Xiwo Xerase

Catalyst Game Labs: BattleTech Clan Invasion box set

17 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

You aren't missing out on anything in my opinion.  Plenty of better messenger and VoIP services out there, as Microsoft took something good and made it rather useless. 

Yeah, Skype is provided on the work laptop, and it functions, mostly, so that's what we've been using.

Eventually we may try something better (something that supported multiple cameras would be nice).

3 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I'm afraid not.

Like you, I have played remote RPGs via Internet video link, but not board games or war games.

It might work, but I would be afraid that it would be difficult to track the whole board, unless you kept a duplicate setup on your side, like a play by post kind of thing.

With the standees and the maps it wouldn't be too hard to do the whole duplicate setup.  We tend to use an overhead camera for D&D (on the GMs side anyway, mine just shows them my dice tray, so they too can witness my awesome ability to roll 2 ones on 2 d20...:angry:).

That's why I'd like a two camera set up. One overhead view of the whole field and then a close up camera that can be moved around to wherever you are focusing one.

• Like 4

I have not played bt via skype, but in the distant distant past there was mega mek which was a program for playing battle tech over the internet (about 19 years ago...)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

On another topic (as I'm looking at my pledge) what is the normal structure for Comstar ? And why are the packs called Level II ?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/ComStar_military_structure#Level_II basically a level 2 unit is their rough equivalent of a lance or star

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I have not played bt via skype, but in the distant distant past there was mega mek which was a program for playing battle tech over the internet (about 19 years ago...)

MegaMek is still around and getting updates.

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

Anybody else already daydreaming/planning what you will wind up with once the KS gets here?

I have 180-ish company/binary sized units planned out for painting (all 400 PV or just under).  This is admittedly insane but they were fun to build.  I don't know how effective some of these units are but that's not the point.  (The goal was to use at least one of every current BattleMech miniature available from IWM plus use my existing cache of minis plus include 'Mechs that IWM hasn't released a mini for but hopefully will in the future.)

I expect I'll use some of the minis from the KS to fill holes in those units.  Beyond that, I expect to use them as the core of new units to build and paint.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Thanks.  The fact that Level II was a unit size like a star or lance wasn't obvious to me...

comstar, they give everything goofy names :P

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Wow, things got busy here the last few days!  Just got caught up.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with any of them, honestly.  I haven't looked at clan/faction colour schemes or anything.  I'm (slowly) painting my Griffin to more or less match the box art from the beginner's box. Is that a particular faction colour scheme (other that Optimus Prime's....)

I need to spend an evening with a spreadsheet and figure out my pledge....more or less.  Since I'm sure I'll add more in the pledge manager.

Maybe I should start with a couple of colour schemes that I like, since I have no clan or faction that I particularly like, since I'm new to the universe....

I don't know if everyone noticed, but they added the pdf of the AGoAC rulebook to the digital assets dropbox there a couple of days ago.

You mentioned you weren't quite sure what unit to use. This scheme is perfect for the Kell Hounds. There are also several other House and Merc units using a similar scheme. Fed Com 1st Argyle Lancers, Robinson Rangers, 1st Royal Cavaliers, Lyran's Skye Guards, Tamar Jagers, Tikonov Republic Guards, Mercs, Beaufort's Cossacks, Black Omen, Dropship Irregulars, Wolf's Dragoons [!], WoB 52nd Shadow. However I would bet it is supposed to be Kell Hounds or Wolf's Dragoons due to the fame of those units.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Corsair said:

You mentioned you weren't quite sure what unit to use. This scheme is perfect for the Kell Hounds. There are also several other House and Merc units using a similar scheme. Fed Com 1st Argyle Lancers, Robinson Rangers, 1st Royal Cavaliers, Lyran's Skye Guards, Tamar Jagers, Tikonov Republic Guards, Mercs, Beaufort's Cossacks, Black Omen, Dropship Irregulars, Wolf's Dragoons [!], WoB 52nd Shadow. However I would bet it is supposed to be Kell Hounds or Wolf's Dragoons due to the fame of those units.

Nice.  If it works out well I'll probably do some more in that scheme then...

Did some quick math for my pledge and adjusted my amount (up of course) a bit.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

comstar, they give everything goofy names :P

Goofier than lance/star?

Comstar is actually pretty consistent with it's level 1-5 system, even if they do insist on using pretentious and inconsistent Roman numerals combined with Greek letters.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

Goofier than lance/star?

Comstar is actually pretty consistent with it's level 1-5 system, even if they do insist on using pretentious and inconsistent Roman numerals combined with Greek letters.

I've been watching the 80s TV show off youtube with breakfast some mornings.  Yesterday I glanced up from my eggs and though, "Why is there a wizard on my Big Stompy Robot show?"  Then I realized it was a Comstar member.....:blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

Goofier than lance/star?

yeah. given that inner sphere mechwarriors are supposed to be doing knightly nonsense, a lance is a perfectly reasonable term for a small group of them.

star, meh it matches the clans, in that it balances on the edge of good, and exceedingly silly. I mean these are the same guys who went from a normal military to normal pregnancy is abhorant, and "hey guys I'm having visions from a magic talking cat!" in the space of 1 generation. Clans are goofy, but they make a good villain in their goofiness. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As for the cameras thing, would something like OBS or other streaming solution allow for camera switches at least? 

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Clans are goofy, but they make a good villain in their goofiness. 

Freebirth surat! How dare you call Trueborn warriors goofy! We respect the visions of the Novacats, the Necrosia quests of the Seekers of Goliath Scorpion, the dreams of Jade Falconers,the tantrums of the Ice Hellions,  the Lore of Clan Fire Mandrill...

Well,...

You may have a point...

Edited by Corsair
  • Haha 5