Pre-Launch Bones 5 Excitement thread

7 hours ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

I dont know about a ship.  After seeing the boat from the last kickstarter.  I dont know if I can trust them to make it generic OR as practical for the table as I want.  (I really think Dwarven Forge should give it a go)
The issue I see with a lot of Reaper's Terrain...its not entirely mini friendly.

Are you saying you would like a normal barge with extra parts to turn it into a barge of the dead and a normal ship with extra parts to turn it into a campy pirate ship?

I know I would have bought the barge if I could have used it in every game I needed a barge and added the skulls and bones for only the games I needed a barge of the dead.

And I know I will not buy a over the top pirate ship but I will buy a well done normal ship.

• Like 7
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

THREAD SET TO LOCK WHEN PROJECT LAUNCHES: Oct 1 Noon CST     Updated August 8th, 2019 ***It’s been officially announced.  The Bones V Kickstarter will be delayed and is now ex

Tough crowd. Hmm. Maybe you guys need something fun and cute!   Here's Yuka and her baby polar bear companion, Tuktu! This is from one of our Kid Heroes Stretch Goals.   Sculpted b

Who wants a preview?   Hercules, by Bobby Jackson based on art by Talin. *Somebody* is going to kill that hydra. May as well be Hercules.  

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, kodiakbear said:

Are you saying you would like a normal barge with extra parts to turn it into a barge of the dead and a normal ship with extra parts to turn it into a campy pirate ship?

I know I would have bought the barge if I could have used it in every game I needed a barge and added the skulls and bones for only the games I needed a barge of the dead.

And I know I will not buy a over the top pirate ship but I will buy a well done normal ship.

The décor of the ship can be added to suit anyone's needs.  I would want it as plane as possible for that purpose.  If we are gonna add parts..I would want parts to make it an airship.  
The barge itself was great but too specific.  I also dont need skulls on everything.  There are skulls everywhere on their stuff.  Thats how you know its theirs.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

The thing is, the original requests were for sailing ships, it was Reaper who brought up a pirate ship.

There isn’t any difference. Not in the real world anyway. And usually not in historic fiction.

A classic (movie trope) pirate ship is a sailing ship captured, taken over, and crewed by Pirates and then subsequently used to commit further Acts-of-Piracy. 

But I suppose a fantasy pirate ship might have extra qualities.

I think more units will get sold if it is a realistic ship that is easy to customize up as whatever the ultimate customer envisions as piratical. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
1 hour ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

The décor of the ship can be added to suit anyone's needs.  I would want it as plane as possible for that purpose.  If we are gonna add parts..I would want parts to make it an airship.  
The barge itself was great but too specific.  I also dont need skulls on everything.  There are skulls everywhere on their stuff.  Thats how you know its theirs.

they took a page from the GW handbook.  MOOOORREEEE SSKKKUUULLLLSSSSSS....

on a model note: these dragons do look good. much better than the previous reaper stuff IMHO.  sadly, argent didnt turn out as well as hoped (scale and even the finer detail on him ...although from the pics some of that was apparent).

Id agree that these are some of the best dragons in recent years BUT still taking into account price.  I recently got the forgeworld khorne dragon and a couple years back the mierce dragon. they blow these away BUT they also cost a hell of a lot more, so its relative. and they are resin, so the finer detail is expected. without it, they would be no value to them at all.

the red and green from bones 5 look a lot better than the others though.   i really wish i could get the files and have someone print them for me on an SLA printer. 

i just really hope i get a proper: titan, aboleth (without any wierd added tentacles, which i will need to cut off and resculpt), larger sized golems, and astral dreadnought  :)  those are probably my top wants now.  i dont expect some of the rarer stuff i want. hehe

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

i just really hope i get a proper: titan, aboleth (without any wierd added tentacles, which i will need to cut off and resculpt), larger sized golems, and astral dreadnought  :)  those are probably my top wants now.  i dont expect some of the rarer stuff i want. hehe

Sanjay

Have to remember that some d&d monsters are copyrighted and Reaper has to make things that are similar but not exact. I don't think they can make an outright aboleth without adjusting it in some way

• Like 8
10 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

Have to remember that some d&d monsters are copyrighted and Reaper has to make things that are similar but not exact. I don't think they can make an outright aboleth without adjusting it in some way

Aboleths are not part of the product identity license. Beholders, yuan-ti, illithids are plus some others. Aboleths for example are in Pathfinder but beholders are not.  Eastern front made a proper aboleth but don't get me started on issues dealing with Mick (owner).

