Middara: Unintentional Malum - The Complete Trilogy

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm backing it (or at least I will once I've found my credit card), but only for the base game. Just not confident enough to throw a big pile of money at them after the struggles they had the first time around.

I do really like that giant, finger infested head in Part 2 though, so I'll see how things go.

• Like 1

They have been communicative during the first project and I did not have concerns about their delivery despite it being a few years late.

I can provide some pictures of the product from the first project if needed.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

They have been communicative during the first project and I did not have concerns about their delivery despite it being a few years late.

I can provide some pictures of the product from the first project if needed.

That's good to know.

While I'm more interested in the game than the minis (for a change), I wouldn't mind a few close-up shots of the more complicated ones.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, aku-chan said:

That's good to know.

While I'm more interested in the game than the minis (for a change), I wouldn't mind a few close-up shots of the more complicated ones.

Will do when home.

• Like 1

This is doing amazing business. The first project raised $342,936 from 3210 backers, and delivered 3 years late. This one has already passed $2 million raised with over 9k backers with 23 days to go.

It does speak to the awesomeness of the first project, and the extra effort put in by the creators, who faced a ton of problems and grossly underestimated what they were getting into. But they kept plugging away and delivered everything as advertised, even with a lot of outside pressure to cut some corners and reduce the size and cost of their game. And checking out board game geek for reviews shows how well they succeeded. I haven't had a chance to play the game yet, but I'm backing for the next two chapters.

• Like 3

Just a brief review based on one play - 

I played the game for the first time (someone else's copy) and it was fun.  For those that have played Gloomhaven, I would say it is a bit lighter and more random and a lot more story.  Monsters keep their AI on their cards so its easy to plan around them in any given round, but not perfect because of the die rolling.  Success is not guaranteed, particularly if you act stupidly.  I was talked into tanking two low level monsters in the first part of the introductory mission and I was ground to paste.  Thankfully I got "resurrected" at the end of the battle and we continued on.  

There is a LOT of story.  Thankfully they have audio clips of people reading it so you can just play that rather than read the book if you prefer.  Sometimes it leads to interesting things to do, for example I had to make a choice between battles of stealing from some jerk overladen with loot or letting him go.  And it was tough to let him go because the story really emphasized the jerk part.  However at other times I feel that it slows down the whole campaign a bit.  It is heavily anime inspired so it feels a bit like an after school club where you go to run around in dungeons and kill monsters.  And lets learn about everyone at the same time.  

Time wise, we learned the game (we did watch a video before hand and the owner read up on the rules), ran 2 combats, had two short post combat encounters, and listened to a lot of story over the course of about 3 hours.  

So, if you enjoy stories, particularly anime ones, in your D&D/Campaign games, this is a good choice.  Especially if you like rolling dice and have no one to be your DM, and have 4 people.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not much time left on this one.

Really enjoyed how they've been running this campaign, not once have I felt particularly pressured in upping my pledge (although that's probably hindered them in raising as much money as they probably could), although, as I've said elsewhere, I, sadly, appear to be in the minority when it comes to this opinion.

The comments section has repeatedly bemused me though, the sheer number of people I've seen stating that they're skipping the story based updates because it's too much reading for them, don't they realise that's basically what the whole game is like?

• Like 2

We play every week and I look forward to playing each time (we play again tonight).  Being able to listen to some of the story between sessions has helped, though it looks like we will run smack dab into a big bit of story today.  After the first couple of sessions, we were able to rebuild our characters from scratch and that was fun and interesting.  

• Like 1