Pre-Launch Bones 5 Excitement thread

Darsc Zacal

39 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

i dont fully agree with that.  Wargamers use Forgeworld titans, etc.  Not all gamers obviously but more than you would think.

yes, some ppl may have issues with storage, but thats not a general rule. it depends how much space you are willing to keep for storage at your house :) 

Also, mode of travel. if you travel to play, but have a car, moving 1 or 2 larger models shoudlnt be that much of an issue.  And there are mini cases available for stuff like that too.

I think the largest issue is how much money are people willing to sink in for the hobby.

Maybe years of warhammer, travelling to painting contests (where people make custom cases to hold their entries), etc has me jaded with stuff like what is practical :) :) :)

Sanjay

I think the big difference here is usage. Making a two-foot-tall model for wargaming is somewhat practical, because it will see use on the table relatively frequently. 

A creature that size for D&D, on the other hand, is most likely going to see use as an end boss of some kind, the sort of thing you see once or twice a campaign (and not usually the same thing twice). I can't wait to put Ma'al on the table, but once I do, that model will sit on a shelf for the rest of forever. I'm unlikely to use a tarrasque more than once, and big dragons in my games are not generic, so most won't see repeated use.

Given that use rate, I honestly have all the gigantic creature minis I'm likely to need.

Not that I wouldn't be interested to see more, mind you.

But where I think Bones has a big opportunity is in stuff like vessels (space, air, seafaring ships), buildings and terrain features. I love Bonehenge, the orrery, the shipping containers. I hope to see at least two good-sized ships, and I think a series of modular castle walls/towers/gates would be awesome. Generic ships can see repeat use, and more unique pieces like the Stygian Barge can become constant fixtures if the PCs take control of them. Same with castle walls: any town can use the walls, but a unique gate or guard tower can be something important or known to the players.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Sanael said:

I think the big difference here is usage. Making a two-foot-tall model for wargaming is somewhat practical, because it will see use on the table relatively frequently. 

A creature that size for D&D, on the other hand, is most likely going to see use as an end boss of some kind, the sort of thing you see once or twice a campaign (and not usually the same thing twice). I can't wait to put Ma'al on the table, but once I do, that model will sit on a shelf for the rest of forever. I'm unlikely to use a tarrasque more than once, and big dragons in my games are not generic, so most won't see repeated use.

Given that use rate, I honestly have all the gigantic creature minis I'm likely to need.

Not that I wouldn't be interested to see more, mind you.

But where I think Bones has a big opportunity is in stuff like vessels (space, air, seafaring ships), buildings and terrain features. I love Bonehenge, the orrery, the shipping containers. I hope to see at least two good-sized ships, and I think a series of modular castle walls/towers/gates would be awesome. Generic ships can see repeat use, and more unique pieces like the Stygian Barge can become constant fixtures if the PCs take control of them. Same with castle walls: any town can use the walls, but a unique gate or guard tower can be something important or known to the players.

agreed- models in warhammer get used alot more since its based on your army make up.

But, do you just use stuff you have?

For example, we use dragon sized based on the 2e size charts.  great wyrms are massive. 250 ft+ in some cases with tail (so on our large grid table, 25+ squares with each square being 10 ft x 10 ft (1 inch = 5 ft)).  So when i want a great wyrm, i put whatever dragon i have in the middle of a huge piece of cardboard that we have for various sized monsters (Like a horde of 20 orcs, i have i think 3 or 4 orcs, the rest are squares with a # on it so i can track them in a spreadsheet).

I have 2 dracoliches painted (1 the metal reaper kaladrax and 1 the bones 1 or 2 kaladrax ...the very big one).... but if i need a great wyrm dracolich, i put the cardboard that is really big, and just put kaladrax in the middle of it.  "you all see this emerge from beneath the treasure pile....just its the size of that cardboard base"  

so i use the larger stuff since no one has EVERY monster from every adventure, especially for higher level campaigns since most monsters dont have models.  so you can use a large tarrasque, lets say, as a gargantua, or a unique demon, or a devil war engine, etc.

