Sign in to follow this  
Chaoswolf

Solo gaming

I have not yet played a solo game of Rangers of Shadowdeep, but I really enjoy the game with my friends. Solo would be more challenging with only one ranger. That might make the game better for you, but it will also get more frustrating when the dice turn on you.

If sci-fi is more your thing I believe all the chain reaction games from Two Hour Wargames can be played solo.

buckyball

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 11:33 PM, Froggy the Great said:

I have played and highly recommend:

--Sellswords & Spellslingers:  Card-driven events, D20+modifiers, has automated the Killer GM Zerg rush.

--Rangers of Shadow Deep:  Solo Frostgrave without the frost, done exceedingly well.  Tough and heroic.  D20 based.

--Five Leagues from the Borderlands:  Harsh, gritty, The Black Company out on patrol, minimal sorcery.  Lots of charts, lots of options, D100/D20 based charts, D6 based gameplay.  This one is currently my favorite and the author responds quickly to questions on Wargamevault.

Nordic Weasel also does his Five Parsecs range of PDF games - same basic system as Five Leagues, but optimized for small-unit Sci-Fi.  "Bug Hunt" is in particular really intense.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

Nordic Weasel also does his Five Parsecs range of PDF games - same basic system as Five Leagues, but optimized for small-unit Sci-Fi.  "Bug Hunt" is in particular really intense.

Have those rules but haven't done more than glance at them. Bought them in a big bundle with the Five Leagues rules. Liking everything I've got from Nordic Weasel so far even though it hasn't sen much play yet. Starting to feel like digging out my scifi stuff but keep saying  NOOOoo. Not until I finish a few more of my thousand and one fantasy projects. We'll ignore the fact that this month is very heavy into Full Thrust and spaceships for us.

• Haha 3

Five Leagues from the Borderlands 2nd Edition has just been released along with Tools of War, and the supplements are due for conversion to 2e soon.  If you've already bought the 5L stuff, you can contact the author about what sort of upgrade deal he might give you.

• Like 2