Sign in to follow this  
hewholurksatthethreshold

The Silent Temple

"To answer your question Father, what I bring beyond an additional sword in time of battle, is best described in one word - scout." Replies Lex. He's not phased by the questioning in the slightest, and the lilt in his voice is almost boastful. "I am good with my hands and my eyes, and I use both of those traits to find and disarm traps, open doors and otherwise find ways around obstacles instead of through them." Seeing that he's not convinced anyone, he cocks his head to one side for a moment before continuing to speak. "Also, I am one of the Sun Lord's faithful servants and wish to help in any way possible."

After addressing Father Jaden, Lex turns to Dane and offers his hand in greeting. "Pleased to meet you Dane, but please, call me Lex. And I am of little doubt we shall prevail, since to do otherwise would be blasphemous to the Sun Lord."

Notes for the party: I suggest you all elect someone to be a party leader (not the npc) so that they can post actions the group takes...you still have the right to not follow the party if you want to post your own actions and feel free to pm actions to me.

Post your votes for leader in the gathering section please.

“Excellent then, young Alexios will join us, we may have need of your skills before this is done. As for the rest, we shall rest here for this evening, enjoy your time here this may be the last chance before we find ourselves inside the Temple. I will hold mass tonight for those interested, we should be prepared in spirit for our entry into such a holy place. I am sure that Commander Drisus will make sure we are restocked in our supplies. We will head out at first light. Commander I leave you the task of sending back for trackers to find these Orcs, for we do not have time to deal with such a minor irritant. Now if there is nothing else, I will retire to my tent to prepare for the mass, I trust I will see you and your men there Commander.” And with that Father Jaden stands up and pulls his cloak around him as he makes his way out of the tent led by one of the guards.

Rurik: Wait, I'll come along as well, A piece of pork would do me well right about now.

What say you join us as well Lex, so we may all get acquainted.

Elias

As the majority of the group decides to ignore holy rituals to prepare them for the coming trial and ventures to the mess tent they find that despite the distance from civilization the food available is surprisingly fresh and lavish. Alistair, Jancy and Rurik amuse each other with tall tales and drink while Dane watches them from one corner of the tent. Sometimes stoic guards come to eat a silent meal then leave. Nothing even Alistair can sing draws any notice. Lex shows up after the mass and is slightly perturbed by frivolous nature of the ale swilling heroes about to journey on such a perilous quest. Neither Karl nor Jaden appear in the mess tent during the night.

Eventually the group breaks up to put to bed. Dane, Jancy, Rurik and Alistair awaken the next morning in cold sweats unable to remember the horrors they are certain they dreamed the night before. The only thing that lingers is a chilling sensation of claustrophobic suffocation. It takes the affected heroes nearly an hour to pull themselves together and begin to ready their gear. When the whole party gathers together in the center of the camp to depart Jaden’s frustration at the delay is clear.

“Did you not sleep well?” Karl asks with a smirk. “Has the magnitude of our quest finally donned upon your brows?”

None of the dreamers are able to speak. Instead the ride towards the temple is a silent one. The direction you travel is towards the black storm clouds you have witnessed only the day before.

It is not long before everyone can see the top of the great pyramid peaking out over the horizon and it is clear where the storm clouds reside, directly over the pyramid itself, engulfing the structure in grey darkness. As you approach closer and closer your horses begin to whine with fear, slowing their pace despite your urging. Finally when the group is within a mile of the pyramid the horses refuse to continue forward and you are forced to leave them behind. A freezing wind picks up as you set off on foot. It bites to the bone.

Finally, the outer temple comes into view. An overwhelming sense of despair and hopelessness wash over you. Though you cannot make out details already you can see that something is terribly wrong. The temple is black and red, not golden as you were told. The fountain in front of the temple seems to be pulsating with life. At first you assume it is your mind playing tricks on you. But your approach only confirms the vile corruption which is displayed before you.

Before the mighty steps leading up to the main doors is a great fountain filled with putrid black water. In the center of the basin a twisted mass of flesh convulses with life. Circling the outer ring of the basin are a dozen severed human heads, and they are groaning in agony.

The stairs lead to a great raised and hooded platform eight feet about the ground. Stone columns are decorated with scenes of a hellish nightmare and pictograms.

The awful scene is more than any of you can take. Your vomit reflexes take control and for the next ten minutes everyone is retching on the roadway. Luckily nothing is there to take advantage and soon enough you all recover your wits and wills.

(right now you are all standing about 100 feet from the fountain which is in front of a staircase leading up to a platform upon which leads to the main entry doors.)

Rurik: Wait, I'll come along as well, A piece of pork would do me well right about now.

What say you join us as well Lex, so we may all get acquainted.

Elias

Rurik: After everyone has settled down and are enjoying there meal Rurik says

" I suggest we discuss some strategies and fighting techniques if we are to fight efficiently as a group. It would benefit us all if we knew what each of us is capable of and what to expect from each other.

Waiting till everyone has finish their food, Rurik begins to inform his companions on his fighting technique.

“ I prefer to fight with a weapon in each hand.” Picking up his 2 Dwarven Waraxes he continues “ I’ve trained long and hard with these, this one I call my Ice Pick and the other is called Thaw both serve me well. One of my favorite tactics whenever possible is to sunder an opponents weapon then cleave through them”.

Rurik takes a moment so everyone may see the gleaming blades; it isn’t till now while Rurik is holding the war axes that you notice the bluish hue around the Ice Pick and a reddish hue around Thaw.

