hewholurksatthethreshold

The Silent Temple

Father Jaden nods to the Paladin..

“I suppose a silent night in contemplation for the task that we are about to do would be good for our spirits. We can afford this one night for we are near our destination. We may stop at the next inn.” And with that the priest smiles gently at the Paladin.

.....was getting on in years and getting wide in the middle herself. PLus, I think we need to get some info on what we should expect, and I think father Jaden can do that. Plus I got some information too. Got it from the friend of a friend who knew this lady who had friend.........

Karl chuckles softly at the verbal fountain that is Jancy. "You've got my vote as well. I'd like one more bath before we hit the desert." Truning to the cleric, "What say you, Jaden?"

The party pulls into a small town of perhaps a few hundred villages and craftsmen. There is no evidence of anything wrong. The villagers go about their business merrily. As you stable your horses and enter the tavern the innkeeper turns to you and asks, "More Sunmen I see, you are here for the sacred service I take it? All of the Sunmen are gathering at the temple in the plains I hear tell. Some great holy ritual comes once every thousand years they say." Father Jaden quiets the barkeep with small talk while the rest of the group gathers around a table.

There are rooms enough for all as all the taverns on these roads had been purchased by the Sun priests well in advance. Another week or two of hard riding through the barren plains is all that awaits you when you leave.

During the evening, while in the common room, Father Jaden and Sir Kriegar are going over the map and outlining the best route to go from here. As the Dwarf comes over and asks again about the demon in the prison Father Jaden looks up from the map he and Sir Kriegar had been poring over. Seeing that he will have no peace until he clears this matter up, he sets the map down and excuses himself from his conversation with the Paladin.

“You wish to know about the time of Chaos do you young one?” He asks the dwarf.

“I will tell you what I know of it. During the great first age the world was still shaping itself. The stars above looked down at the empty void and saw that it was wanting. Nature abhors a vacuum lad, so the stars birthed the Old Ones. The Old Ones were beyond morality, beyond law and order, beyond any concept that you can understand. They were what they were, created to fill a vacuum, and nothing more. I suppose by our standards you could say that the Old Ones were wicked, you could call them demons or devils, aberrations or even chaos, but the truth is that they were none of those things. They simply were what they were. It was these Old Ones that started to create other things, more demons I suppose if that is what you wish to believe they were.” Here the priest sighs heavily and takes a long drink from the mug of clean water in front of him. “Some of their creations however, did not agree with what they themselves believed. One cannot plant a seed and expect to control all the curves in the flower that will grow. And thus their seeds grew, soon growing fat and powerful, rivaling the old ones themselves in the power they attained.” Another long sigh emerges from the priest as if he is talking of something painful to him. “This was long before our time on this world young dwarf, long before Man, or Dwarf or Elf, or even Halfling. Now too many minds competed for power in the void, too many creatures wanting to set the path as their own. The universe itself groaned with the agony of it. There was naught for what the stars could do for they had created this terrible mess that now stretched from one end of existence to the other. Battles were waged, Old Ones against their offspring, against each other, even against the very stars themselves. The stars seeing no other alternative birthed yet another into the universe, One of Law and Order, One of great devotion and true to the course, our Blessed Sun Lord. It was He that sent the Old Ones to their long slumber, it was He that caged the ancient demons and took them from the void. And once the void was clean, once the void had been sanctified, it was He that shed the light into the furthest stretches of reality. He created this world so that we may be protected from those creatures of old that seek to do us harm, and it is for He that we live our lives. Perhaps you heard this story of a demon in a bar or at the bottom of a tankard of ale, but there was no demon that was imprisoned, there was no demon that escaped the searing light of our Lord. For He does not need to resort to tricks, He is the light, and we follow.”

Alistair spends several hours in the common room, juggling and telling tales to the patrons. While doing this he listens and prompts them for any juicy gossip or any snippets of information that would seem relevant.

An especial favorite of the crowd that night was the tale, "The Paladin Stole My Daughter".

"Well, I got to wonder about this demon thing myself, You see, this document I got my friend's friend who know's that lady. Anyway, this lady's friend was a painter, and he did a portrait of this scribe and as a favor he was able to get this." here she shows a sheaf of notes "These are some unfinished note by the scribe. Seems he was commision to do this research, but then the guy wanteing it done decided against it. I don't know why, I wish he would have finished it, really 'blah' reading as it is. Very incomplete. Anyway, as I was saying these notes make a reference to some prophecy that is a thousand years old or so. And it was either about Orcus or Mercia the sea goddess. Now it goes on about how the prophecy was about the returning to the world, there is two possibilites, two possible endings etc, etc. While doing the research the scibe also came up with some info that the temple might be tad bit older than anyone knows. There is a reference to it being around about the same time some king in the Age of heros drove some deomon-men out. But like I said, the notes are incomplete."

