Sign in to follow this  
planetmut

Arctic/Antarctic Explorers by EMP Miniatures

After posting my painted Reaper Antarctic Explorer (aka MacReady from The Thing) last year, @zemjw was kind enough to tell me about models of old-school Arctic/Antarctic explorers by EMP Miniatures in the UK. I ordered some last August and have finally painted them up.

explorers1.thumb.jpg.64073177e6464dfe7cbe3c77e64e30be.jpg

I googled images of what Antarctic explorers wore back in the day and found a colorized image of Bertie Bowers, who was part of Scott's 1910-1913 Terra Nova expedition. He made it to the South Pole but died along with the rest of the team on the return journey. More googling brought to light that the winter gear for the entire party (some 65 men in total) was the same green. I didn't fancy doing all of the minis in that green, so mixed it up a bit by using Vallejo Golden Olive for one, Vallejo Black Red for the second and Vallejo Olive Grey for the third. I also took some liberties with the colours for their boots, gloves, trousers and head wear. The ski poles held by the red-jacketed figure are crap as I'm terrible at painting browns for some reason.

explorers2.thumb.jpg.f5b8eb54ae1e4c520277d22df517a590.jpgexplorers3.thumb.jpg.98116f77115065b90fff794f7b98996e.jpgexplorers4.thumb.jpg.2fa61c43d9b9448eeece035056d58a73.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, except the eyes, at which I suck. If anyone has a magic formula for painting eyes decently, please tell me how to do it and who/what I have to sacrifice to the Dark Gods. I've only just noticed that they're on three different types of bases. I'm going to rebase them on one cork snow base at some point. And please ignore the fact that I put them on my girlfriend's half-finished jigsaw of Vermont to photograph them.

As always, critiques, comments and money are appreciated.

• Like 20

Nice work. The first thing that popped in my mind after seeing these was the 1957 movie "Abominable Snowman (of the Himalayas)"

• Like 3

On 6/22/2019 at 8:47 AM, Boris Khan said:

Nice work. The first thing that popped in my mind after seeing these was the 1957 movie "Abominable Snowman (of the Himalayas)"

I think of them as the explorers in "At The Mountains of Madness". Poor sods...

• Like 1

Love that frostbitten skin, and the eyes are better than I'd have done, particularly on the fellow with the goggles.

Tekeli-li!

• Like 1