Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hewholurksatthethreshold

The Silent Temple

Recommended Posts

Disclaimer: This thread is a horror rpg adventure and contains descriptions of graphic violence that may be disturbing to young viewers.

 

Legal Statement:

This game is being played using 3.5 edition of D&D, including the Paleyr's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual. All are copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

 

The module and gaming world being used is designed and created Grant Geisler (me) copyright 2003.

 

 

Background: (clarification)

 

The great temple, Argat, the oldest temple of the Sun lord has gone silent some four months now. The disappearances forced the order of the Sun Lord to quarantine the area. The last party sent inside to investigate has yet to emerge. Now the order has summoned some of its greater heroes to discover what is wrong and put it right.

You have all heard of the great temple Argat, dedicated to the giver of life and light, the Sun Lord. Built in the barren windswept plains of Zoth, the temple is a fabulous construction of warmth and wonder. The great golden pyramid can be seen for miles. It has drawn pilgrims from the farther reaches of the land. Yet none stay for long. None other than the priests of the Sun Lord are allowed to live withing a hundred miles of the temple. Perhaps it is the healing waters of the goddess Merica, the wife of the Sun Lord, which are said to flow there in great marble fonts, that draw the piligrims. Perhaps people seek to gaze upon the some of the most sacred relics of their Sun God housed within the temple's great golden walls. Whatever the reason, the temple has been a beckon of light throughout the ages. That is why it is some important for this problem to be solved and as quickly and quietly as possible. Already rumors are beginning to spread.

 

Game Start:

 

The assembled heroes now ready to depart stride into the main hall of the Sun Temple in the heart of the city of Asgolath. Your mission is well known to you and you stand confident in your abilities. But you cannot help but feel the ominous silence in the grand temple that you know so well and once knew as a bustling beehive of activity. As you make your way to bid your final goodbyes to the venerable high priest, Elagabulus, you seen worry and doubt is written on his face.

A middle aged priest calls out for you to advance each in turn and present yourselves,

 

(please only describe what you look like and how you hold yourselves not your life stories as nobody else knows them)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaving his backpack on the floor an eager Dwarf steps forth. I am Rurik from the north, My axes are at your service.

 

Rurik stands about 4ft tall, has black hair and eyes.

Rurik is wearing chainmail armor, which looks recently polished. He looks well prepared for battle.

 

Strapped to his right leg is short sword in a scabbard, on the back of his belt hangs a warhammer, secured to his back there is a drawven waraxe, the other drawven waraxe is clenched in his gauntlet raised above his head as he offers his service. Lowering his waraxe he bows his head and steps back. With all of those weapons makes one wonder what need would there be for the small metal shield strapped to his backpack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Karl Krieger!" He steps forward two paces. Karl is dressed out in full plate armor that gleams in the reflected light. A surcoat of sky blue is embroidered with the golden sunburst of the Sun Lord's paladins on front and back. His heavy shield bears the same sunburst. A holy symbol of Argat hangs from his neck.

 

At his waist, buckled for a right-handed draw, is a gilded longsword. A flail is secured to the back of his belt.

 

Karl glances down, then quickly looks back down, then left, then right, before looking behind him and spotting his backpack two paces behind where he left it. With a wry grin, Karl steps back and slides his pack up to where he was standing.

 

With his helm tucked into the crook of his arm, Karl's human features and expression seem out of place with his exterior coverings. His face, bronzed from the sun, is open and unassuming; eyebrows are slightly raised, the corners of his mouth turned up in a half-smile. Hair that was once brown isnow sun-bleached. He looks to be in his late twenties, and not too tall. While surely he must be a strong man, bearing his arms and armor as he does, he is not the sort of physical specimen one would notice in a crowd. No, he is noticed for his ready smile and steady gaze more than anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I am Dane, ready to aid you as best I can." Says the medium height bald human, his skin is dark from, you would guess, many days on the open road and his face youthful. He is dressed in simple clothes and armed with a Nunchaku. The equipment he carries appears simple, well used and light weight.

 

Even though he is standing still he appears to be in motion and ready for action, always balanced on the sides of his feet and knees bent to provide the best centre of gravity.

Edited by SOldcorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Jancy, your Holiness. It's an honor to be of assistance" Says a female halfling with stawberry blonde hair and blue eyes. She wears robes of blue, with a halfling sized staff in one hand and a sling tuckeed into her belt. Various pouches hang on her belt proclaiming her a wizard of all things! Her small back pack sets back with the others in the group and a weasel lays curled up next to it.

 

LT

Edited by Lady Tam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A whip thin young man strides insolently forward. His ruffled shirt and bright blue cloak draw your attention, but not before noticing the sturdy leather armor that lurks beneath it. Small dark eyes peer out from beneath the wavy ringlets of brown hair, marking each of you in turn.

 

"Greetings, most noble and puissant companions! Alistair Morningwood, if it please you to name me so. Teller of tales, jongleur extrordinaire, recorder of noble deeds!"

 

*looks at Elagabulus*

 

"Well, Gaby, what say we get this show on the road?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last man to step forward is a tall man easily into his middle years. Though the man has his head and face cleanly shaven, the wrinkles on his face betray his age. A smile touches his lips and his eyes light up with a welcoming glow. He is wearing gleaming full plate armor, clean and polished, emblazoned with the symbol of the Sun Lord on its breastplate. He wears a white cloak, the trim is hemmed in gold and the symbol of the Sun Lord also decorates it. The cloak is unstained and seems at if it has never been touched by dirt. At his waist hangs a heavy mace; the weapon is as splendid as the rest of his items, pristine and clean. At his neck hangs a large Holy Symbol made of platinum and emblazoned with the symbol of the Sun Lord inlaid in gold. The very image of the man fills you with a sense of peace and righteousness. He smiles gently at the knight before speaking.

