Sign in to follow this  
Darsc Zacal

Pre-Launch Bones 5 Excitement thread

5 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

I will refer you to the Bones 1 Kickstarter page with the mid drive message video.  That specifically states otherwise.

oh interesting. i only remember the mass productions of mold parts.

sanjay

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

This would be cool, but I think the current kickstarter roll-out kind of operates on an economy of scale.  The hype, the huge supply of miniatures all for a good price, gets lots of people involved that might not otherwise.   if they were running smaller KS just for a one off set of miniatures, they'd get a lot less hype and attention and it would only be the fans specifically interested in that small set of minis participating.   If nothing else, there'd likely be a whole lot less of the "Well I'm already in for $600, what's another $40?" going on.

Well, I think that if their ability to produce models is drastically lower from that of China (to which is complete speculation as we dont have any idea what their production capacity will be once the factory is finished.)  There only option would be to work within their limits.  Especially if it becomes too expensive to do business with China, Which could be a possibility in the future.  However, you bring up a fair point which is I think the kickstarters will not continue much longer.  Bones 6 could be the last one.  If not bones 5...

• Like 3

While the factory in china is producing KS product, they usually did not also have the capacity to do restock product because KS production runs on something like 25 machines 24/7 for 9 or 10 months straight and that was just for regular bones.. Bones black is a different factory/company I believe.  

they have found a company in Texas and have some machines themselves to start doing re-stock production stateside (if I interpret things that have been said in various places) which is why the molds are being moved over here.  I would guess that KS production would remain overseas unless there becomes a feasible alternative in North America without a significant increase in costs.

I'm trying to decide if I'm just going to straight pledge $200 or $300 off the bat.. I'm getting mostly Dragons, and I've only gotten the core set 2 out of 4 times.. 

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

I'm trying to decide if I'm just going to straight pledge $200 or $300 off the bat.. I'm getting mostly Dragons, and I've only gotten the core set 2 out of 4 times.. 

im gonna do $200 and hope that can more than last me for all that i want :)

Sanjay

Edited by StarFyre
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

While the factory in china is producing KS product, they usually did not also have the capacity to do restock product because KS production runs on something like 25 machines 24/7 for 9 or 10 months straight and that was just for regular bones.. Bones black is a different factory/company I believe.  

they have found a company in Texas and have some machines themselves to start doing re-stock production stateside (if I interpret things that have been said in various places) which is why the molds are being moved over here.  I would guess that KS production would remain overseas unless there becomes a feasible alternative in North America without a significant increase in costs.

Do you know how many machines reaper might have for their new factory?
I know they did some production here for restock and their bases.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

Do you know how many machines reaper might have for their new factory?
I know they did some production here for restock and their bases

No.. Ed might have mentioned it in a Reaper Live, but I dont think it was more than 5 or 7 if they did mention a number

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Forgive me if I am wrong, but wasn't the original intent of the Bones kickstarters was to be able to have the production machines here in the US (Denton TX specifically)? I know the paint and basing machines are, why after 4 successful kickstarters are the machines for the mini's still not here? I only ask because I think that would 1)alleviate the current issue we are all seeing from the tariffs and 2) speed up production because you are only running your own stuff (not several other companies like I would think is currently happening). My understanding of these machines is: They are all the same TYPE of machine, meaning you have a certain size mold size that fits, and you just swap out the steel mold depended on what you will be making. So, wouldn't you just need about half a dozen machines and just change the mold as needed? 

I'll see if I can dig up the Reaper Live where they answered those exact questions and transcribe the answers here.

Re: initial amount - I think I'll be forced due to finances to start low this time. I will at the very least put down enough for the core set. Hopefully near the end I'll be able to throw in some more, but we'll see. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 6

After Bones 1 IIRC, they were able to get 1 machine stateside. This machine has been manufacturing bases.

After Bones 4, if I remember correctly, they were able to get 2 more machines in the US. However putting all machines to full use depends on 1) Factory space and 2) molds with a Made In The USA stamp or a 'made in' stamp that can be switched out.

Early molds were NOT made with this capability, however it has been discussed for some time now so that may have changed.

Costs for the plastic injection molds are MUCH more expensive, and vary by size/weight/complexity... but we're talking tens of thousands of dollars for each mold.

All of which goes to say... business is complicated.

• Like 12

Something else to be aware of with plastic injection molding machines.   It can take longer to purge out the plastic and change a mold than it can take to run a few thousand minis.  So the fewer machines you have, the more production time you lose when switching molds. 

• Like 13

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

And I don't know if it has been clearly stated, so I will.

Kickstarter is NOT a purchase.  It is an investment with promise of return on investment (minis in this case) when the venture succeeds.  KS ventures do fail; Reaper's will likely not, and is about as safe a bet as you can get.  What will likely happen is that the Kickstarter will be late.  There will be all sorts of delays, some of which Reaper will tell us about, some of which they will be swamped with and forget to tell us about.  There will be changes to models, especially models that are only concept art.  Sizes of models, especially big ones may need to be adjusted during manufacturing.  What is true is that Reaper will do their best to faithfully fulfill the promises they make during the KS, but they cannot see all issues two years in advance.

My other advice to anyone going into any KS, always add 6 months on to the delivery date promised.  Only once have I seen a KS full-fill on time.  They all have issues.  This one will not be an exception to that (if you go into it assuming this, then you will be a lot happier down the road).  If you can't deal with a 20 to 30 month wait for the product, don't back, because you will be unhappy.

I will point out here that in many cases it WILL fall under consumer protection legislation, though something this large usually falls outside of the time ranges covered.

• Like 4

On 9/22/2019 at 8:59 PM, NebulousMissy said:

So... getting back on topic, I do hope the dragons are ordinary Bones. And the character minis tend toward Bones Black. Each material has its strengths and I feel that would take advantage of those strengths most efficiently.

I agree.

On 9/23/2019 at 2:27 PM, Cyradis said:

You guys are making me glad that my game group doesn't really give a hoot about "proper" sizing. Just let us throw something cool looking down and we call it good enough.

Exactly that.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Something else to be aware of with plastic injection molding machines.   It can take longer to purge out the plastic and change a mold than it can take to run a few thousand minis.  So the fewer machines you have, the more production time you lose when switching molds. 

This is why Chessex sells off big bags of weird looking dice - it is cheaper, easier, and faster to just switch the colors, then bag up the mixed colored results from the first few runs of the new color.

Plus, gamers love to buy ugly dice by the pound! ::D: (Sounds like sarcasm, but isn't. We really, really do love to buy our big bags  o' ugly dice!)

The Auld Grump

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

This is why Chessex sells off big bags of weird looking dice - it is cheaper, easier, and faster to just switch the colors, then bag up the mixed colored results from the first few runs of the new color.

Plus, gamers love to buy ugly dice by the pound! ::D: (Sounds like sarcasm, but isn't. We really, really do love to buy our big bags  o' ugly dice!)

The Auld Grump

Is that where the 1lb bags come from, or is it a different SKU? 

• Like 3

It's the same idea behind the Mystery Flavor lollipops produced by Dum Dums. No reason to stop the machine, clean it, insert new flavor, then restart when you can just add the new flavor as the old one finishes and call the mix a feature.

• Like 8