Jump to content
Xiwo Xerase

Catalyst Game Labs: BattleTech Clan Invasion box set

Recommended Posts

I was playing around with pledge options. For the most part, the things I want as add-ons are the maps, with a few dice thrown in.

 

That has me sticking at "Star Captain", I think, but at this stage, I decided to just round my pledge out to $300, and wait to sort it out in the pledge manager. If one of the Battle mats were to suddenly transmogrify into another star of omnimechs, so be it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

In theory, multi-pledge support wouldn't be too hard to add.  However, I'm not sure I'll have the time today.  (Note that "not too hard" doesn't mean "oh, that'll just take fifteen minutes."  It will almost certainly take several hours.)

 

I suspected a day or two of here and there work (at minimum) when you said "in theory, probably wouldn't be too hard".  I suspect the math in calculating which is most efficient would complicate things a fair bit though.

 

~~~

For now, I'm going to go in as a Star Colonel, and then look into addons as I go...  Glad to see others increasing their pledges, and also that we've hit 2.3 million...  I was doubtful about 2.5 mil (I was even doubtful about 2 million!) but...  Well, there's still a chance.  Wouldn't hurt to get a few more mechs thrown in the box... ^_^;;;

 

One thing I've been curious about though is if there's any proper value with going for larger maps, say putting two of the maps side by side...  There a benefit to building a 44x36" table, other than putting more mechs out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I suspect the math in calculating which is most efficient would complicate things a fair bit though.

Actually, that's already done.  The hard part is extracting that logic so it can be run multiple times.

 

As far as my pledge goes, I think I'll stay at STAR COLONEL for now.  (Maybe x2 STAR COLONEL.  We'll see.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Actually, that's already done.  The hard part is extracting that logic so it can be run multiple times.

 

As far as my pledge goes, I think I'll stay at STAR COLONEL for now.  (Maybe x2 STAR COLONEL.  We'll see.)

Ahhh.  I always did wonder how programming sheets would be, but I never bothered dabbling much into it.  Probably because of how easily I'm distracted ^_^;;;

 

I really REALLY want to do two Star Colonels...  It's just logistics, and figuring out how I'd realistically get THAT much cash in two months, since we have to pay for websites in between.  I'd also then have to figure out how I'd be breaking up the 8 additional packs of mechs...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Sorry if this has been asked but what is a Salvage box?  not seeing a description in the kickstarter...

Salvage boxes are a blind box containing one clan mech, that is pulled from the first 4-6 star addons Clan Invasion pack, and the first 2-4 Clan Star Packs.  The problem is most of the info is contained in images, which makes searching for info a lot harder, especially since a lot of the pledge info is something like 20 pages of scrolling on a 1440p monitor.

 

They describe it as "One random OmniMech in a small "blind purchase" box.  Just as much chance of pulling a Dire Wolf as there is a Mist Lynx."

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm going to bump up to Star Colonel. The deal is pretty darn good. And thinking about neoprene maps too. We'll see. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

 

I suspected a day or two of here and there work (at minimum) when you said "in theory, probably wouldn't be too hard".  I suspect the math in calculating which is most efficient would complicate things a fair bit though.

 

~~~

For now, I'm going to go in as a Star Colonel, and then look into addons as I go...  Glad to see others increasing their pledges, and also that we've hit 2.3 million...  I was doubtful about 2.5 mil (I was even doubtful about 2 million!) but...  Well, there's still a chance.  Wouldn't hurt to get a few more mechs thrown in the box... ^_^;;;

 

One thing I've been curious about though is if there's any proper value with going for larger maps, say putting two of the maps side by side...  There a benefit to building a 44x36" table, other than putting more mechs out?

 

In general, smaller maps favor bigger, tougher 'mechs, and also lead to faster, more decisive games.

Again, in general, bigger maps give smaller, faster units more room to maneuver, but also tend to lead to more drawn out games of positioning and speed.

 

 

I will not prescribe what is best. There is a time and a place for both. You will have to decide what works best for you by playing the game. Of course, more maps also means more varied terrain options.

 

Covering a 4'x8' area with hex maps, and playing with 12-20 combined armed units on each side sounds like a great way to spend a day to me, but it isn't for everyone.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

 

In general, smaller maps favor bigger, tougher 'mechs, and also lead to faster, more decisive games.

Again, in general, bigger maps give smaller, faster units more room to maneuver, but also tend to lead to more drawn out games of positioning and speed.

 

 

I will not prescribe what is best. There is a time and a place for both. You will have to decide what works best for you by playing the game. Of course, more maps also means more varied terrain options.

 

Covering a 4'x8' area with hex maps, and playing with 12-20 combined armed units on each side sounds like a great way to spend a day to me, but it isn't for everyone.

 

From memory, I do recall things getting ugly for light mechs in short order when playing with friends... And a number of us would quickly gravitate towards the bigger ones, since we were playing on the 4th edition paper maps. 

 

I'd love to do a 4x6' field, but I doubt I'd have the table and living room space to pull such off. 