Sanjay

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

the standard table size is 4 x 6 ft  and can be as small as 4 x 4 and ive seen much larger of course.

while a dinner table may be smaller, if you are doing a boss battle (most big creatures would be special encounters), it would be a party vs the 1 creature.   How small are the dinner tables people use? :)

Sanjay

I can only speak for myself.  My table with all the extensions is 3'x6'.  Thats for 6 players all with their stuff like character sheets, dice, refreshments etc.  Leaving probably 3'x3' of table space for the grid.  the typical battlemat from Paizo is 24" x 36"  With that amount of space a creature with a 6"x6" base or larger isn't practical.  I now have a large room dedicated to D&D.  With 2 3'x6' tables put together for a space of 6'x6'.  However, play space is about 4'x4' as I have a smaller table on top with the grid on it.    I also have a table behind me that is stacked with containers full of miniatures and terrain. (Dwarven forge mostly)  I have a mobile cart with drawers for everything I might need for the session including a laptop on top to look up things quickly or play music (need better speakers)

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

I can only speak for myself.  My table with all the extensions is 3'x6'.  Thats for 6 players all with their stuff like character sheets, dice, refreshments etc.  Leaving probably 3'x3' of table space for the grid.  the typical battlemat from Paizo is 24" x 36"  With that amount of space a creature with a 6"x6" base or larger isn't practical.  I now have a large room dedicated to D&D.  With 2 3'x6' tables put together for a space of 6'x6'.  However, play space is about 4'x4' as I have a smaller table on top with the grid on it.    I also have a table behind me that is stacked with containers full of miniatures and terrain. (Dwarven forge mostly)  I have a mobile cart with drawers for everything I might need for the session including a laptop on top to look up things quickly or play music (need better speakers)

Ahh thats pretty big.  We play in my home theater area.  So we move  table to the center and put our grid board on it (3 ft x 5 ft ).  But people sit on the sofa seating around it. drinks are in the drink holders, laptops and paper is on their laps, etc, so that stuff doesnt take up space on the board.

6 minutes ago, Marc said:

What? Oh no!

yes, basically they are trying to setup the campaign + prep for reaper convention and it became too much.  so safest was to move kickstarter OUT to october.

September would have been nice, but more time to sell stuff.  So far, i'm at around $150-200 that i can pledge...

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

Ahh thats pretty big.  We play in my home theater area.  So we move  table to the center and put our grid board on it (3 ft x 5 ft ).  But people sit on the sofa seating around it. drinks are in the drink holders, laptops and paper is on their laps, etc, so that stuff doesnt take up space on the board.

Sanjay

I used to have a second table for drinks and such.  It was a little card table.  But it broke.  So now I use the top of it for the grid in my new setup.  But yea, everyone's stuff takes up room on the table.  I also give handouts sometimes so people's folders get full.  Especially with the D&D/Call of Cthulhu game Im running.  Lots of handouts.  But while I have a lot of table space.  Most people dont and when I started playing we only had the dinning table.  I remember as a player I went to a friends house to play.  We only had a card table.  We had room for nothing and there was 7 of us plus the DM.

Edited by Bane Of Humanity
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Unfortunately I did not know that a pirate ship was a running joke. How sad.

I forgot how it started.  I think it had something to do with a large ship displayed in Reaper Byran's office back in bones 2.  Since then, people have nagged for a ship and Reaper has gleefully teased us about it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

Wargaming is different from D&D.  Specifically warhammer40k  Those are played on a huge tables even when you dont have a titan.  D&D is played on a dinning table in the kitchen in most places.  (at least thats how I started)  

There are lots of us who use our Reaper Minis for both D&D and wargaming. 

49 minutes ago, Sanael said:

Agreed and seconded. 

29 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

I can only speak for myself.  My table with all the extensions is 3'x6'.  

I have a 4' x 10' conference table for D&D and a separate 4'x6' table for wargaming.  My best friend has a modular table that he uses for both wargaming and D&D - it can make two 4'x6' tables, one 5'x7' or one 6'x8'.   He also has a smaller counter height 42" x 42" table in his home office that he uses for D&D for his smaller campaigns.   We know that it's been a privilege of space and finances to have built the gaming spaces we have.  Most of my other friends play around kitchen tables that vary in size from 3'x3 to 4'x8'. 

Over the years I've played D&D on every thing from tiny coffee tables to multiple card tables set up next to each other to the set up I have now. For wargames, I've been beyond that, playing games set up on hotel conference room floors at various cons. 

3 minutes ago, Chris Palmer said:

Just finished watching  the last 20 minutes or so of Thursdays Reaper Live, and there was one more preview they showed.

Yay for more cavalry!!!  (and non-human to boot!)

fullsizeoutput_50ae.jpeg

Oooh!

I hope the riders are removable. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Oooh!

I hope the riders are removable. 

Me too!  

And kind of hoping they're in original Bones too, so slicing those torsos off to make rider variants will be super easy.

Now wishing I hadn't gotten rid of my extra Goblins from Bones 4;  think of the variety of riders you could make!

• Like 9

I for one don't mind the delay on the start. With having vacation the day after I just wasn't getting hyped up for this (kinda like B4 tbhwy).

7 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

I love those!!!  You really did a great job of capturing their looks. Well done!   

Remove the tentacles an those would be great cyclops heads as well! ::):

I was thinking ettin myself. ::D:

• Like 4