Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

Weird West: A Prickly Pair (original sculpts)

Love the cacti folk! If you ever run something in New Crobuzon, do share. If I thought I could do it, I'd run something in Armada myself!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Cool creations!

Original and well executed!

Thanks! Glad you like them--it was a learning experience. 

8 hours ago, Dr Boom said:

Cactacae! You've gotta love a Mieville reference.

Nailed it! Ya know, there are enough Wyrd Victorian sculpts and body-horror monster minis out there to run a pretty solid intrigue-and-monsters campaign. Ooo, you'd need both a Sanity tracker AND a Bodily Integrity tracker (mutations are just insanities for your flesh after all).

6 hours ago, Iridil said:

Love the cacti folk! If you ever run something in New Crobuzon, do share. If I thought I could do it, I'd run something in Armada myself!

I'd love to see that, and I believe you can! Lord knows Reaper has Weird Pirates aplenty...and it's not like any monster, race, class, occupation, or building is too crazy to fit the setting. Just keep it grim, unjust, creepy, and factionalized; introduce something that a bunch of factions feel VERY strongly about in different ways, and let the PCs at it! 

It JUST now struck me that, with its themes of self-destructive obsession and nautical monster-hunting, you could describe "The Scar" as "Mieville meets Melville."

• Like 1

Great sculpts! Makes me think of the old joke: :"How do porcupines make love? Very carefully!"

• Haha 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DarcyPerry
      Hi, I'm a sculptor from New Zealand. I am mostly known for my dungeon delvers. Especially of the duck variety. 

• By Rigel
      The West, both Wild and Weird, was a diverse place! Apache tribes featured prominently in history and in fiction, but not on my shelves...until now!
      Artizan has some good Wild West figures, and a 3-pack of Apache characters suited my purposes perfectly. 

Especially this guy: 

What a great face. So much caution, circumspection, and tired-of-this-bullbroccoli-ness. 
      More: 

Here are the other two, warriors and men of renown. Gave them a little more color and pattern, as well as the classic line across the face. 

More:

And because Deadlands monsters are literally made for Weird West settings and these fellows are clearly urging caution regarding SOMETHING, here is Some Thing. A Desert Thing, Bones version (91008). It's delightfully horrid. You want no part of this Thing. Painting the horrible slick teeth and gums of the inner jaw was a treat. 
    • By SGHawkins09
      Not sure if this belongs here or under conversions but since I need help/feedback on the sculpting, I figured here was better. 

I am adding puffy sleeves to a figure and I am very much a novice when it comes to sculpting. I have been working on one and while it looks good to me, I need a second opinion. What do you guys think?

• By Rigel
      "Greetings. I hear tell. As some of you in this town. Fancy yourselves Tinkerers."

Robots in hats are always great. And I've done enough shiny new 'bots for a while. So here's a rusty bucket-of-bolts in a battered bowler! Tried to make any remaining paint look battered and chipped.

Also, here is M4R1A, clearly a Metropolis reference. But I got an idea in my head and made her into a clockwork angel with watch-part wings and a double halo of glory. 

Guest appearances by 91002, Hellstromme, 80031, Decker Lugstampf, and 59009, Mad Scientist (Female), who have already gotten their own Weird West posts elsewhere. 
    • By Rigel
      Well, I figured that the market for cactus-folk was small enough that I shouldn't wait on it, so I decided to get to work on a Saguaro Cowboy and a Cactus Dryad. I got the inspiration to get up and get to work when I saw a picture of a crested saguaro:

which really settled the question of "how do I put dryad hair on a cactus lady and make it work?" 
      Twisted up an armature for a dude and a lady, 

and started slapping green stuff on.

Here's a very rough outline of the dryad's torso with a preliminary series of grooves, almost none of which will probably make it to the finished product.

Both she and the lariat-wielding saguaro vaquero will have blunt, stubby feet and arms with little muscle or joint definition, both because that's how saguaros do and because I am...not a professional sculptor by a long chalk. 

C&C welcome; this is the rough draft of the first draft of each of them and I'll be doing a lot of trimming and repositioning, no doubt.
  • Who's Online   22 Members, 5 Anonymous, 77 Guests (See full list)