 

A 3x4' or even 4x4' would probably be a decent compromise, and it's a table size I'm already working on incorporating into our living room.  Wonder if I could shoehorn in a 4x5', I should measure such... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours to go. Am I correct in assuming I could upgrade to a higher pledge level in the pledge manager later? Really want to go Star Colonel but I am broke as broke can be at the moment. Would prefer to wait a bit if I can. Other than a handful of lance packs I'm not sure what I want but am looking for lots of mechs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy carp. The funding ticker is spinning like crazy with over an hour to go!

 

$2.525m at this moment.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, 2.5 million. Bumped up my pledge a little bit so I can decide if I want to add the $30 Basic set later or the 25 Heroes pack and another set of dice, or...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zink said:

2 hours to go. Am I correct in assuming I could upgrade to a higher pledge level in the pledge manager later? Really want to go Star Colonel but I am broke as broke can be at the moment. Would prefer to wait a bit if I can. Other than a handful of lance packs I'm not sure what I want but am looking for lots of mechs.

Yes, you can upgrade to a higher pledge in pledge manager.  You can also multi-pledge, if you want to do crazy things like get 2x Star Colonel. 

 

There was also a comment that they will re-open the pledge manager between wave 1 and wave 2, but they didn't answer my question if everything would be available when it reopens. 

 

Edit: they also rather liked the idea of 28mm scale mechs for collectors... 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we closed out at $2.58 million.  Wow.

 

Now it's up to CGL.

 

I hope the drive of the KS can be converted into some sort of momentum for the game and its community.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well now, that's... Going to get difficult, I suspect...  In some ways...  Read more on the lore and backstory on a few clans, and I'm liking Sea Fox / Diamond Shark a ~LOT~ more than Coyote.  Still liking Hell's Horses a good amount.

 

EDIT: Got a reply to a written question about the second opening of the pledge manager...  At this time, it is uncertain whether you'd be able to add a full on pledge such as a Star Colonel the second round.  Something something supplies, something something might have some neat shiny things added in that wasn't originally in the plan.

 

Edit 2: Hubby mentioned he likes the look of Wolf In Exile Beta Galaxy, and I fell in love with Jade Falcon Vau Galaxy's paint scheme...   Which is good, because I might wind up not getting the extra elementals right away and use the cash to acquire more mats instead.   Inner Sphere will still be Crescent Hawk and Kell Hounds for me though ^_^

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/unchartedrealms/uncharted-realms-of-the-abyss
       
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/unchartedrealms/uncharted-realms-of-the-abyss?ref=bth1nl&token=c30b4ec2&fbclid=IwAR0LO8qco1H0nXlfbWOscidIaGMXT3OdAE6zsXXSASPU372dnvhX3vm6J-0
       
      About

       

       
       
    • By Suden
      Archon Studio (LOAD, Vanguard of War, Chronicle X) are branching into modular terrain. The project is now Live:
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1915792245/1614419087?ref=6j5c5t&token=15b18208
       
      Apparently it is "full plastic injection" so not the same as their minis. The concept seems interesting, but the preview page is far from finished, so it's hard to get a good grasp on prices (one "Starter Pledge" for $49 is all they currently have listed, along with a $20 add on). The whole magnetized modular wall system looks like it could have potential.
       

       
       
    • By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/swordstoneminis/the-goblins-28mm-fantasy-miniatures?ref=discovery_category_newest
       
      About
      Digital render of the finished sculpts. In the last six or so years I have played a lot of tabletop games, ranging from Warhammer and Dungeons & Dragons to smaller games like Frostgrave and Relicblade. I have fallen in love with the hobby of painting miniatures and everything surrounding it. A year ago I made plans to give something back and to add something to this hobby community I love so dearly.
      My background in digital game art helped me a lot since I was already familiar with the software to sculpt digitally. So I started working on a few miniatures I would like to produce. Most of them were abandoned in favor of better ideas, but eventually I created this set of three goblins. These goblins are each embodiments of the archetypes found in many of the games I love: the wizard, the fighter and the thief/ranger. 
      I spent the last year figuring out how to cast resin to the standards I saw in the products I enjoy and how to make sure digitally sculpted details translated well to the tabletop scale.
      These three figures are the end result of that progress, but hopefully the start of a lot more.
      I made this Kickstarter to cover the costs of the materials used and shipping, but mostly so I can bring these little goblins to your tabletop :)
      All miniatures will be multiple parts cast in resin and supplied unpainted, with a 25mm gaming base.
      The final resin casts.
    • By ced1106
      The KS is starting off with bases, and SG's unlock the terrain:
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1787010870/the-temple-of-chaos-quickstarter-resin-bases-and-terrain
       

    • By Scylla Models
      KICKSTARTER: Tales from the Catacombs
       

       
      They drag their feet one in front the other, deliberately, slowly. They  crawl out of their resting grounds. Out of the tombs to the fresh air,  slowly, unrestained. 
      Scylla Models is back presenting you a new range of Villains and Undead monsters for your collection. The models we present you are master casts  white metal (primed white for better result in the pictures), with the only exception of Zuula. She on her Night Terror is our first large monster and we decided to go resin. The results are quite impressive as you might see in the picture. If you want to know more about  us visit our website. 
       
      KICKSTARTER: Tales from the Catacombs
       
  • Who's Online   39 Members, 2 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...