Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

Artizan Apache Characters 2 and Desert Thing (91008)

The West, both Wild and Weird, was a diverse place! Apache tribes featured prominently in history and in fiction, but not on my shelves...until now!
Artizan has some good Wild West figures, and a 3-pack of Apache characters suited my purposes perfectly. 

Especially this guy: DSCN6734.thumb.JPG.658a00838c163e5e9e72ca122d28f261.JPG
DSCN6735.thumb.JPG.51fa7ef2b9bd264af829d1ed0020eff6.JPG
What a great face. So much caution, circumspection, and tired-of-this-bullbroccoli-ness. 
More: 

Spoiler

DSCN6737.thumb.JPG.a03a57945d0c21244ed7dda3aac5789d.JPGDSCN6736.thumb.JPG.d5980ef37d8729e6b107cdacd7348c31.JPG

Here are the other two, warriors and men of renown. Gave them a little more color and pattern, as well as the classic line across the face. 
DSCN6733.thumb.JPG.7c0eaa76339811a8595408470df65d47.JPGDSCN6725.thumb.JPG.20521f55e6c2d76f6d9699496db56df3.JPG
More:

Spoiler

DSCN6732.thumb.JPG.be93b779ee1fd34026a7a573b50f8066.JPGDSCN6730.thumb.JPG.dcce9997889bc7882acd6592bec5e617.JPG

(I fixed the hair and feathers on the kneeling one after taking the picture.)

And because Deadlands monsters are literally made for Weird West settings and these fellows are clearly urging caution regarding SOMETHING, here is Some Thing. A Desert Thing, Bones version (91008). It's delightfully horrid. You want no part of this Thing. Painting the horrible slick teeth and gums of the inner jaw was a treat. DSCN6741.thumb.JPG.aad9e8d5ebdfe392e78a35f308e589b7.JPGDSCN6743.thumb.JPG.f0c1f4af79b3370f1b4c4636b5c31409.JPG

• Like 16

Nice freehand on them!  And though I've had several close encounters with local desert critters, none of them looked like this Thing!

• Thanks 1

Really like the colors on the dessert thing -  the blue on the tentacles is a nice touch, makes it extra creepy!

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      Didn't order this fella; there was a minor mixup in my order (which was corrected, I must say, with incredible speed--thank you, North Star/Artizan customer service!). BUT--I'll not complain about more pulp-era characters to paint! The Desert Fox is pretty useful for a variety of campaigns of varying pulp levels.
      Tried to make the colors match his official portrait. Here he is in a North African setting, with a toy car that is historically inaccurate but a good color match. A tank would have been better, but as we all know, a field-marshal goes to war with the army he has, not the army he wants.

Other angles below.

I call this one "Erwin Has A Bad Day." Special guest appearances by WWWOz Lion, Zenith, and Frank Buck. 

• By Rigel
      "Greetings. I hear tell. As some of you in this town. Fancy yourselves Tinkerers."

Robots in hats are always great. And I've done enough shiny new 'bots for a while. So here's a rusty bucket-of-bolts in a battered bowler! Tried to make any remaining paint look battered and chipped.

Also, here is M4R1A, clearly a Metropolis reference. But I got an idea in my head and made her into a clockwork angel with watch-part wings and a double halo of glory. 

Guest appearances by 91002, Hellstromme, 80031, Decker Lugstampf, and 59009, Mad Scientist (Female), who have already gotten their own Weird West posts elsewhere. 
    • By Rigel
      "Way I hear tell, ain't no percentage in gettin' the Cactus Folk riled up. They don't shoot easy and wrasslin' 'em won't end well for ya."

Sculpted a gumby-esque Saguaro Vaquero and a zaftig Cactus Dryad for Weird West purposes. (Though if I ever run a game set in New Crobuzon, they'd work there too.)
      Legs are stubby and bell-bottomed, skin rugose, arms long and segment-jointed. The cowpoke's rope is twisted wire.

The Dryad's hair was intended to be Crested Saguaro, but heck, Opuntia works too. The pistol hand came from my bits box, I forget what sprue originally. Probably Chronoscope of some kind.

I don't know *exactly* where she falls on the SFW line (is a plant really nude if it's not flowering? Curves, but nothing explicit as I understand it) so I'll compromise on Spoilers for now and delete images if need be. 

• By Rigel
      More nautically-inclined figures! 
      This beautifully-sculpted old salt is from Artizan's Thrilling Tales: Curse of Fairhaven. (He also comes in a 3-pack of Eccentrics, if you also want a swami and a top-hatted vagrant with a meathook.) I give you: Mad Jack the Lighthouse Keeper! 

The next two are from Black Cat's Fishermen. Old Elias, forever with pipe in hand, and Dockside Dan, a handy man with a chain who will not take anyone disrespecting the sweater his old ma knitted for him.

And lastly, the cabin boy, Mikey. He was part of a cheap, poorly pre-painted  ArtMinds Diorama Family Set that I got on impulse (because 4/5ths of them are EXACTLY the Rick and Morty family, and Reaper has a Mad Scientist that is exactly Rick). This is the fifth guy; I didn't repaint him, but those eyes are perfect for a young man from Innsmouth before the Change takes place. 
    • By Rigel
      Truly delightful sculpts by Bombshell that work well for a Weird West of gun-toting saloon gals and persnickety varmints. 

The sculpt listed as "Warfare Wombat" is clearly procyonid and in no way meant to represent a marsupial. Thus does copyright law make fools of us all (well, all except copyright lawyers, I suppose). While he might have been intended for a spacefuture setting, that uniform with the two rows of buttons looked like it could be retconned for a strange American Civil War. So I slapped together a half-assed kepi from greenstuff and painted him in Union blue. I didn't want to obscure the markings on his forehead, so the kepi is being blasted cartoonishly back by recoil. 

"Rocket's red glare," indeed. 

Eloise Covington is much more refined, all flounces and furbelows, bustle, ribbons, and lace. Still, she is one determined lady, and a mean shot! 
      The pink-on-pink color scheme is admittedly rather tacky, but tacky in a recognizably Victorian way. 

Eyes didn't come out too badly on her either. 

• Who's Online   21 Members, 2 Anonymous, 62 Guests (See full list)