Catalyst Game Labs: BattleTech Clan Invasion box set

Xiwo Xerase

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/6/2019 at 11:25 AM, Doug Sundseth said:

Hexes have the advantage of being unambiguous. The same cannot always be said of measured distances, even if both players are playing with the best will in the world. If one or both start to get seriously competitive, a bit of ambiguity can become tense.

Eliminating ambiguity is my favorite part of hexed play. Miniatures terrain looks great, and allows more variety, but I feel that Battletech (as distinguished from Alpha Strike) benefits from the clarity of a grid.

• Like 5

The other advantage to maps is that you actually can have 4x the playing area as opposed to using mini rules. Just use a little sticky tack under the maps to keep them aligned with each other.

And last week I picked up a good idea from an old friend while playing. I have used a 8mm die behind mechs for years to show their target modifier, but my friend used a second, different color die to show what his movement modifier was. Then he would remove the shooting die after his firing so he knows who has fired that round.

Waiting for another pack of 8mms to show up now.

• Like 3

Modifier dice are standard procedure in my group. In larger games it also helps to show who has moved and who hasn't.

The official suggestion is to use different colored dice to show if a mech walked, ran, or jumped, but I don't bother. As long as the numbers add up, a +3 is a +3, and I don't care one whit if my target walked, jumped, or electric slid to gain that modifier.

(I do recommend you include the modifier for any trees on the die, since it can be hard to see what's printed on the map underneath a full hex base.)

• Like 4

On 9/7/2019 at 8:34 PM, Weird-O said:

Modifier dice are standard procedure in my group. In larger games it also helps to show who has moved and who hasn't.

The official suggestion is to use different colored dice to show if a mech walked, ran, or jumped, but I don't bother. As long as the numbers add up, a +3 is a +3, and I don't care one whit if my target walked, jumped, or electric slid to gain that modifier.

(I do recommend you include the modifier for any trees on the die, since it can be hard to see what's printed on the map underneath a full hex base.)

we do the same.

Well now, that's a nice touch.  I asked if we would be able to get the Tundra mat in the pledge manager. 

Short answer: Yes. 

Long answer: it's subject to the same bundle terms as at cons, so you need to buy the other four mats to get it.  But still, whoo, I was planning on buying all four, and fell in love with the Tundra mat once I saw pics of it, so I'm happy to see that we will be able to get our paws on it! 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I asked if we could exchange the t shirt pack for a neoprene map, I hope that will be allowed.

I suspect a few would like to be able to do that. 

I also suspect I'm going to be seriously trying for two Star Colonel for a full circle of equals, even though before I was all "meh, don't care" originally. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Well now, that's a nice touch.  I asked if we would be able to get the Tundra mat in the pledge manager. 

Short answer: Yes. 

Long answer: it's subject to the same bundle terms as at cons, so you need to buy the other four mats to get it.  But still, whoo, I was planning on buying all four, and fell in love with the Tundra mat once I saw pics of it, so I'm happy to see that we will be able to get our paws on it! 

That's disappointing.  I bought the other four maps from the CGL store when they first came available.  I suppose I could just get another set anyway.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

That's disappointing.  I bought the other four maps from the CGL store when they first came available.  I suppose I could just get another set anyway.

Good news then....  They're vague on wording, but...

If it works the way we hope... you commit to five maps. any five. five of the same one for that matter. and when you do, you can make one of those the Tundra. (no, you can't select 5 Tundra...nice try!)

^That's a reply I got not too long ago.  Trying to get clarification, and then I'll just post the created JPG I've made of the whole chat.

• Like 3

Well, Late sign up isn't showing the $1 spot [as expected], but I am wondering if when the PM goes active we can adjust the Star Colonel to the $260 level. If so, giving up the map would see me adding Star Captain as well. I also notice no mention of Elementals in the Late section, any mention about them?

• Like 1