Evil statue (bones 4)

mustardgreens

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For a very first osl effect this looks damned good and the overall direction also looks good, because you have painted the surfaces close to the purple fire the brightest and that is correct this way. Great job at the base by the way, looks all damned cool!!! Thumbs up!!!

I love the purple light very much, but yes I actually have got a couple of hints how to paint this osl more effective.

- By shading much more (especially farer away from the light source) you will get a more dramatic osl effect.

- Keep in mind that not only the distance to the light source determines how bright a detail is, but also that a surface which is directly opposite of the light source has to be painted also very bright.

The light comes from below in this case and so all surfaces which are directly opposite or beside the light source has to be brighter than others. This means that you have to make it right opposite to the way you would highlight in the case of zenithal light. Upper parts need to be shaded here and all surfaces which are opposite the ground need to have the brightest highlights and this is also necessary if the detail is farer away.

- The socket she is standing on for example is right next to the flames. Opposite of the flames there need to be a very strong highlight.

Because an image explains best what I mean, I made a photo edit for you. You see there is not soooo much difference, but it the difference is noticeable. I didn`t make the highlgihts much brighter, I just made the shadows darker and changed the highlighting overall more according the actual position of the light source.

You see: You are on a good way already with your first osl, but a couple of improvements would help to make it even more convincing and impressive as it is already.

546020219_PurpleOSLcomparison.jpg.e489d1bec33938483dcb215e18ecb7b6.jpg

• Like 7

@vhaidra I really, really appreciate you taking the time to give detailed feedback. It was hard for me to visualize where to put the shadows, but your photo edit is helping me to understand. I haven't sealed the mini yet so I will go back and try to make changes according to your suggestions.  I'll update this post when I'm done. Fantastic advice!!

@Othikent @Pineapple @Glitterwolf Thanks! ::D:

• Like 4

On 7/4/2019 at 11:03 PM, mustardgreens said:

@vhaidra I really, really appreciate you taking the time to give detailed feedback.

You`re welcome.

On 7/4/2019 at 11:03 PM, mustardgreens said:

It was hard for me to visualize where to put the shadows, but your photo edit is helping me to understand. I haven't sealed the mini yet so I will go back and try to make changes according to your suggestions.  I'll update this post when I'm done. Fantastic advice!!

That`s great! I`m looking forward to your changes. ::D: