Sign in to follow this  
Darsc Zacal

Pre-Launch Bones 5 Excitement thread

Now, seeing more previews in the pics, I really feel the date delay to october.   Want the Kickstarter to begin ...

Sanjay

• Like 4

On 9/1/2019 at 8:29 AM, Lidless Eye said:

They've said before the big problem is that they can use certain monsters with the proper name, but would have to print a big chunk of legalese somewhere on them.  That's why they go with other names or use the "proper names" from adventures, like the Rusty Dragon Inn Owlbear just being called "Beaky" and all the Aboleths having sub-names.

On 9/1/2019 at 11:25 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

At Reapercon, did anyone see any flumphs in the wild?

I did ask Julie about them, and the answer is still negative. :down: It's probably because they're so distinctive it would be very difficult to do something that was different enough (just my guess though, I didn't want to press her on it). She then told me about the time that Ral Partha or TSR once tried to copyright the term "red dragon." :blink: 

On 9/2/2019 at 12:07 AM, Darsc Zacal said:

With as many Bones V minis as there were on display, when you add up how many minis there have been on offer in the average Bones kickstarter, there is a Ton of minis for Bones V we haven’t seen yet.

Did anyone get any of the ReaperPeeps or artists/sculptors to spill the beans on anything that hasn’t been shown yet?

Asking for a friend. :devil:

I got several pics of some of the sculptors' monitors that I'll be posting up in the ReaperCon pics thread soon. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
New information
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

I did ask Julie about them, and the answer is still negative. :down: It's probably because they're so distinctive it would be very difficult to do something that was different enough (just my guess though, I didn't want to press her on it). She then told me about the time that (I think) Ral Partha once tried to copyright the term "red dragon." :blink: 

I had thought that flumphs were under the OGL, considering that Frog God Games had them in Tome of Horrors. I still remain hopeful that they'll show up, I love them to death (as well as many other people here).

Not surprised that Ral Partha tried to do that, a lot of companies will try legal shenanigans on the off chance that it'll actually work. When Games Workshop couldn't do that with the terms 'space marine' and 'Imperial guard', they changed their names to Adeptus Astartes and Astra Militarum, respectively.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

I did ask Julie about them, and the answer is still negative. :down: It's probably because they're so distinctive it would be very difficult to do something that was different enough (just my guess though, I didn't want to press her on it). She then told me about the time that (I think) Ral Partha once tried to copyright the term "red dragon." :blink: 

More likely TSR than Ral Partha. Partha never really did that.

And TSR had a cardboard standup mini that was labeled on the bottom as "Nazi™". :B):

• Like 5

Talespinner confirmed that the beast is indeed a Catoblepass.

76F18239-0F3F-4015-AF10-948EAC869929.png.946682c32b886572655cb70af28c1b89.png

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 7

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Talespinner confirmed that the beast is indeed a Catoblepass.

Oh good, I was kind of hoping it was. I can always find a use for a couple of cheap Catoblepas (Catoblepi?). 

Question about a potential KS mini... Can anyone who attended Rcon give me a feel for that Cyclop's size? I saw an image with it holding up a sheep and kind of reaching for/patting the ground. Kind of made me think of the Odyssey. If it's the right size I think a Syrian Hyksos from Iron Wind might be the right size and look to kind of mod it clinging to the bottom of that sheep for a Homeric diorama. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 9/1/2019 at 11:31 AM, PaganMegan said:

Pictures the OGL on a microdot imbedded in each base.

You're too young to remember microdots! (Oh, wait, I made you watch Year of the Comet, didn't I?)

But, yes, they need to have the OGL attached to them, I don't know if the packaging will do.

It's why the Knights of the Dinner Table comics used to also contain gaming material - so they could slap the OGL on it. (I think that the Pathfinder comics may have game material as well, and for the same reason.)

On 9/2/2019 at 3:07 AM, Darsc Zacal said:

With as many Bones V minis as there were on display, when you add up how many minis there have been on offer in the average Bones kickstarter, there is a Ton of minis for Bones V we haven’t seen yet.

Did anyone get any of the ReaperPeeps or artists/sculptors to spill the beans on anything that hasn’t been shown yet?

Asking for a friend. :devil:

Marshmallow Sophies?

And, back on topic - gods above and below, I could use those harpies right now.

IMG_20190829_110755.jpg

I am working on two completely separate encounters that both involve them strygian dames.

Also - Undead Pirates as you've (Hic!) never sheen them before....

8B7EB9E9-D010-4C57-A9F4-774F46204CA4.jpeg

The Auld Grump

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Oh good, I was kind of hoping it was. I can always find a use for a couple of cheap Catoblepas (Catoblepi?). 

Catoblepones.

Really.

::D:

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Marshmallow Sophies?

Sure. If Reapercon can have painted Gummi Bears,  why not marshmallows painted as Sophies?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Question about a potential KS mini... Can anyone who attended Rcon give me a feel for that Cyclop's size? I saw an image with it holding up a sheep and kind of reaching for/patting the ground. Kind of made me think of the Odyssey. If it's the right size I think a Syrian Hyksos from Iron Wind might be the right size and look to kind of mod it clinging to the bottom of that sheep for a Homeric diorama. 

Back in the early days of Bones 4 I requested Bones sheep and adventurers on all fours wearing sheepskin disguises and they all called me mad. Mad! Bwahahaha!

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

I can definitely use a few of these

20190901_132753.thumb.jpg.d29a516dd053f81d07c14328f58dcd54.jpg

Cyclops. Sorry nothing I can use for scale. I just remember it was a large figure.

20190901_133621.thumb.jpg.6f091e174700f4c5db16b58f5f30d1a5.jpg

20190901_133832.thumb.jpg.081d9590da84e228461c6d9b4e2966c1.jpg

Edited by pcktlnt
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7