LT

"Well, I got to wonder about this demon thing myself, You see, this document I got my friend's friend who know's that lady. Anyway, this lady's friend was a painter, and he did a portrait of this scribe......

Karl's eyes begin to glaze a bit.

....Now it goes on about how the prophecy was about the returning to the world, there is two possibilites, two possible endings etc, etc.

Two endings? What's that?

There is a reference to it being around about the same time some king in the Age of heros drove some deomon-men out. But like I said, the notes are incomplete."

"Uh, Jancy? Could we take a look at those notes?"

Karl's interest is fully piqued now.

Rurik: While Jaden looks over the notes Rurik states that the innkeeper mentioned something about the great holy ritual that comes once every thousand years. Since the temple has gone silent seem to me that it matches up with Jancy’s prophecy that is a thousand years old or so and some demon returning to the world.

Now I don’t know what seeds and growing of flowers have to do with Dwarves, Men, Halflings and Elves and following lights, it all a bit mentally stressful. This I do know, Moradin created dwarves and this dwarf is getting a full tankard and some meat to eat.

Elias

Jaden quietly reads the notes, once finished he starts at the beginning and reads them again, more slowly this time. After about an hour’s time passes, he finally looks up from the sheaf of paper. His smile is that of an old man reassuring a curious child.

“These notes seem to indeed refer to the time of Heroes, and I may remind you that even then the Order of the Sun Lord was there to guide the hand of man. I believe that the King in question is King Loaras. There was a temple that had been attacked by Demons fearing the power of the Sun Lord. The priests at the temple held off the Demons until King Loaras could arrive with an army to destroy the sieging demons. The power of the Sun Lord would not allow the Demons to enter the temple. The priest of the temple, Ularas would later be raised to High Priest for the realm. It came out later that a Priest of Orcus had summoned the sieging demons. The battle was bloody, but in the end they could not surmount the combined power of the handful of priests and the King’s army. As for an older structure, I am sure that the scribe was mistaken, for that temple was built by the hands of the priests brick by brick.”

"Well, you can see here." and Jancy takes the papers and shifts through them quickly "And she points to a section on the paper "This is where he talks about something being there before the temple. Now I am sure this scribe is fairly reliable, after all he is a friend of a friend of a freind." she shuffles the papers again "And here is where is mentions the prophecies and the two possible ending. Typical vague wording, something either really good will come of it or something really nasty. Now me, I am with Rurik on this. I think something is about to happen and I think we are going to be a part of it. Just too many coincedences." She pasues for a moment "You said we are how many days out from the temple still. Two weeks. I need to pick up some more rations, or maybe we can get a pack horse or something and carry some extra supplies. Hey Rurik, see if you can get me another refill while you at it. My tankard empty too. And maybe some more bread, this is very tastey bread they do have. I wonder if I can get the recipe? " And she proceeds to pat herself down looking for a pen and paper to do just that.

LT

Dane walks over to join the others having spent some time working the kinks out of his muscles. "So two weeks there and two more to return, and we should allow enough time to fulfill the task before us, what say you as to how long we feel this will take ?"

Dane then sits down and starts to eat the food, "So did I miss anything ?"

Rurik returns with 2 tankards and hands 1 to Jancy, then asks “do all Halfling enjoy a good ale”? then adds, watch it now, these have a bit more of a kick.

Before sitting Rurik informs everyone that he took the liberty of ordering more ale, water, some meat and bread for everyone.

After drinking half of his tankard Rurik says, “it sounds to me that the attack on the temple was not out of fear but more like and attack to free someone or something”, he turns to look around hoping the meat has arrived.

Elias

"Not all." Jancy winks at Rurik "I aquired my taste for it thanks to a mis-spent youth." As she takes a drink from her tankard. She then reaches over and grabs a hunk of bread and spreads planty of butter and jam on it. "Anyway, what do you guys think about a pack animal for additional food supplies."

"With the amount of food and supplies we need I think it will be essential for carrying enough food and water for the horses alone will be a stuggle. Of course for each pack animal we add we make the situation worse." Dane replies.