Sanjay

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, StarFyre said:

Aboleths are not part of the product identity license. Beholders, yuan-ti, illithids are plus some others. Aboleths for example are in Pathfinder but beholders are not.  Eastern front made a proper aboleth but don't get me started on issues dealing with Mick (owner).

Sanjay

Product identity license only matters if you're working under that license. WotC made a license available, they did not abandon their IP claims. The terms of the license both allow the use of things that might otherwise be protected and prevent the use of things that might otherwise be allowed to anyone that avails himself of that license. And you have to do specific things to get the license.

Since I haven't seen any license disclaimers from Reaper, I'm willing to assume that they're not either limited or advantaged by that license.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, TGP said:

There isn’t any difference. Not in the real world anyway. And usually not in historic fiction.

A classic (movie trope) pirate ship is a sailing ship captured, taken over, and crewed by Pirates and then subsequently used to commit further Acts-of-Piracy. 

But I suppose a fantasy pirate ship might have extra qualities.

I think more units will get sold if it is a realistic ship that is easy to customize up as whatever the ultimate customer envisions as piratical. 

Exactly!

Make it a normal galleon, in real life it's raising a black flag telling it apart from a Navy or Merchant ship.

Treasure chests and cargo apply to any ship as well.

Maybe make an optional set with tattered sails and some broken planks so one could turn the galleon into the Flying Dutchman..

• Like 8
3 hours ago, StarFyre said:

...larger sized golems, and astral dreadnought...

I am a fan of Golems at any size level, out of all sorts of different materials. Count me in on that. (And since I kinda have half failed to stay super current with D&D / RPGs...)

Whatsa Astral Dreadnought ??

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

This Dragon appeals to me.

I don't need it, but this is the most awesome Dragon I have seen in years.

Also..those succubi girls, I really like them, I'm thinking of getting those and make them a devillish Harem for my Tomb Kings.

image.png.e04c94f616352b117e71eb9a29588391.png

To be honest I like this dragon a huge amount.  The body, the pose the mount on that log his face and scales.  All of him.  I will get him even if I get nothing else, of course I am getting a bunch of those golems too, so maybe the list just starts with this guy.

In painting him I like the greens and yellows on him but I think I would love a pattern like this guy:Image result for striped crocodile

• Like 10

I like this sculpt a lot also. 

Since I would be using it in games the stump would be best left off but it adds so much character to the sculpt and while it is not a 100% match for a 3.5e or 5e D&D dragon I will do very nicely.

Now the question is what is it's size?  I have an annoying hole in my collection of D&D minis that needs a certain sized green dragon to fill it.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, kodiakbear said:

Since I would be using it in games the stump would be best left off but it adds so much character to the sculpt and while it is not a 100% match for a 3.5e or 5e D&D dragon I will do very nicely.

Now the question is what is it's size?  I have an annoying hole in my collection of D&D minis that needs a certain sized green dragon to fill it.

Guessing from photos, I believe that base will be at 3" or 4" in diameter by itself, so he's really, really big.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, kodiakbear said:

I do like him too! Looking closer at him it looks like the wings are much thinner as light seems to be showing through. If so, it would solve many of the weight problems seen with drooping wings on past models.  There are a couple of these dragons shown so far I am considering, we will see. i know I won't go for the Base set as I don't RPG, but certainly a few specific pieces. Missed out last time and had to piggyback my Chronoscope order. Not gonna miss out again.

• Like 4