Jump to content

hewholurksatthethreshold

The Silent Temple

Recommended Posts

Just for party information...

 

1) you will be traveling through plains (i.e. your animals can forage, eat the grass, for food, though that does mean slower movement for long trips for short trips the animals can get by on quick grazing)

 

2) the point of a pack animal is that it can carry more than it will eat and that it can be slaughtered for food if necessary. The problem with a pack animal is that they are slow, and you want to get there fast.

 

3) you know there are 'Sunmen' encamped in a large radius around the temple (i.e. miles around) making sure nobody else can get close. This means there will be resupply points along the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rurik: Jaden, do you know the date that this great holy ritual is supposed to take place?

Figuring today’s date leaves us about how much time do you think?

 

Now this ale must be doing wonders, because it just occurred to me, that if the Sunmen are going to the temple and I’m sure they want to be there a couple of days before the ritual start so that they can get all of there prayers in, (takes a couple more gulps of ale) they must know the best road to take or hidden path. Perhaps if you spoke to one of them they share some info with you.

 

Hey Jancy, play nice and pass some of the bread and butter… Now since were the only ones that know there something going on at the temple and only you clerics of the Sun Lord are allowed to enter the temple how do you figure they be letting us just stroll in?

 

Elias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jancy passes the bread and butter to Rurik. "Well, since the Sunmen are there to keep people out because of the probelm I am assuming that his holiness gave us a letter to get us through, eh Jaden? So that may not be a problem, the problem will be getting back. Since none of the others have been heard of since they went in, it is safe to assume they are dead, or worse. Now, "she spears a peice of meat as she talking and then shakes it at the rest of the group "if this prophecy is true, and the demon-men are true, I think we can safely assume the temple is in un-friendly hands." She then puts the fork in her mouth and begins to chew the meat. After a few momwnts. "So we should go prepared for the worse and hope for the best. Either way, it looks like it will be a fine adventure to me."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dane start to eat some of the bread with large slabs of cheese. Between mouthfuls "I agree Jancy this does seem a fine quest and just hope we fare better than those who went before us."

 

"So Jaden what information can you give us on the temple and it's surroundings ?" Asks Dane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Father Jaden sighs softly at all the questions and looks first at Rurik. Lowering his voice and making sure that there is no one else around to hear he says;

 

“There is no great holy ritual. The Temple we go to is one of the most holy of locations for my order. Many make pilgrimages there every year. We spread the rumors of a great ritual to dissuade people from traveling there until the matter at hand is resolved. Who knows how far widespread these rumors have become, or who” he says looking at Jancy “may have picked up on them and made more of them then should have been. As for the Temples surrounds, it is a place of beauty and tranquility, dedicated to both the Sun Lord Argat, and his wife Merica. The gardens surrounding the Temple are lush and tranquil. The Temple itself speaks of the glory of the Order and houses some of our most holy of artifacts. The great Lord himself blesses it. The fountains dedicated to Merica were crafted by the greatest of Dwarven craftsmen and have been made even more beautiful by the magic imbued in them by the Gods themselves. You will not find a more lovely place on this earth.” Father Jaden finishes the last statement with his eyes starting to water over a bit. One last long sigh and he continues, “If you will all pardon me, I am not as young as I used to be and I still have my duties to my Lord to attend to before I sleep.” Smiling at each of them he lays his hand on each of their foreheads before leaving the table. “May the great Lord protect you and guide your hand to the greater good.” And with that he retires for the evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Good night to you Jaden." then Dane turns to the others "So we still need to decide do we ride with best speed or with greater supplies ? I feel speed is maybe the more important option, but I know little about this temple and what is possibly happening there."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"speed may be best." says Jancy as she watches the priest walk off. "But I tell you what. There is more going on than we know. I don't think they even told him" and she hooks her finger at the priest, "everything. People tend to forget, that it is easy to change written words and make things read the way they want them too. So, who is to say what the current church leaders knows is true? Somewhere down the line someone could have changed a passage because they didn't like how it read, or took it out entirely. It is also possib;e a passage was damaged by time, water or something and who ever came along to re-write it had to dot hier best to figure out what it said, and thus changed the meaning. See it all the time in old readings and such. Anyway, back to traveling. If we don't take a pack animal, then we need rations that are light and easy to pack in the saddlebags. because hunting may be a luxery we can't afford. We may want faster mount, beit small horses or ponies for me a Rurik. Though I am light and don't add too much weight, Ruril here does, and that will slow and tire whose ever horse he is riding behind on."

