Sign in to follow this  
Darsc Zacal

Pre-Launch Bones 5 Excitement thread

11 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

As someone who has recently rigged a small ship (simple rigging, not anywhere near as complex as actual rigging), it's a genuine pain in the rear.

I commented on stream that in many ways it would make sense to do a smaller ship, like a 4 or 6 gun sloop, instead of trying to make a galleon or frigate. Ed wasn't impressed by the idea, but I really do think a smaller ship without too much in the way of ornamentation would be a good product in the line.

Many a Pirate started out with a sloop and capturing bigger ships later..

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Anyway, something that would fit my Lost World?

The Stegosaurus Warrior is one that fits in, hoping for more.

I'd definitely like to see more from the Lost World.  The dino-men were fun, but that entire set was great (even with the suddenly enlarged Raptors)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

Sloops were by far the most common pirate vessels, because it was much easier to keep 20-30 men fed and paid than 150. And most merchant vessels weren't really capable of defending against a small ship any more than a big ship. (East Indiamen excepted, of course, but they were effectively warships that also had trade holds, not traders with a few guns.)

• Like 11

I'd be thrilled with a sloop!! Much more so than a bigger ship. It would get way more use in my games. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I'm no fan of laser cut wood terrain and buildings.

They would be awesome for gamers, but for me as a display piece it would be useless.

3D printing FTW!

• Like 5

A ship doesn’t have to be big. A Brig is a good size ship. I got one in MDF in a different Kickstarter. Size wise it’s comparable to the bones barge. 

I wouldnt mind something like this in bones. Here are a couple pics and a scale shot with a frigate. 

91C53714-4109-475C-ACA6-AEBA3C7D58B7.jpeg

58056720-3782-4BE6-B768-B29905C60778.jpeg

F51184D5-0B71-430B-BFEE-8AE66252D920.jpeg

AC5D697F-06B0-4999-8B3D-80895C720F61.jpeg

168C84A6-E9A0-4908-8772-926AF1D9E592.jpeg

BCCED0DE-C89D-46D1-B0E9-CEF79F18BDFB.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Maledrakh said:

rambling on about bones vs bones black.

The amount of droopy the dragons I have says they need to strengthen the legs and wings considerably.

My Gauth's wings are currently parallell to the ground while they should be standing straight up, and that is after I pinned his tail to the base in an effort to make him not cowtow completely. 

I would have looked at trying bones black material for the load-bearing parts if not all of the dragons.

But I do understand the logistical problems of  doing this. The thing is that as of now, many of the dragons and other large minis are quite simply substandard  because they droop over time.

Of course if they can manage to take the droopage into consideration when designing they can eliminate the problem that way. However, the amount of Bones 4 droopage says they have not been able to do that yet though.

do we know for sure if its due to bones not handling the weight -- would black be able to manage that better? or is it just an issue with PVC styled plastics?  ie. hard plastic like GW, resin, doesnt have that issue, but they are lighter, thinner, harder (resin is more brittle though).  Metal also doesnt have that issue but normally very large models are not made in metal anymore, and the older ones that were (the GW great imperial dragon), the wings were just the bones - the membrane had to made yourself (most ppl used foil, etc). 

i've started looking at the rock and argent wings.  my basement is cool -  i thought heat had an effect on drooping.   either way, i'm gonna drill/cut the main part of the wing support, bend brass rod and resculpt that front part of the wing. basically a long brass rod going right into the body.  should handle weight fine. 

but yeah. ppl shouldnt have to do surgery on models like this.  im used to it so no big deal i guess.

sanjay

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kodiakbear said:

The world always needs more platypus.

We need a Dire Platypus!  Also a basic sailing ship/sloop could be made in either Bones material, use the stiffer Bones Black for masts. Allows easy play or if someone does want sails and rigging can use light paper or even silk for sails.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, kodiakbear said:

Platypus familiars, Platypus characters, Platypus villagers, Platypus villians and Platypus monsters.  Heck robot Platypus are even needed. 

Robot platypus? That's otterly ridiculous! Who ever heard of such a thing?::P:::D:

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

3 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Sloops were by far the most common pirate vessels, because it was much easier to keep 20-30 men fed and paid than 150. And most merchant vessels weren't really capable of defending against a small ship any more than a big ship. (East Indiamen excepted, of course, but they were effectively warships that also had trade holds, not traders with a few guns.)

War Capable Merchantman were always my ship of choice when I played Pirates! and Pirates! Gold! (after my initial Sloop of course). Even when I had my Flotilla built up, I didn't keep anything bigger then a frigate (those damn Spanish Galleons would ALWAYS lag behind when I had battles go bad, and would get captured!)  

• Like 6