higher end home SLA printers. ( i imagine) None of these are FDM. 

print the same reaper red dragon or something on an FDM printer and it wont look that good.

Sanjay

Someone actually told me that a certain miniatures vendor at Reapercon is getting such great results from his SLA printer that he doesn't even bother making molds any more and just prints to sell on demand

• Like 6

Just now, Cygnwulf said:

Someone actually told me that a certain miniatures vendor at Reapercon is getting such great results from his SLA printer that he doesn't even bother making molds any more and just prints to sell on demand

i would imagine its expensive to do that. that said, i did buy a beholder printed on SLA recently. looks good. not as nice as my gf9 beholders, but cheaper than those and better than the fdm prints ive held.  that said, fdm does have some room for improving (smaller extruders and designing the model specifically for it), but still not to SLA level.

the beholder i got cost ...$30 IIRC.

Sanjay

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

WHite - did it happen to your dragons? 

Yup, and it was from a $75 USD set - Dragons Don't Share 2014 Edition.  It's also happened sort of on my Ebonwrath as well, but nowhere near as bad. 

Can't remember if anything else has had such at this time. 

• Like 3

Just for contrast, wymgear, cthulhu, and temple dragon have had no issues, at least for me.

narthrax's wings are fine, but their torso is slowly tilting forward.

• Like 5

i really wonder if temperature and moisture in the air have anything to do with it.

doesnt make sense it happens to some, not others.

Sanjay

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Just for contrast, wymgear, cthulhu, and temple dragon have had no issues, at least for me.

narthrax's wings are fine, but their torso is slowly tilting forward.

I suspect my Wyrmgear wouldn't have any issues standing up.... Hopefully.  I say hopefully because that's a lot of greenstuff and Apoxie Sculpt on him... 

But he's been pinned a fair bit, and will be getting even more pins before primer goes on.... 

No issues with either of my temple dragons, and Narthrax I think is good.  Poor guy got assembled, then put aside... 

... As for the Kickstarter, hmm, kind of curious what initial unlocks we will be seeing to say the least... 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 3