 

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the Priest walks off, Rurik leans over to the PC on his left, then on his right and whispers that this would be an ideal location for any servants of evil to setup a watch point. I suggest we look about for anyone suspicious or overly intent on our conversation.

 

Afterwards he mentions that since the previous group never returned perhaps whatever we’re dealing with was prepared for them.

 

The innkeeper for example, his first words were to see if we were headed to the temple. Also it’s likely that the previous group rested here as well before proceeding.

 

Elias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Ahh, Jancy! You have too much faith in our priestly employers. Methinks they do not forget, they only tell what they wish to be known. It wouldn't seem very Godlike if some demon threw him out of his own temple now, would it?"

 

"Rurik, I agree with the possibility of a watch point being here, but if it is so, then these yokels are more clever than I thought. I spoke with them at length, and found no sign of a brain between them!"

 

"And now I bid you all a fair evening and blissful sleep. I retire to my rest."

 

*With a twirl and a flourish, making a fair bow to Jancy, Alistair proceeds to his room*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rurik: While enjoying a good portion of food Rurik agrees that getting to the temple as quickly as possible is the right course of action. “I must guess that since Jaden has been to the temple before and was only concerned that we get there quickly and by the best possible route that he has taken our provisions into account. I’m sure he’ll cover any of the small details during breakfast.”

 

“'Dane perhaps in the morning you could explain to me why is it that you bring no weapons with you? During combat things can get mighty ugly”.

 

with that, Rurik get up and bids everyone a good night.

 

Elias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Karl Krieger (the Paladin who happens to be an NPC for now) suggests that there is no reason to doubt Father Jaden.

"My friends," Karl slaps his hand on the dwarf's back, "do not be so distrustful of these gentle folk. They are merely as curious as anyone else would be were a rare ritual taking place." Then in a low tone. "My friends, we must make all haste for the temple. There is no time to lose in pressing this matter. The temple must be restored from whatever evil has befallen it. This is the task for which the Sun Lord has called upon all of us and so it shall be done." His voice picks up again. "Have faith my friends. The Sun Lord will see the good be done." With that he picks up and heads off to his room.

 

Note: Unless anyone has anything more of interest to say to each other or wants to do anything specific I will progress the game forward tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Well, I guess we will be having an early morning of it. So I think I will turn in too. We will just have to deal with whatever the new day brings when it gets here." And Jancy smiles at the others and heads off to her own rooms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dane seeing that everyone else has headed for their rooms finishes the last of his meal then also retires for the night. On reaching his room he tests the bed, but as he expected it is far to soft for him to be comfortable on. Grabbing his bed roll he spreads it out on the floor and goes to sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once morning comes Dane awakes and quickly packs up the few belongings he had removed from his pack. He then exercises for twenty minutes making sure his body is ready for day ahead.A quick wash and then he heads down into the tavern proper. Finding a table large enough for all his companions he goes about ordering breakfast. Having been on the road he has a fair idea as to what everyone likes to eat.

 

When Rurik appears Dane waits for him to get settled then turns to him. "Rurik I can understand question, for compared to the rest of you I carry few weapons, the only conventional one being this nunchaku they are a fairly unusual weapon but it works in much the same way as a flail does. That said though my order looks upon the greatest weapon to be our bodies. I have spent many years training and honing my body to make it an instrument capable of harming all those who seek to bring pain and suffering into the world. Indeed with the Ki energy that runs through my limbs as I strike a target my blows are the same as those struck by a magical weapon."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×