Sign in to follow this  
CivilDungeoneer

Warm-up exercises before sculpting

The doctor is concerned.  He thinks it is happening in either my shoulder or elbow, or both.  He was able to make it shoot down my whole arm just by flexing the shoulder joint in a certain way.  That points toward the shoulder as the likely culprit. I'm scheduled for an EMG on July12th with a neurologist.  

Thanks for impressing the seriousness of this on me and getting me off my butt.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

The doctor is concerned.  He thinks it is happening in either my shoulder or elbow, or both.  He was able to make is shoot down my whole arm just by flexing the shoulder joint in a certain way.  That points toward the shoulder as the likely culprit. I'm scheduled for an EMG on July12th with a neurologist.  

Liked for the fact that you're moving toward "healthier," not because of the pain.

• Like 4

I am glad that you went to the doctor and got checked out! Hopefully you can get away with just doing some therapy to strengthen your rotator cuff and work out any ergonomics issues you may have. With luck we'll see you sculpting again at Reapercon!

Edited by GHarris
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, GHarris said:

With luck we'll see you sculpting again at Reapercon!

That's guaranteed, even if I have to come to the zBrush-side (I bought a Cintiq 16 today; zBrush will be purchased when it comes next week).

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

That's guaranteed, even if I have to come to the zBrush-side (I bought a Cintiq 16 today; zBrush will be purchased when it comes next week).

WOOT WOOT!!!! Come to the dark side, we have unlimited zoom and instant blending!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

dude, EMGs hurt if you've never had one.  Sorry in advance, but glad you're getting some more info.  Hugs.

Also, yay zbrush!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Corporea said:

dude, EMGs hurt if you've never had one.  Sorry in advance, but glad you're getting some more info.  Hugs.

According to HopkinsMedicine.org:

If the test is painful you must tell your examiner because this can interfere with the results.

:unsure:

I had no idea what it was and I found that when I looked it up. There’s needles. :ph34r: Stabbity needles. 

Best of luck TS. 

11 minutes ago, Corporea said:

Also, yay zbrush!

Ditto

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

The doctor is concerned.  He thinks it is happening in either my shoulder or elbow, or both.  He was able to make it shoot down my whole arm just by flexing the shoulder joint in a certain way.  That points toward the shoulder as the likely culprit. I'm scheduled for an EMG on July12th with a neurologist.  

Um, yeah.  Just recently stopped physical therapy for my shoulder & elbow, which I started before Thanksgiving.  Overuse injuries suck, take forever to heal, and all that.  I'm just grateful that my dislocations and my repetitive strain injuries are in different areas.  

Which brings me back to the title of this thread:  Warm-up exercises.  It might be more beneficial to rephrase the goal as functional exercises.  I often find that after I use my arm I need to stretch it out.  Generally I don't need warm-ups unless I'm already stiff, so if preventing injury is the goal then you'd probably be better off focusing on general posture and ergonomics.  I should also clarify that I'm not really a sculptor at all, just the victim of lots and lots of hours of physical therapy because computer use caused my problems.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

EMGs aren't fun but you will survive. Ever get that jolt through your nerve when you hit your funny bone? Not the tingly numbness, like a zap. It's like a more intense version of that that hits you at random. The needles themselves aren't too bad, reminded me a bit of acupuncture needles. They do sting a bit more as the test goes on because they use the same needles multiple times throughout the test and they start to get dull. The electricity itself was more annoying than painful, and if it really starts to hurt you should say something.

I had to have an MRI done of both of my hands, one at a time. An EMG was not too bad compared to that.

And welcome to the ZBrush dark side! We have cookies! But seriously though I do find that sculpting on ZBrush is much kinder to my middle aged body than sculpting by hand. I can watch my posture much easier (although still not perfect) and I can zoom vs wearing magnifiers on my head while slumping forwards. My hands appreciate it too. I can still sculpt by hand, I sometimes modify figures or the like, but going on sculpting benders for hours on end to get projects done isn't happening.

Emmagine is right about listening to your therapists. I am a licensed PTA and one of the things that happens with patients in therapy is they often become "frequent fliers". Basically they feel better at the end of therapy, then fall into old habits and quit doing their exercises after being discharged.  

Edited by GHarris
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Corporea said:

I've never had them hurt, have had about a dozen, and some of them in some rather interesting places. As long as you don't have issues with needles, you'll be fine. Your muscle will just jump around a little bit as they pulse the current through. If it hurts, they're doing it wrong.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Corporea said:

Also, yay zbrush!

Aren't you doctors supposed to say "This won't hurt a bit" for the placebo effect?  ::P:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Aren't you doctors supposed to say "This won't hurt a bit" for the placebo effect?  ::P:

I thought the phrases were: "You might feel a little pinch" and "There will be some discomfort." I'm pretty sure they're listed in a standard textbook.

Which makes me wonder about the tech writer responsible. ::D:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Nah, I tell my patients the truth, and then if it doesn't hurt they feel all tough and strong.  :lol:

Afterwards they get chocolate.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, Corporea said:

Afterwards they get chocolate.

Did you do your internship at St. Mungo’s in London?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1