Unlatching the Dwarven Warhammer from behind his back Rurik continues, “ This magnificent weapon is called Moradins Arm. ..Moradins Arm has never failed to return to me after I’ve hurled it at my enemy.” … Though plain a moment ago ancient symbols and writing can now be clearly seen.

After housing his weapons Rurik looks about at his companions, then a look of recollection crosses his face.

“Aye, last but not least my short sword named Steel and my Dagger named Bite are my backup weapons and both have been enchanted.”

After sitting back down to drink his ale Rurik awaits to see which of his companions will be next.

Elias

"Your weapons are truly wonderous." Responds Lex from the other side of the table. He is sipping a mug of water and observing his new companions, the better to take their measure. "As for my own style, I originally trained as a warrior for my village before finding the Sun Lord and my knack for stealth. I have turned this to my advantage, and prefer to combine with mighty fighters such as yourself Rurik in order to flank my opponents and catch them unawares." Lex pauses while he takes a sip of water, then continues. "I have dubbed my own blade as well, and she is called Ever Friend, for she has yet to let me down when I needed her." A smile grows on Lex's face. "Trust me, it sounds better in Elven, but in the cold and damp darkness of a dungeon, she's often been my only friend." Lex's smile fades for a few seconds as his eyes glaze over somewhat, but soon he refocuses on the group and smiles again. "I am also a fair shot with a bow, but find Ever Friend a more effective weapon most of the time." Another pause for another sip of water. "Should my enemies survive my sneak attack, I tend to favour dispatching them quickly as I am not as suited to a prolonged battle as others who wear heavier armour. My mother's kind refused to allow me mithral armour - something about not sullying such a noble creation on a half human - but to be honest, I am not sure it would suit my personal style anyway."

Lex then turns to the others, waiting for them to continue.

In the morning, Lex rises and prepares his equipment. He joined Karl and Father Jaden with his equipment neatly packed in his backpack, his dagger still on his hip and his sword on his back. He has a buckler strapped to his arm, and appears to be as ready as he is able.

At the temple, once he's regained control of his body, he'll look around trying to spot hidden traps or likely ambush sites. He'll avoid any lingering looks in the direction of the fountain or columns if he can.

"Myself I prefer to fight without weapons, or rather using my hands and feat. Many years of training have allowed me to hone my body to a point when every part of it can be used to strike at the enemy. Like Lex I don't wear armour as I find that is slows me down too much. During a fight much like Lex I will try to get round the enemy so that we ca assault them from all sides." Replies Dane.

In the morning Dane finds it hard to meditate as his mind seems to be in an anxious state, eventually though he finds his inner calm.

On seeing the temple Dane is unable to stop his urge to vomit, but soon enough the need passes. Washing his mouth out with water he then approaches Jaden. "So do we have a plan or will we just see what fate has in store for us ?"

" Give me my spells and I am happy. But in a pinch I have both sling and my dagger Pinprick to fall back on. Bah, why is military food always so plain to eat? Eating a wooden slate would be more flavorful." Jancy pushes the plate away from her, and takes a long drink of water. "well, I am off to bed, though I think I will offer up some prayers to my gods, hope thier Sun Lord won't be too affronted." she adds with a wik and a smile.

Morning:

Having finally reached the temple Jancy gives it an appraising eye. "Me thinks there might be a bit more to those old prophecies." She begins to double check her pouches and equipment, making sure everything is where it should be. "Well, let's get this show on the road. How do we get in?" She says looking over at Jaden.

LT

The anger in Father Jaden begins to seethe and grows larger and larger with each step closer to the sacred Temple. The despair and hopelessness wash over him and battle there with the anger and loathing that is building towards those that would defile such a holy place. The black and red of the temple is reflected in his eyes that pulsate with the most life the group has seen. His smile is twisted into a tight lipped, jaw clenched mask of anger. The thunderheads over the pyramid match those in the wrinkles on his face. The words coming from both Dane and Jancy are small buzzing heard in the background. Striding forward from the group he yells out to the Temple.

“SHOW YOURSELVES YOU COWARDS!! COME FORTH AND CHALLENGE THE TRUE RIGHTOUSNESS OF THE SUN LORD!”

The whole area seems to groan in answer to the priest. The Temple and Pyramid seem to overshadow the little human standing before them. The thunderheads pulsate, mocking the little man. There is no answer.

Father Jaden turns back to the group. “Karl, Rurik, Alistair remove those heads from those pikes, they insult this Holy Place simply by existing. Dane, Alexios look around for any tracks, perhaps those Orcs and their foul magics had something to do with this. Jancy, come with me, we will see if those main doors have any enchantments on them.”

"A pleasure Father Jaden." Responds Lex in less than a heartbeat. He quickly shucks his pack and then kneels down to get some of his belongings out of it. Then, he pulls a buckler from his pack and straps it onto his arm with smooth, quick, practiced movements. He then unlimbers his bow from his kit and walks over to Dane. "Come Dane, let's go find if those foul orks have descecrated the Sun Lord's most high temple."

Edit: there's n horses any more

Edited by Leech

Dane looks around try to find any tracks, however he knows this is an area in which his skills are pretty weak. Still he tries to do the best he can.

Rurik: Looking confused at Jadens request, then seeing the contorted look of ANGER on his face. Rurik says

Jaden perhaps you should take a moment to gather yourself and refocus your senses. Your anger has blinded you to what is actually there. There are no heads on spikes, they are in the basin circling the outer rim of the fountain, can you not hear the groaning they are making. There is an enchantment there, perhaps magical trapped as well for any that go near it.

Elias