Sign in to follow this  
Darsc Zacal

Pre-Launch Bones 5 Excitement thread

On the reveals of the Core set, I now feel comfortable in my decision to hold off on metal purchases.  Everything that's come out recently I've wanted is in there, minus a few Halflings and the Dungeon Dwellers line-up.

Who knows, maybe we'll see some Dungeon Dwellers.  I know some of the 25th Anniversary pieces were spotted at ReaperCon with slight conversions.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Back in the early days of Bones kickstarters a now former Reaper employee said, and I don’t know if this still holds true currently but I suspect it does, that if at least a third of the backers liked and pledged for any particular mini, that was considered a success.

Which of course means if two thirds don’t like something, it’s still considered a success.

Which I think is why Reaper is willing to take a chance with some occasional off the wall ideas for minis.

And this makes me happy.

It doesn’t bother me that other people, maybe even the majority, don’t want or maybe don’t like a dragon like Gauth, but there’s enough people that do that I get to have one... or two. ^_^

And those other people get to have the other dragons that they, and me too, do like. Whether they’re Reptilian or feline or whatever.

This diversity in their miniatures plays a large part in why I enjoy collecting Reaper minis so much.

They aren't going to be able to track me bc I'm literally going to just pledge $600 out the gate and let that pledge ride. Hopefully they'll just count me as a 'like' for everything. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I’d been asking for Gauth since the first Bones kickstarter.

ReaperBryan used to say, wouldn’t you like something better.

I was lucky enough to finally break down and buy the metal version shortly before Reaper unexpectedly ceased production of their metal dragons.

Now I have the metal Gauth still in his case, and the Bones one still in its baggy until I decide which version I want to do first.

Picked up Gauth a long time ago when it was in a cardboard box. I liked it but I didn't love it, thus it & allot of other heavy metal figures made their way down to RCon & onto the melt table. I haven't picked up the Bones version yet. Again, there is something about that dragon.

I haven't done a Core set since Bones 1, so I'll hold off expectation till I see it.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

We saw undead pirates right?
Then regular pirates?
All thats missing is the black pearl and Johnny Depp

And Otter Pirates.  Don't forget the Otter Pirates.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dice4hire said:

It looks like the core might be interesting me again, even at 120. 

I'm ok with a $120 buy in, provided the value is there.  Frankly I'm surprised it took this long for the pledge level to go up. I'll probably pledge that and then see how I want to allocate it.  I'm still sitting on a pile of unpainted Bones from 1-4.   Most of 4 is still in the boxes.  But, eh, if it's going to be another year before the pledge manager closes I have a lot of time to decide. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

I have to disagree with your take on Ebonwrath and Blightfang.  They dont have "reptilian" bodies.  They look more like feline bodies.  Sure they have scales but, the way they would walk and stand...Just like a cat.  Which is what I like.  

perhaps i should have said 'animalistic' instead of something specific. What I meant is that they are definitely not Humanoid bodies, and that is what I prefer. Dragons based on an animal for its body shape. 

A lot of it is due to Gauth's arms. He has extremely long arms, which is usually indicative of a human or primate, as well as the bulging muscles that are also more human-like than actual animal muscles. Large hands with long fingers also bring to mind a primate.

like, here's an example. Two Reaper dragons in very similar poses, but I much prefer the Pathfinder red over Gauth. The arms and overall body shape are more my kind of dragon, more animalistic and less human, while Gauth is very, very humanoid to me

i'm not saying Gauth is a bad dragon, and no one should like him. I'm just saying why his kind of dragon is not my thing, and i wouldn't divert money specifically to one like him.

fa43ec7cbe47319e617edd71082a24c2.png

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I love the pathfinder dragon. It's one of only 3 dragons I've painted even though I have a bunch. Gauth not so much and I wouldn't have him if he wasn't included in the core set. Tastes vary and I'm not one for telling others what they should like or not, but I'm agreeing with Sirithiliel on this one.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Zink said:

I love the pathfinder dragon. It's one of only 3 dragons I've painted even though I have a bunch. Gauth not so much and I wouldn't have him if he wasn't included in the core set. Tastes vary and I'm not one for telling others what they should like or not, but I'm agreeing with Sirithiliel on this one.

Mines been on my desk assembled for a while, waiting for those pesky robots to get out of the way so a proper glorious dragon can be painted.. 

..Meanwhile,poor Ebonwrath sits in the back, with colours kind of blocked in but untouched for a year or more... :ph34r:

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 4

I know it's early, but I made a supporter image for signature files for those who have/will be supporting all five kickstarters... 

Bones V.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

the dragons shown so far for this Kickstarter look great to me though, I really like them and probably will get each one

Same here, Im sad to say that I have not painted any of the dragons ive gotten because they wont keep their pose when I boil them. Couple days later they are bent right back where they started. There is only 1 that I have thats in good shape.  The rest just dont wanna cooperate.  (not counting the really big ones)  With the new sculpts which are 10 times better...I think Im done trying...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

Same here, Im sad to say that I have not painted any of the dragons ive gotten because they wont keep their pose when I boil them. Couple days later they are bent right back where they started. There is only 1 that I have thats in good shape.  The rest just dont wanna cooperate.  (not counting the really big ones)  With the new sculpts which are 10 times better...I think Im done trying...

yea, my older dragons have that problem. Stormwing, Cinder, etc. My Blightfang is good though, and Ebonwrath is okay. Out of the new dragons, my Dance of Death wants to fall over, and my T'Rauk's wings are bowed down almost to the ground

but the new dragons look to be a much, much stiffer material and i have hopes for them

• Like 2