Pre-Launch Bones 5 Excitement thread

Darsc Zacal

I like big models, but I don't find a necessity to keep going bigger. Make a figure appropriate for what it is, and be done with it. If I can use it on the table, great. If it is display, great.

As for table size? Yeah we use a small table. I think our kitchen table is ~ 4ft x 2.5ft, and we have a 3ft x 3ft card table that we put next to it. We have three 1.5ft x 1ft folding side tables that we put around us for laptops and snacks. Between the DM screen and the map, we are CROWDED for D&D. It is difficult for me to make maps with any amount of size to them because of it. If I was doing a Big Monster set up, I'd pretty much need to be doing a sequence of rooms in stacked maps and say "you move east" or something and put in a new mini-map.

Next session I am giving up my darn screen and will be dancing around the table as 36 different NPCs (I never should have made a social event). I need ALL the table space for the gala area.

Maybe Bones V will have a "fancy people" set, in case I lose my mind and decide to do this again!

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, redambrosia said:
4 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Maybe Bones V will have a "fancy people" set, in case I lose my mind and decide to do this again!

I'd be thrilled with this.

While I’m primarily a wargamer, I certainly can see the RPG/painting/diorama appeal in a set with about a half dozen medieval court dancing couples, seated royal musicians, footmen etc. throw in a buffet table with a big sculpted sailing ship in the center and it would be perfect.  

Added points for making it a costume ball! 

Basically, the costume ball scene from “Ever After” ::D:

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 13

I don't game at all.

Still like to create and build armies for fun.

The occasional huge model is fine by me as a centrepiece but I don't need a bigger one with every kickstarter.

One or two are fine and certainly not bigger than Ma'aldrakar, it's too much.

I liked that dragon, pledged for it and ended up selling it, it took up too much space.

As for the fancy civilians, it's a niche thing, make it a small add on or something so people who like will pledge for it while others will leave it alone instead of winding up with a big part of a core set that's useless to most.

• Like 5

I have to say, while I have been thinking that I don't need Bones 5, a set of court figures would certainly be something that I'd pledge for...

16 hours ago, StarFyre said:

the standard table size is 4 x 6 ft  and can be as small as 4 x 4 and ive seen much larger of course.

... How small are the dinner tables people use? :)

As a wargamer, the question of dinner table size has always been of interest.  ::D: I used to have one that had three leaves, and maxed out at 3.5 feet by 7 feet, but it was abandoned two moves ago.  My kids had left it in pretty sad shape by then.  

Last move, that was replaced by the table belonging to my significant other, which would extend to 3.5 feet by 6 feet or so, although we had access to a multi-use space in that house where my 5' by 6' (2 folding banquet tables) set-up could be deployed.

In the current house, we theoretically have more space overall, but it's divided into a bunch of small rooms, so there's really nowhere that the 5x6 table fits with room to walk around three sides comfortably. I still have the tables, currently doing utility work singly. I also have a 4x6 one-piece folding table which will fit in the "library" (mostly), and the dining room table is now a dedicated game table with a dinner table topper.  It's 3x5 in the game well interior, so war-games now have something of a "bonsai" quality to them.  (Maybe split the table size discussion off on Off-Topic Rampancy?)

From my POV, anything bigger than, oh, say 6" square, is really only useful if it is acting as scenery over which other miniatures are moving.  A ship would be good, or ruins, or a city gatehouse, but giant dragons and kaiju, not so much.

Edited by Rob Dean
Autocorrect fail...
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Chris Palmer said:

While I’m primarily a wargamer, I certainly can see the RPG/painting/diorama appeal in a set with about a half dozen medieval court dancing couples, seated royal musicians, footmen etc. throw in a buffet table with a big sculpted sailing ship in the center and it would be perfect.  

I approve of that idea.

• Like 4

My table is 4'x14'  and I have side TV trays for people's stuff.

I am ambivalent about the change to October for the start.  I will be traveling at that time.  It is our traditional vacation time with our anniversary on October 3rd.  We will be in Yosemite, so probably not good internet connection.

• Like 3

Just my 32bits, I would love a Pirate Ship in 28mm scale that does not cost an arm and a leg and would have access to the hull.  This would work great for many D&D themed stories I have and better than the pieces of paper I use to represent the decks of the ship.  I could then reuse the ship with my wargaming group when we play Frostgrave: Archipelago.  While Firelock games has some killer pirate ships they are hard to find and expensive to purchase and would love some middle ground.

I get that they are probably joking but I definitely pledge for a few if offered.

• Like 9

Well if they do make something bigger than Maal Drakar.  I hope its a ship or some terrain piece.  I could live with that.  They have proven that they can make a boat.  (I just wish it was more mini friendly)

They could kill 2 birds and make a pirate ship and then create "optional parts" to convert it into an airship.  I could see the cost easily being $150-200 though just based on how much Maal Drakar is and prices might increase if relations with China keep turning south.  (thought maybe that will bring back manufacturing jobs.)  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I approve of that idea.

It is a masquerade and I airbrushed basic masks to give to my players already. It kinda is going to be that set up... lol

Bones IV figures are included in the setup. 

Not a lot of non-combatant figures around who aren't Dreadmere villagers, and they're glum. Does Reaper have a more cheerful non-mouseling set/theme of stuff? Maybe it is time for one!

• Like 6

I had a social session in my Monday game. The party was invited to a noble's party. I didn't see the need for minis for it. TBH, it would have just increased the amount of time spent on it, setting up minis, moving them around (party did follow the host to see if she was a suspect), & finally taking them down after the encounter was over. To each it's own thou.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

For non-combatants that can work in fantasy, try Old Glory 25s -> Blue Moon Manufacturing Line -> Swashbucklers, Rogues and Desperadoes -> Duelists packs. Also if you search the Foundry Miniatures site for "Civilian", you'll find some stuff that might be useful.

Mirliton Miniatures has markets, banquets and such in their Medieval section.

I wonder how many people buy that.

• Like 5

I'm sure my gaming group will be pleased about the move to October. Two people will be trudging back from Dragon Con the first week of September and will need that extra month of paychecks to rebuild their hobby fund.

I explained how the pledge manager works and they're still of the opinion that they need to have the money up front in order to afford Nice Things.

• Like 7