Darsc Zacal

Unofficial Bones V Enthusiasm and Comment thread *Previously the Completely Unofficial Commentary and Enthusiasm Thread For Reapers Upcoming Super Secret Project.

39 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

A very good point. I wasn't thrilled with their communications during Bones 4. There seemed to be a bit of hostility and snark near the middle, and at the end, there was almost no communication. I do worry how this one is going to go if they haven't bothered to get a new communications agent. It seems... ill advised to be rolling into a major KS without someone dedicated to public relations for them.

37 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Given how lovely KS comments are on the best of days... without someone dedicated to addressing them, and putting out fires, on a KS that'll be as big as Bones 5? Uff....

All points (and more) I brought up back in April (when bones 4 was still fulfilling, we all remember how communications were back then::o:), but so far its BAU:huh:

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

I'm still contemplating if I want to back this time.

Trade War and Brexit are hurdles and until now I have seen only a few really must haves, I have a huge backlog and am able to wait for retail.

The lack of good communications is also an issue for me and the last time it felt like ROW backers aren't even interesting enough anymore.

I might join for the minimum and wait till I see renders and such before I decide if and what I will pledge for, but maybe I won't even do that.

Still thinking about it.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

My plan at the moment is: put in a dollar and then wait till the very end of the pledge manager to order so I might avoid a couple of changes that I don't like and can see how Brexit plays out etc.

Thinking about doing the same thing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

My plan at the moment is: put in a dollar and then wait till the very end of the pledge manager to order so I might avoid a couple of changes that I don't like and can see how Brexit plays out etc.

I think this will be my plan as well and I do not even have the Brexit issue to worry about.  The way the Renders, changing Argent size(which I still think was worth getting), and the flat out horrible communication issues where US backers had literally no idea when shipping was even going to start, and many of the delays while reasonable were so mysterious or mis-communicated that the frustration was pretty bad.

• Like 7

My expectation is to go in for $100 and wait. Usually, I'll spend at least that much, for certain. I'm probably not going to go in as much for dragons this time around, but I'm sure there'll be expansions or even the Core that makes at least $100 worth it. Hopefully I'll make more headway in painting in the near future, too.

• Like 5

I dunno what to do about all my shipments being sent through the AU. It annoys me to no end, especially not having an option to get it directly even at additional cost. It really disincentivizes me from pledging. I'll be in for a buck for usre, would like to drop 200 the first day, but not sure.  

• Like 5

I have a feeling this is going to be the smallest Bones KS yet, because of so many just putting in a few dollars and waiting for the pledge manager.  Finances are forcing me to do that this year, unless I get some cash I'm not expecting. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

I have a feeling this is going to be the smallest Bones KS yet, because of so many just putting in a few dollars and waiting for the pledge manager.  Finances are forcing me to do that this year, unless I get some cash I'm not expecting. 

That's definitely a concern going into Bones 5. Hopefully, Reaper's working on something in the background to overcome the issues they've created for themselves from their prior endeavour.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, I plan to do all my pledging in the pledge manager, probably as late as possible. I want less of a chance of getting blindsided by more unannounced changes to sculpts and such.

• Like 4

I dont think you will see the decline everyone is thinking about. With the continual growth of table top gaming  a lot of people are new and looking to bulk up on minis. This really is a great way to do that at a good price. I hope at least that offsets the people that are upset about what happened in bones 4 and are waiting for the pledge manager. It really is a good way to break into the hobby. I guess we will see.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Redemtor said:

I dont think you will see the decline everyone is thinking about. With the continual growth of table top gaming  a lot of people are new and looking to bulk up on minis. This really is a great way to do that at a good price. I hope at least that offsets the people that are upset about what happened in bones 4 and are waiting for the pledge manager. It really is a good way to break into the hobby. I guess we will see.

Considering the 2019 ReaperCon attendence was 150% of the attendence from last year, you’re probably right.

• Like 9

When I mention a decline, I'm talking about just being smaller than Bones 3, which was "only" $2.7 million.  Part of that was because it was the shortest of the Bones KS. 

That's just the KS totals though.  Bones 4 was smaller  Bones 1 or 2 and had the lowest average pledge size, but my guess is that with the ability to add to the pledge manager, ultimately it ended up the largest so far. 

• Like 6

For me, it's a lack of funds (others are taking higher priority when it's running) combined with a lack of a unified voice from the company, a lack of a proper voice from the company (posting info in one of several locations doesn't get the info out reliably, especially when the place its announced changes), worry about things changing heavily from concept to render, and most importantly, things changing after it was one of the main pitches for that particular miniature. 

Am I still going to pledge a decent amount?  Depending on what's on the table, more than likely.  Just will have the bulk of my pledge done at the later stages, that's all. 

But the fact we're getting info on planned new releases from distributors typically (and not the manufacturer) does raise a bit of caution on my end, especially without someone dedicated to Kickstarter (and social media) comms. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From the pictures that have been shown, there is quite a lot I like (Cat pirates, undead pirates, black riders on horses, storm giant etc). But it will all depend on the general offer (i.e. what is in the core set, how is the core set divided into smaller groups, what are the expansions) and the conditions (shipping, Brexit, sculpts or concept art) etc.

• Like 5