Catalyst Game Labs: BattleTech Clan Invasion box set

Xiwo Xerase

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/7/2019 at 7:38 PM, Corsair said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Nightstar and Marauder 2.

Personally, I view the nightstar as the biggest waste of a slot in the kickstarter.

We have the marauder, marauder II, and Marauder IIC. Did we really need yet another marauder clone with this glut of things we could proxy in? I think about the enormous list of things from '55 and '58 that could've gotten a facelift from the big-hips/bigger-shoulders sculpt era, and I have to close my eyes in pain.

• Haha 1

I'm torn. On the one hand, I agree that priority in this project should be given to 3039\3050 designs that fought in the initial Invasion, or 3055 mechs that were a direct response to the Clans. On the other hand, I firmly believe that anything even vaguely related to Best Mech is an absolute must. There is never any such thing as too many Marauders.

• Like 3

I already locked in my pledge but changed my mind about the Inner Sphere fire lance. I have a Zeus and wasn't so interested in the others. Now after a couple months of playing the video game using a Stalker and Trebuchet a lot and getting hammered by Longbows I wouldn't mind having them on the table too. Not a high priority at the moment though. 

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to finalizing my order in the pledge manager for hopefully the last time in two weeks...  Just have to save up for one last cheque in order to get my paws on the grasslands maps (all four), tundra map, and then strana mechty. 

I'd also love to order the Tukayyid battlemats too, but that's another $130ish USD (including extra shipping costs) I don't have - I'm really hoping I'll be able to pick them up in round two, because yeah, would be nice to get the full set. 

Won't have quite as many mechs are originally hoped for, but it'll still be a very good haul either way... 

I really wish they'd say more about how the second round of the pledge manager will be going. 

• Like 3

I ended up skipping the premium maps. Am I right in thinking we still get the same maps in paper? I'm wondering about  what the deal will be with a second round of the pledge manager too. I'm not interested in a lot of the swag we'll get but I might sneak in more mechs and maps if it opens again. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zink said:

I ended up skipping the premium maps. Am I right in thinking we still get the same maps in paper? I'm wondering about  what the deal will be with a second round of the pledge manager too. I'm not interested in a lot of the swag we'll get but I might sneak in more mechs and maps if it opens again. 

Yes, the Tuakyyid map pack (all eight) will be included with certain pledge levels.  Clan Invasion I believe will have it's own map in the box too.

The second round of pledge manager is something they've talked about since the second AMA if I remember correctly.  Basically, it would be re-opened after Wave 1 ships, albeit with a limited selection of what you can add in, more than likely it would be Wave 2 only stuff.  I'm going to wind up having to wait on the Tukkayid neoprene battlemats myself, I'm getting the grasslands ones since those are the ones I can already see pictures of, and I like them, as does hubby.  They also work together fairly well, at least on the grassland side.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Yes, the Tuakyyid map pack (all eight) will be included with certain pledge levels.  Clan Invasion I believe will have it's own map in the box too.

The second round of pledge manager is something they've talked about since the second AMA if I remember correctly.  Basically, it would be re-opened after Wave 1 ships, albeit with a limited selection of what you can add in, more than likely it would be Wave 2 only stuff.  I'm going to wind up having to wait on the Tukkayid neoprene battlemats myself, I'm getting the grasslands ones since those are the ones I can already see pictures of, and I like them, as does hubby.  They also work together fairly well, at least on the grassland side.

I have played on the grasslands maps. They fit together beautifully, everywhere except where the road and river trail off into nowhere. You can get pretty far with that.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I have played on the grasslands maps. They fit together beautifully, everywhere except where the road and river trail off into nowhere. You can get pretty far with that.

I'm definitely glad to hear such.  While I would love to get the Tukayyid neoprene mats as well, two things are kind of holding that back - not enough funds, and of course, I'd rather get more mechs.  Okay, arguably there's a third in wondering if any of them will be able to work together, and quite honestly?

...At the moment, I don't quite see the benefits behind getting maps that are specific to one particular - albeit iconic - scenario.   Yup, it was a very iconic set of battles, but I suspect it will be a case of "wait and see if they're available in second round" because other things are kind of begging for my money too. 

That and, well, six battlemats will provide plenty of options, doubly so if I were to add in terrain tiles and/or terrain in and of itself... 

• Like 2

@WhiteWulfe, you can always get the paper map packs which are much cheaper than Neoprene. It's not nearly as fancy, but it will get you some extra terrain options. (And you are correct that a lot of that will also be available in retail later on.)

I view the new maps as new options to play any scenario, not just the battles represented. CGL is plainly experimenting with how to design maps, as the grasslands maps are the first new maps for Battletech in roughly two decades. Now, unlike the FASA and Fanpro maps these cannot be tiled easily, as they do not obey the old convention of having the edges always set to level 0, and having all roads and rivers connect to the center of a map edge. I have mixed feelings about that: It makes the new maps more natural looking, and opens up some design options, but it makes them pretty stand-alone.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

@WhiteWulfe, you can always get the paper map packs which are much cheaper than Neoprene. It's not nearly as fancy, but it will get you some extra terrain options. (And you are correct that a lot of that will also be available in retail later on.)

True enough, and I will also be getting the paper versions in my package due to having pledged as a Star Colonel...  I would just prefer neoprene if possible, but exchange but shipping makes it a lot harder to pull off - hence why the whole bit regarding hoping they're still available in the second run of the pledge manager. 

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

I view the new maps as new options to play any scenario, not just the battles represented. CGL is plainly experimenting with how to design maps, as the grasslands maps are the first new maps for Battletech in roughly two decades.

True enough, they could be used for pretty much any battle the terrain matches, it's just... In some ways, the ones shown don't quite have as much of the same balance the grasslands one do - which is good as well.  I think it's mainly a frustration I don't quite have enough to get them, and not having seen all the maps (they've only shown 3/8 so far, and PM closes "end of the month") 

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

Now, unlike the FASA and Fanpro maps these cannot be tiled easily, as they do not obey the old convention of having the edges always set to level 0, and having all roads and rivers connect to the center of a map edge. I have mixed feelings about that: It makes the new maps more natural looking, and opens up some design options, but it makes them pretty stand-alone.

I suspect tiling won't be too much of an issue for us, but it would be a nice option to have two battlemats in use at one time for larger battles (or I might "suck it up" and get a more generic one from a company that does 4x4' maps with BattleTech hex grid on it...) 

• Like 2