Varnish over the top. I think that Reaper's brush-on sealer reacts with at least the wood ink though, but I'm not positive. I had something with a little wood ink in it get yellowed by applying that sealer on top - and it became almost malleable. Haven't had that issue with Game Color matte varnish yet.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Valthorn_Illian said:

Mix it in or over the top.

As @Cyradis already said, over it once it completely cured (give it at least one day). 

No problem for me till now. No frosting, no sticking, no reaction at all but make it really, really matt. 

• Like 2

Same, only I used Testor's Dullcote (though I'd love to get my hands on the AKI Ultra Matte, it is difficult to find in the states); a quick spray after painting knocks down the shine easily.

I think Army Painter and MIG also make an anti-shine, but I can't vouch for them as I haven't used them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Capwn said:

Same, only I used Testor's Dullcote (though I'd love to get my hands on the AKI Ultra Matte, it is difficult to find in the states); a quick spray after painting knocks down the shine easily.

I think Army Painter and MIG also make an anti-shine, but I can't vouch for them as I haven't used them.

Looks like Michigan Toy Store is going to start carrying it.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Cicciopiu said:

As @Cyradis already said, over it once it completely cured (give it at least one day). 

No problem for me till now. No frosting, no sticking, no reaction at all but make it really, really matt. 

The layers that had the ink on them had been dry for many days before I used the sealer over them. It was really weird.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valthorn_Illian said:

What about the Reaper Anti-shine?

Anti-shine is an additive for paints and mediums to make them more matte.  I've mixed it with glossy MSP paint, and I think I've mixed it with Liquitex matte medium.  I haven't tried mixing it with brush-on varnishes or with inks, though.  Used straight, it dries to a fine white powder that you can rub off.

Actually, now that I think about it, the shine might be useful for my purposes. I'm painting the cylinder on the Herbalist (just released this month) as if it were made of wood and in this case a bit of shine might be warranted because a lacquer seal would be appropriate in the context for said wood.

• Like 2

I usually keep a mixture of anti-shine in a large dropper bottle to add to inks. The mixture is made up of matte medium, water, and a bit of flow improver.  I just mix in a little at a time until the shine is largely gone. 

• Like 1

I have those inks and use them quite often.

You could tone the shine down as has been mentioned above.

I use Reaper Brush on Sealer when I want it to keep a little shine and I use Army Painter Anti Shine to tone it down.

I use the inks a lot for woodwork, the brighter colours I use just for that shine.

Inks can be very nice to create different effects.

• Like 2