Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

Bombshell's Mi-Sher and Eureka Chinese Pirates

A lovely sculpt from Bombshell, Mi-Sher is billed as a Mongolian princess. I had a lot of fun with her dress.

DSCN6598.thumb.JPG.8b139ca455198a120474c3acfca162e0.JPGDSCN6601.thumb.JPG.c75c6c3582dd4a3f3b7e68940e4fd93b.JPGDSCN6600.thumb.JPG.6101f428ce4d14c7034cf3b8d453bc33.JPGDSCN6599.thumb.JPG.db8a9dec22ac58222ce6b9c21162e64f.JPG

This post seems as good as any for a pair of Chinese Pirates I got years ago from Eureka. They both have a pudao or glaive. They were among my first forays into freehand back in the day--the one with the hat has a silver loong dragon on his back, and the hatless one, a crane. 

DSCN6614.thumb.JPG.06d2f1bec4e044aaef99e6ceae9107c6.JPGDSCN6602.thumb.JPG.1a47c5678fb228112078908280fb62a3.JPGDSCN6610.thumb.JPG.6e134df63e330b05b5786fe3e862ea59.JPGDSCN6609.thumb.JPG.7b936d058928cfeeb581bfadbdfa1a8a.JPGDSCN6613.thumb.JPG.d27fe112a779c5aa98661d486d3cb5c9.JPG

DSCN6604.JPG

DSCN6626.JPG

Edited by Rigel
Removed out-of-place pictures
  • Like 21

Mi-sher looks fantastic. I love how you interpreted her robes. I have not seen many painted versions of her.  She is one of my all time favorite sculpts, since she reminds me so much of a MMO character I played for a good ten years.  I have not finished painting either of the two copies I own. 

Your backgrounds for photos are great, as always. So evocative with just a few pieces of terrain. :) 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, all!

On 6/23/2019 at 9:14 AM, Inarah said:

I love how you interpreted her robes. I have not seen many painted versions of her.  She is one of my all time favorite sculpts, since she reminds me so much of a MMO character I played for a good ten years.  I have not finished painting either of the two copies I own. 

Well, now I want to see them! Going to paint one of them as the character, I hope? 

All I did was Google "mongolian traditional dress?" for the color schemes and patterns. If I were to do it again I might swap the blue out for black. 

On 6/23/2019 at 9:14 AM, Inarah said:

Your backgrounds for photos are great, as always. So evocative with just a few pieces of terrain. :) 

7 hours ago, Iridil said:

Beautiful work on her dress! And again, great terrain - love those trees.

I appreciate it! I'd love to take credit for the tree, but luck and laziness were on my side. It was a Michael's ornament (as was the bridge) that came with a little birdhouse attached with twisted wire. I didn't care for the birdhouse, and the green wire made a nice vine that says "not North America or Europe." 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      "If ever you chance to go to the woods
      Be sure that you go by day,
      Or the Spindly Man with his long thin arms
      Will spindle you clean away."

Scarecrows. The purpose is to inspire fear. For crows, the idea is that it looks like a human. 
      For people, the issue is that it doesn't quite. 

Gauntfield is a truly horrific sculpt. For one, scale creep aside, he's very tall. Over eight foot in scale, if I were to judge. For another, his hands are way too big, coming down to knee level. And those hands are clutching a sack full of bones. That's a red flag. Oh, and he's a reanimated skeleton with a jack-o-lantern sack mask. That sadistic grin! the flapping tatters! The sculptor is very like Gauntfield himself, in that they are both...

...outstanding in their field.

"When it comes to SURPRISES in the moonlit night..."

A Bombshell promotion netted me this Autumn the Scarecrone. Less overtly skeletal, but still a construct of cloth and straw given malign, shambling life and carrying a sickle. Tatterdemalion, rag-tag, hobbledehoy. 

The crow on her hat is a nice touch.

Her paint job and color scheme are loosely inspired by Sally from "NIghtmare Before Christmas."

Bonus: Bombshell's Pumpkin Pal!

• By Rigel
      Eureka has a two-pack of figures in their Pax Limpopo line called "Hench and Coach," and they are the most corpulent double-chinned British spherical bastards imaginable; Dickensian caricatures after the style of Nast or Tenniel. I had to have them. Didn't bother affixing the coachwhips. They are about halfling-sized in 32mm scale, and walrus-like giants in 15mm scale. You should be able to hear a bassoon-and-tuba soundtrack when looking at them. 

I'd also painted up some minis from Artizan's "Thrilling Tales" line: Miss Greentree, Private Campbell, and Tankie Bob. Each of them is full of personality. Greentree I painted as an Agent Carter-type. Campbell was where I found tartan is not my forte. Could have come out worse. Bob is a scruffy fanatic and I love the sculpt. I figured Ungentlemanly Warfare was a good setting for the three of them.

More pictures below.

• By Argentee
      Well my sister loves Pandas and was mad I wouldn't give her the one I entered at Reapercon. So I painted a second one up for her birthday in purple, her favorite color. 

• By Rigel
      Realized my collection had some major lacunae in world cultures, and needed more pre-modern Mesoamericans! So I got these Aztec feather suit warriors from Eureka. Tried using mostly GW contrasts on them; can report that the red and blue work AMAZING. 

You can tell the fella in green is in charge, both by the high-status turquoise cloth and by the rad shield. I had fun with these.
      Gender diversity is important, so I also picked up Caroline here from Antediluvian Minis' Lost World line. She is shown with a mini-Couatl from the Familiars 2 set (77196). More pix in the spoilers box.

And if there are macahuitls involved. I'd be irresponsible not to include the very representative of the Winged Serpent on earth! (Turnaround below.)

Now for some invaders! I wanted some conquistadors for Weird West purposes (Zamacona-types as in "The Mound," ghosts of Cibola-quests, etc.)
      Picked up a set from Eureka of the most recognizable and armored. Painted as fancy as possible,
      An unexpected Other from beyond the bounds of the known world, with impossible weapons and unheard-of beasts.

This seems like quite  the problem for our Aztecs! 
      Well, early-modern-era problems require early-modern-era solutions. Nanahuatzin, the Chancred God, isn't the most glamorous in the pantheon, but he *gets the job done.* 

(This is Antediluvian's Pestilent Lich; both he and the Conquistador Zombies are from Antediluvian's Conquest of Maztlan line. What a magnificently rotted and pustule-ridden sculpt.)

Backgrounds and props include GreenStuffWorld rollers in clay and foamboard, Hydra's Saurian Idol, those Nolzur's cannons, and a skull from RAFM. I enjoyed this one a lot. C&C welcome!

• By Rigel
      Look at that title. Are you made of stone? You want to see exactly that thing, and brother, sister or other, THAT IS WHAT WE GOT HERE.

Painted mostly with GW contrast, reaper sample green, and some craft-store metallics. My favorite detail: the comparatively dainty holster for a big ol'  drum-fed gun.

Here's the  big fella with the rest of General Jombi's Guerilla Troops (also from Eureka, posted elsewhere):

And because I already had the camera out, here's All the Apes I Got.
  • Who's Online   43 Members, 3 Anonymous, 153 Guests (See full list)