Rignes

Do Reaper paints come with an agitator?

The title ways it all.  :)

Do Reaper paints come with an agitator in the bottle by default?

Thanks.

I just was noticing even after  a good shake by hand that there was still  some separation.  I was considering buying some agitators and putting them in but didn't want to bother if there already was one.

16 minutes ago, Rignes said:

I just was noticing even after  a good shake by hand that there was still  some separation.  I was considering buying some agitators and putting them in but didn't want to bother if there already was one.

I have paints that are difficult like that.  An extra agitator or two can sometimes help.

I'm not sure why exactly some are difficult, but I deal with it either by not worrying about it because I want that color now or by putting it into a mechanical "shaker."  There are good ones available for good money (vortex mixers) and cheaper ones, or you can make something yourself.  My current one is a drill with an attached pill bottle to hold the paint, and it does a good enough job on Reaper paints.

One caution I'll give you is not to shake your paints really hard to get them moving.  Over time that can mess up your hand or wrist.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Rignes said:

The glass beads in them are certainly better than nothing, but adding something heavier definitely improves ease of mixing a lot. Glass just isn't heavy enough to quickly mix super well.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, cmorse said:

The glass beads in them are certainly better than nothing, but adding something heavier definitely improves ease of mixing a lot. Glass just isn't heavy enough to quickly mix super well.

Yeah, I add agitators to each bottle as I buy it.

I've used hematite beads, which work fairly well (hematite is an iron oxide crystal that won't interact with the paint and the density is fairly high at 5.3g/cc). But I prefer lead shot (11.34g/cc), which is also quite stable, so it won't interact either. I've found that 3/0 shot is just about the right size for a typical 15cc Boston Round like the ones Reaper uses.

• Like 3