 

“It is good to see you again Sir Krieger, it has been far too long since we have traveled together my friend.” Clasping his forearm he exchanges a quick blessing with him. “For those of you who do not know me I am Father Jaden Sabas. I am coming along with you on this mission of utmost importance to lend the weight of the church behind your actions. I have been to the Temple before so it was thought best that I be your guide. Know that the mission we embark on is not one of anger or fame, but one of truth and virtue, for we travel in the footsteps of the Sun Lord and we will not falter. We will succeed and return the Temple to its former glory, for that is the will of our Lord.”

 

Falling silent he weighs each of the assembled party with his eyes and smiles even greater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The high priest holds out his pinky ring to Jaden. Immediately Jaden falls to one knee and most humbly kisses the ring and then backs away. Elagabulus clears his throat with a sickly rasp.

“I am afraid there has been little time to prepare you, my children. But time is of the essence. This matter must be solved quickly.” The high priest pauses to brush away the sweat on his brow. “There is little left for us to say. We know of no reason why such a terrible event could befall the most holy temple of the mighty Sun Lord. Were it possible to be any other way, we would not hesitate to guide you further. Our greatest seers did could not predict this event, nor is the Sun God himself able to divine what has happened. You must keep this mission as secret as possible. The effects on the people’s faith could be monumental.” The priest pauses to look at the stained glass window its image set at the end of the first age representing the rebirth of the Sun God from the ashes of Chaos. His face then falls to the floor. “Go now my children, for there is nothing more for us to say.”

With that the middle-aged priest ushers the heroes out of the temple and on to their journey. “Ride hard and ride well.” The priest says. The party mounts their horses and sets off out of the city’s Church Gate and into the darkness of night.

 

(the party is free to seek out any last errands before heading to the temple...while in the service of the high priest you have carte blanche to pick up any normal gear you want...speak now or hold your peace...you have but one hour)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rurik asks If you would grant me a moment I would ask what does thee know of the days of choas, a battle that involved the gods and demons, and the 1 demon that was tricked into a green prison without any keys or guards except for the demon itself.

 

Elias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
“It is good to see you again Sir Krieger, it has been far too long since we have traveled together my friend.” Clasping his forearm he exchanges a quick blessing with him.

 

"Aye! It is good to see you again!" Karl returns the fervent forearm clasp. "Lord willing, we will uncover what has happened. The Sun Lord has told us that 'I am the light of the world....and through my light, all truth will be made known.'" Quoting scripture brightens Karl's face after the serious words of the priest that laid this charge on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Priest turns to Ruric..."I am afraid there is no time to talk about scripture now my son. Your journey will be a long one and I am sure all your questions can be answered by Father Jaden."

 

With that he bid the party goodbye and closes the temple doors.

 

(No more questions can be asked of the priest in this city)

 

Anxious to be on your way the party rides through the night and the next day. As the heroes make their way through the land passing farmsteads, they cannot help but feel happy for the peasants who go about their daily lives blissfully ignorant of the events unfolding around them.

Many peasants turn to stare as the men in their bright shining armor ride by. You wonder what they peasants must be thinking of your group, what adventures you must be on or what evil has brought out such powerful warriors. A number of children muffle their laughter as a riding horse blows by with a dwarf lashed to its saddle.

“Ach! This is not what I bleeden signed on for!” Ruric cries out as his horse rushes past.

Then a few seconds later as a haggard pony trots by the human children cannot contain themselves any longer and roll on the ground laughing their merry hearts out.

Frustrated by the delays brought on by such a slow animal both Jaden and Karl offer ride with the Halfling on their horses. But the tiny wizard is adamant about riding her faithful pony. As the day passes, however, it becomes clear that she must give up her pony or forfeit the quest. It is a close decision and when the party reaches the next town to replace their horses Jancy finally agrees to let her exhausted steed remain behind and rest.

As the days pass Jaden and Karl seem to have little time for the others, spending most of their free time plotting more efficient routes for speed and re-supply and talking over matters of faith, while Dane spends his time in subtle contemplation. Alistair and Jancy seem out of place with their merriment and wit and Rurik thinks he could get to like the Halfling folk given he has never seen one before.

(this will be your last chance to stop in any towns and villages if you want to do anything special otherwise I shall just assume you top up your standard supplies as needed)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rurik: I suggest we take advantage of this last stop. We've been on the road for days, a good restfully night at an inn could do us all some good. There are plans need discussion and prepared over ale. We could also gathering a bit on info on current events or on recent activities, rumors and such.

 

Father Jaden the high priest Elagabulus said yiu would inform me of the sciptures of the days of choas, specially a battle that involved the gods and demons, and the 1 demon that was tricked into a green prison without any keys or guards except for the demon itself.

 

I vote a night or at least an evening at the inn. What say it the group.

 

Elias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I agree. I don't know how you people sit astride the wide backs of those horses all day! I am sore in places I didn't know existed! Maybe we should've gotten me a better pony, a younger one. After all old Mokey was getting on in years and getting wide in the middle herself. PLus, I think we need to get some info on what we should expect, and I think father Jaden can do that. Plus I got some information too. Got it from the friend of a friend who knew this lady who had friend with a document that had some information about the temple. It's not all complete, I not sure why. Somehting about the guy not wanting it done..anyway you get the idea. I think we need to compare notes on what we all know. Plus, I can use a good meal and some ale."

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alistair: "A quiet evening at an inn would not be amiss. But I tell you now, they better have more than a rocking chair! I plan on sitting somewhere that doesn't move. And I believe someone mentioned ale?"

 

*begins humming the tune, "There's a dwarf in the well".*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...