hewholurksatthethreshold

The Silent Temple

Father Jaden does not even turn around to see what the commotion is about. He is completely transfixed by the main doors of the Temple. He starts tracing some of the things he sees with his finger, taking special care to not touch the doors. As the combat proceeds behind him Father Jaden calls out for the Paladin to join him at the doors, oblivious of the combat.

A second head is struck off the rim of the fountain. Rurik grins at his accuracy as his catches his warhammer then is befuddled by the apparently lack of any action of effect upon the pulsating mass of flesh in the center.

Karl, realizing the creature has ceased its attacks rushes to Father Jaden's side assuming something terrible is happening. As he reaches the top of the stair he stop and gaps. "By the great and mighty Sun Lord!" Karl exclaims. "What has happened here?"

Jancy unsure of what to do, and getting no reaction from the others continues to hesitate in the middle of the staircase. For whatever reason even her halfling nature is not inspired to investigate Karl's reaction to what he sees above.

Alistair trying to do to many things at once spins about looking every which way and sees no obvious ambush.

Dane runs back to the group ready for action. There is no obvious combat anymore however, all he can see is Rurik slowing his charge towards the fountain and two crushed severed heads lying about.

Lex, left alone, continues to discuss his boots. Before long he realizes he is talking to himself and turns to join the group.

Seeing that the flesh creature deosn't continue to attack once a foe has left the area Jancy calls down to Ruril and the others "Come on! Our priestly friend must have found something from the way he called out." And with that she turn and trots up the stairs, dismissing the flesh thing from her mind as she wonders what Jaden has found. I wonder if it is as yucky as that flesh thing in the pond?

LT

Seeing Dane rush off to engage the fountain, Lex turns and umlimbers his bow and nocks an arrow, ready to shoot the tenticle when it reappears. However, after a few seconds, when it doesn't appear and he sees the others walking away from the fountain, he returns to his track finding.

Rurik: seeing that the creature has ceased its attacks and Karl heading to the stairs Rurik latches the warhammer to the back of his belt.

Gathering up his backpack and making sure all his gear is in place Rurik grabs Thaw in his right hand and Ice Pick in his left he jogs over to the others. Passing the fountain he looks at the creature and thinks to himself “What could have created or brought such a veil creature to life! If I look upon the foul creature much longer I might not be able to stop myself from jumping atop of the foul thing and hacking it to bits withThaw and Ice Pick.”

Once at the bottom of the stairs (standing sideways as not to have his back to the fountain) Rurik addresses Jaden.

“Jaden, I can understand your eagerness to enter the temple but your recklessness and blind devotion to enter the temple has put our lives in danger. I know I agreed to help the high priest of your order Elagabulus, but I did not agree to throw my life away for YOU!

“I warned you of something afoul with the fountain (turns to look at the abomination in the fountain then back) and you ignored my warning. You may have a great wisdom Jaden but that doesn’t mean you know all.

Rurik pauses for just a moment… “unless there is something more you've chosen not to burden us with.”

Mindful of the fountain, Rurik waits for a response from Jaden.

Elias

Father Jaden who is still transfixed by the markings he sees on the door finally comes out of his reverie and looks at Rurik. The anger seems to have passed and has been replaced with another emotion, one the party can not quite figure out. As he listens to Rurik rant on a bit Father Jaden lets the dwarf sputter out before begining.

“I’m sorry did you say recklessness and blind devotion? I walked by the fountain untouched, as did Jancy. Karl was only attacked when he approached it.” The older man looks over at the fountain and a line creases his forehead. “I asked you to take care of the fountain, how you did that was up to you, I am not a warrior, you are. If your solution to taking care of the fountain was blindly charging it I do not see how you lay that at my feet. If you thought it was a danger then why did you not formulate a better plan?” Before the Dwarf can answer Father Jaden continues. “You asked me to lead this group so I will to the best of my abilities. My abilities are not in martial areas but rather in faith, something which you have chosen to ignore for the most part already, not to say insult since I do not know why you chose to spend the night feeding yourselves rather then come to mass if even for an hour. If you believe you are throwing your life away I would suggest you leave now since that type of attitude will surely get yourself and possibly others here killed. If you believe I will hold your hand during this whole expedition then Master Dwarf I suggest to you otherwise. I am NOT your General, I am not a War leader. The next time you approach a dangerous situation I suggest you use your brains. Does anyone else have something to say before we pass through these doors?”

