• Optionally enter a message with your report.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      From Bones 3: Vegepygmies

The Children of the Forest. Now, where has that three eyed raven gotten to?

At last, vegetables that fight back! Take that you Vile Weeds!

77513 Vegepygmies
      from the Bones 3 Stoneskull expansion
      Reaper Miniatures 2016
      Sculpted by Kevin Williams
      Classic Bones
      20mm bases
    • By Maledrakh
      his one is actually from the Fan Favorites expansion and not from the Lost Valley expansion, but still...Giant Insect? Yeah, that's your Lost Valley right there. So I put it in with the rest.

To see the back bit, click the thingy:

• By Pingo
      These are two copies of the Reaper Bones Large Earth Elemental 77185, sculpted by Kevin Williams.

I saw someone, I can’t recall who, paint up, it might have been one of these, like cooling lava which I thought was lovely, so I wanted to give it a try. I painted the lava version very quickly, in a few sessions: A layer of butter-yellow intensified with yellow glazing, then laying on pure black paint rather thickly, then some washes of Quinacridone Magenta and some fiddling with that and yellow on the gems.

The rock version I painted v-e-r-y slowly, in many layers over time, often with whatever paint was left on my palette from other paintings. I’m not sure when I started it, but since I haven’t painted any minis at all for the last year, it’s been some time.

I thought it interesting how very different a sculpt can look depending on how you paint it.

• By Maledrakh
      This is a model that has been waiting patiently since Bones 3. I have been thinking about how to make it look maggotlike, as it more than anything reminds me of wasp larvae or maggots. You know, these ones:
        I wanted to use a short videoclip here, but the constant wiggling gives me the screaming willies!
      So the other day I tried a quick yellow-grey-bonewhite scheme. It turned out...not quite what I was going for. So I slathered the thing in gloss varnish to give it the shiny "a bit translucent" glass like look. It turned out looking slimy instead. Btw wasp larvae are not slimy or wet to the touch at all. Also, lots of wild animals such as squirrels, possums and birds really like the taste of those juicy wasp larvae, which probably is the main  evolutionary reason that wasps and hornets are so very aggressive, and use the Attack! Attack! Attack! When in doubt, attack again!" strategy to welcome anyone close to a nest.

The white in the photo is a bit washed out and the yellow and grey detail in the folds of the flesh are not showing properly. The gloss is overpowering most of it anyway.
      Live and learn. I am thinking maybe there are no quick-fixes for the effect I would like, and that I might need to go full non metallic metal-extreme white highlight technique to make the glass-like look I am after. Which is really time-consuming. So on the other hand, this took significantly less than a hour or so to paint in between other things. It will do the job.
      The paint job is not only Fast, but also Sloppy. Zoomed-in photos are without mercy.

Reaper calls this model "Carrion Worm". Worm? Worm? It has legs for crying out loud!
      ahem... from the Collinsdictionary.com:
      Definition of 'worm'
      1. COUNTABLE NOUN
      A worm is a small animal with a long thin body, no bones and no legs. (The astute reader will notice how I like a complete hippocrite ignore the "small" in the definition but make a big issue out of the "no legs" bit.)
      ....so, maybe a we shall call it a caterpillar instead? I have named this one Heim-Liche.

Anyway, what sort of carrion exactly does it dine on that lets it grow to such a size? And presumably at some point it will go in to a chrysalis. What might it eventually metamorphose into? Mothra?

77541 Carrion Worm
      Bones 3, Graveyard Expansion, 2015
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Kevin Williams
      Made in Bonesium PVC
      60mm base
      available from reapermini.com

This model was painted on or around the 7th of April.
    • By OneBoot
      *blows a thick layer of dust off of her tiny corner of the WIP section*

*sneezes violently*

Wow, it's been...way too long since I last posted a project here! 

So, this is an idea I've had bouncing around in my head since Argent was announced, and I've finally gotten around to putting it into action. This is just for fun, and unless it turns out unexpectedly amazing, I don't plan to enter him at ReaperCon, which makes him just right for easing me back into regular painting!

My original idea was this: I discovered a paint pen that holds the EPITOME OF SHINY CHROME DELICIOUSNESS (search for Molotow Liquid Chrome Marker if you too want to revel in the glorious shiny) (also a shoutout to @LordDave for introducing me to this loveliness!). I already HAVE a shiny metallic dragon in my Ma'al drakar, and I couldn't have two all-metallic gigantic dragons in one household. It would just lead to bickering and drama about who's the favorite and oh-she-smudged-my-scales oh-no-I-didn't-he-started-it and honestly who even needs that? SO I wanted to experiment with painting Argent up using regular paints, then using the paint pen just on select scales and edges as a highlight.

In my head it looks FREAKING AWESOME.  Buuuut since there's a lot of unknowns about this pen and how well reality will conform to my vision...

First up, I tried my original plan of regular paint with chrome on the edges of stuff. I slopped these paints:

onto part of a spare Bones Battleguard Golem, since these are some of the colors I'm planning to use on Argent (haven't fully settled on my color scheme for him, but that'll come later). I forgot to take pictures of that part, so you'll just have to use your imagination!

Next, I used the chrome pen to try a few things; outlining armor segments, dot highlights, thicker vs. thinner lines, etc. And...none of them actually looked all that good. The chrome is just so very distractingly shiny compared to the matte paint that it just looks...bad.  But that's okay! This is what doing science is all about: trying lots of things and seeing what works! (Also known as "throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks" but I thought that might get kind of messy in this context)

So, next I tried chroming an entire shoulder section and glazing some of the Clear Phthalo Blue over the top.

(sorry for the blurry pictures, I may have been quivering from excitement )
      (also ignore the random bits of gold, those are from a previous unrelated experiment)

This looked...much more promising! Huzzah!

Which brings me both to the next phase of testing, and my next post because this one has gotten long enough!

Huzzah!
      --OneBoot :D
  • Who's Online   16 Members, 1 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)