Sign in to follow this  
Marc

Secret Weapon Swag Bag O Crap

Anyone ever buy a Secret Weapon ‘Swag Bag O Crap’??

It’s $40 but it seems like there’s a ton of bases in it. Just curious if anyone has purchaced one and if it’s as good a deal as it seems 

• Like 3

I know only one person that ever bought the Bag O'Crap - and he has been buying at least one each year (for a total of two... he hasn't been in the hobby all that long), ever since - he is very, very happy with them.

I haven't tried them myself yet - but it is definitely a 'yet', not a 'nope'.

I would likely end up trading off a bunch of the more SF themed bases, I am pretty much just fantasy these days, with only a touch of post-apocalypse, steam punk, and cyberpunk. (Deep back burner on a cyberpunk noir game....)

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

I have. My experience was that maybe 20-30% of the stuff was pretty useless, but the rest has been useful or will become useful some day. The quality is pretty good, usually small voids on the bottom of the bases or pinholes that are easy to fix.

I don't regret the purchase at all, but you get so much that I haven't felt the need to get more yet.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I have. My experience was that maybe 20-30% of the stuff was pretty useless, but the rest has been useful or will become useful some day. The quality is pretty good, usually small voids on the bottom of the bases or pinholes that are easy to fix.

I don't regret the purchase at all, but you get so much that I haven't felt the need to get more yet.

I’ve bought one once too. I agree with what Doug has said.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I completely agree with all of that.

The Bag O Crap will be more useful to people who paint figures from a variety of genres. Mine had goodies for fantasy, scifi, alien, and a couple modern or postmodern things. Even a few of the scifi bases I felt I would never need came in handy recently. I pretty much only paint fantasy, but when I decided to paint an anime style figure and some Infinity minis for fun, there were a few nice bases to choose from. Other things, like a couple objective markers that were in the bag, I still don't have a use for. I'll probably order another one once the bag is closer to empty. 

• Like 6

I really wish Secret Weapon and Micro Arts Studios would sell bases individually, instead of in packs. Or in a "build your own bundle of bases". The Bag o Crap may be a decent thing to have around, but lately I've been finding myself going "ooh... that one out of six would fit perfectly". Meh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I really wish Secret Weapon and Micro Arts Studios would sell bases individually, instead of in packs. Or in a "build your own bundle of bases". The Bag o Crap may be a decent thing to have around, but lately I've been finding myself going "ooh... that one out of six would fit perfectly". Meh.

The bases probably share a mold - it is a lot more economical to sell it one mold's worth at a time, because some will certainly prove to be more popular than others if you sell them individually.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3

I have bought a couple and am getting close to needing another. They are extremely random. You get anything from any of their lines of bases, in all sizes.  One bag had test pieces from their dungeon terrain KS. You'll get tank bits, objective markers, display plinths. Anything they make in resin that didn't turn out perfect.  It will have bubbles, or be slightly warped.  A lot of it is easy to fix with putty or a little heat. 

If you paint/play with a variety of genres and are looking for a deal and not something specific, get one. 

If I can find the photos I took a few years back, I'll post them. 

Here's the first of 3 

Spoiler

48116012166_9f52c0c0d2_o.jpg

Spoiler

48116091597_f0acbc8b37_o.jpg

Spoiler

48115998281_f4c4c37d25_o.jpg

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The bases probably share a mold - it is a lot more economical to sell it one mold's worth at a time, because some will certainly prove to be more popular than others if you sell them individually.

The Auld Grump

Certainly there is reason for it. Nonetheless, it is preventing me from buying any currently.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Certainly there is reason for it. Nonetheless, it is preventing me from buying any currently.

Just not sure there is a fix - other than making a six molds - one for each of the individual bases. (Assuming that there are six bases on each mold - it could be two of each base, for all I know.)

I am actually more temped by base making molds, rather than pre-made molds - Happy Seppuku going away makes me sad. ::(:

The Auld Grump - the rollers at Green Stuff World are also tempting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump - the rollers at Green Stuff World are also tempting.

Do it, they're rather useful to say the least!  Fairly easy to keep clean too. 

As for the bags.... I keep meaning to order one or two, but never do, because I wind up wanting something else.  I'm mainly wanting one for two reasons: a random assortment of this and that (aka get to check things out), and a case of why not. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone!

Interesting to see there are other things than just bases. From the picture and description on thier website, I’d gotten the impression it was only bases ...

So, for those who have purchaced this, can you give a ballpark on how many bases and other items are in a bag? 20? 40? 100?

• Like 2

I have gotten two of them, and I'm very happy that I did; very cool stuff inside. Maybe I've been lucky, but there hasn't been a whole lot of stuff that I couldn't use.

You just need to think outside the box a little bit; some of the sci-fi stuff could still be used for fantasy with a different paint job on it. Not all of it, but some of it.

It's been a while, but I'd guesstimate that my bags had 30-40 bases/items inside. I got a few really big things, so that probably count down the number of bases that i got.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Marc said:

So, for those who have purchaced this, can you give a ballpark on how many bases and other items are in a bag? 20? 40? 100?

I can’t honestly remember. At least 40, maybe more. It was a fair bit.

• Like 3

Well, you can see by the photos how many pieces there were.  30-50 ish in my orders, depending on how big stuff was.  They fill a quart size zip bag, and you get whatever fits.  Could be several large bases and plinths, could be a bunch of 20mm bases. 

• Like 2