Dane ignorant of the discussion taking place at the top of the stairs walks around the entire circumference of the temple looking for tracks and also any other routes into the temple.

Does anyone else have something to say before we pass through these doors?”

"Ya," says Jancy "I do. Let's check 'em out for any nasty magical surprises first, and then see if Lex can determine if there are any more mundane traps we might want to avoid." As she continues to look at the door with a mixture of distaste and fascination. "A rather ugly piece of work that" she mutters. "I wonder...That demon with the goat head....looks famliar somehow." Then shaking her head to clear it a bit. "Ah well, I wonder if those heads belong to the poor sots that came here before or the priest that were here? Well, I supoose I should check for m,agic since I mentioned it, but first a little spell for myelf." Then reaching into one of her pouches she pulls out piece of leather, says her incntation and a a soft blue light surrounds her for a momant before dissapearing. That done she then does another incantation and then stares intently at the doors.

(Mage armor for herself then detect magic)

Lex follows Dane, but proceeds slower, his eyes aimed downwards looking for tracks of any kind, aside from those he can identify as Dane's. Several times he kneels down to examine things closer, but each time he moves on and continues his search.

"You know Dane, if it wasn't for the near palpable sense of dread from the temple, this would be a nice place to be."

"Hmmm I am not so sure about that, I would prefer a landscape not quite so plain, I miss the mountains where my temple is located." Replies Dane.

Father Jaden who is still transfixed by the markings he sees on the door finally comes out of his reverie and looks at Rurik. The anger seems to have passed and has been replaced with another emotion, one the party can not quite figure out. As he listens to Rurik rant on a bit Father Jaden lets the dwarf sputter out before begining.

“I’m sorry did you say recklessness and blind devotion? I walked by the fountain untouched, as did Jancy. Karl was only attacked when he approached it.” The older man looks over at the fountain and a line creases his forehead. “I asked you to take care of the fountain, how you did that was up to you, I am not a warrior, you are. If your solution to taking care of the fountain was blindly charging it I do not see how you lay that at my feet. If you thought it was a danger then why did you not formulate a better plan?” Before the Dwarf can answer Father Jaden continues. “You asked me to lead this group so I will to the best of my abilities. My abilities are not in martial areas but rather in faith, something which you have chosen to ignore for the most part already, not to say insult since I do not know why you chose to spend the night feeding yourselves rather then come to mass if even for an hour. If you believe you are throwing your life away I would suggest you leave now since that type of attitude will surely get yourself and possibly others here killed. If you believe I will hold your hand during this whole expedition then Master Dwarf I suggest to you otherwise. I am NOT your General, I am not a War leader. The next time you approach a dangerous situation I suggest you use your brains. Does anyone else have something to say before we pass through these doors?”

Rurik: “I see….. well how about……Then the…….”

As the priest words settle onto Rurik he starts to realize that they are all here to help and do what each is best at. As his feeling subside a look of renewed strength can be seen on his face.

I understand Jaden. I am with you. In truth no one was ever in any real danger, I believe this place, as it is affects ones mind. Does anyone have an Idea to what that thing is?

(Thinking he hoped to extinguish its existence)

Elias

Dane and Lex continue to look for tracks...of course neither having the tracking feat or any survival or wilderness lore skill...they are absolutely confident that there are no tracks anywhere.

Jancy's detect magic spell seems to indicate the entire building is magical...but at least there does not seem to be any extra magic coming from the doors as opposed to anywhere else. She calls back for Lex to come and detect for traps. The party waits for a bit as Lex finishes up his routine of tracking...

Lex returns shouting "No sign of orc tracks or any tracks for that matter Father."

Dane mumbles a confirmation of Lex's opinion although he admits he is not skilled in tracking.

Karl who has actually traveled with rangers and scouts before says, "Your tracking pattern seems a little confused. Are you sure that you have done that before?"