Sign in to follow this  
Xiwo Xerase

Catalyst Game Labs: BattleTech Clan Invasion box set

I'm not quite sure what to make of today's update.  Yay for Coyote and Hell's Horses being posted, but... Meh on how their dice look, especially compared to the renders? 

That shade of yellow they went with on Coyote is particularly... Well, to hubby in the "on the table" pic it has a slight amber look, which isn't too bad, but to me, it resembles that "I really should drink more water" urine colour, which isn't something I want in my dice - doubly so after the first proof was posted, and it had a nice orange colour to it. 

Hell's Horses render had a nice burnt orange to it with a black infill, and what they've gone with just doesn't have anywhere near the same appeal to it.  Sure, it's closer to the lgo, but it doesn't have anywhere near that "we're going to roll through you and curbstomp the opposition, leaving them in a smoldering pile of rubble" feel to it, at least for me. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm not quite sure what to make of today's update.  Yay for Coyote and Hell's Horses being posted, but... Meh on how their dice look, especially compared to the renders? 

That shade of yellow they went with on Coyote is particularly... Well, to hubby in the "on the table" pic it has a slight amber look, which isn't too bad, but to me, it resembles that "I really should drink more water" urine colour, which isn't something I want in my dice - doubly so after the first proof was posted, and it had a nice orange colour to it. 

Hell's Horses render had a nice burnt orange to it with a black infill, and what they've gone with just doesn't have anywhere near the same appeal to it.  Sure, it's closer to the lgo, but it doesn't have anywhere near that "we're going to roll through you and curbstomp the opposition, leaving them in a smoldering pile of rubble" feel to it, at least for me. 

The Ice Hellion logo seems very hard to make out in either photo.

Still debating on whether to spend on dice or not, but I am leaning towards "not".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

The Ice Hellion logo seems very hard to make out in either photo.

Still debating on whether to spend on dice or not, but I am leaning towards "not".

Given that the Star Colonel character surveys just went out, and I've upwards of $25 worth of dice being taken out of my current pledge, I'm taking the $75 character buyout option.  That's $100 USD for either more mechs (plus a bit more in shipping), or only $20+shipping to add the four Tukkayid maps into my Wave 2 box...

Still is rather difficult to decide on whether I'm sticking with the dice though.  So far, not really all that impressed, but on the flipside, that amber is very slowly growing on me.

Looking at the three maps that have been posted so far for Tukayyid...  Yeah, I'll probably put the credit towards that....

• Like 3

Haven't gotten a message about the Star Colonel surveys yet but liking the idea of $75 back. Would probably put it towards more mechs instead. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zink said:

Haven't gotten a message about the Star Colonel surveys yet but liking the idea of $75 back. Would probably put it towards more mechs instead. 

Should come as a kickstarter message.

I did my first one.  I'm assuming the add-on Star Colonel gets its own survey later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zink said:

I agree. That $75 was just too tempting to not take and put towards other things.. 

I'd say I'm putting it towards mechs, but I'll instead be putting it towards those Lostech Clan Wolf dice pucks (two of them!) as well as the Tukayyid maps.  Sure, I had to remove two mech packs, the inner sphere retaliation, and thin down the dice and coins I was getting but I'll take a full set of battlemats and some gorgeously sexy dice now... The mechs will be a lot easier to acquire in the future, since they'll have retail distribution, and I could then order them in at a local gaming store.  Battlemats are online and convention only, and the dice are convention only, so they got prioritized.. 

Besides, knowing me, second wind PM I'll wind up adding those mech packs back in, more than likely... 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Hold it, where is the info for a $75 credit?

If you're Star Colonel or higher, it's a $75 cash-in credit if you have a "basic" canon character, or $150 if you're Galaxy Commander or higher (because of the included portrait).  Note that obviously this means you give up having a canon character. 

You should have received a PM on Kickstarter with a survey link, and it's in there you can do the character survey.  First page is basic legal stuff, second page let's you choose if you're going for the character, or cashing in for a credit.  You can choose between a Catalyst Game Labs store credit or a pledge manager credit.  No idea what's on the third page, but I'd suspect that's where you'd enter character info, but I never made it that far. 

I personally chose the PM credit, because I want those Tukayyid battlemats in my box, and already paid for (even if I won't see them for some time).  Oh, and Clan Wolf metal dice too... 

Edit: note that getting a credit is a manual process, so you'll have to wait an unspecified amount of time to receive it, but rumour is it will happen before PM closes.  Additionally, if you upgraded your pledge in PM, the survey links are being sent out soon, but haven't been sent yet as far as I've heard. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just read an update that I'd missed explaining about the canon character survey. I upgraded after the KS ended to Star Colonel and they haven't got around to emailing those people with the surveys yet. 

• Like 2

Wave One is officially delayed due to things/stuff at the manufacturer.  I definitely have to give them credit - mentioning this two months before the expected shipping timeframe definitely had to hurt on their end, but on the flipside they're being open and transparent about it, which is a definite plus in my book.

• Like 3

I don't do a lot of kickstarters but I think only one delivered without a delay. Not worried yet.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Wave One is officially delayed due to things/stuff at the manufacturer.  I definitely have to give them credit - mentioning this two months before the expected shipping timeframe definitely had to hurt on their end, but on the flipside they're being open and transparent about it, which is a definite plus in my book.

The March goal always seemed optimistic to me. Catalyst doesn't provide as much tracking information of "boats on the water" as Reaper does, but I was expecting an announcement like this before too long.

If they get wave 1 out the door by mid-summer, I shall count it a resounding success.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, klarg1 said:

The March goal always seemed optimistic to me. Catalyst doesn't provide as much tracking information of "boats on the water" as Reaper does, but I was expecting an announcement like this before too long.

If they get wave 1 out the door by mid-summer, I shall count it a resounding success.

Yeah, I was personally expecting May to June at the earliest, and would have been happy either way, so it's no pain for me to bear. 

I do like how the second most common thing in the comments seems to be people asking if this means pledge manager is open for longer... ^_^

• Like 3

A nice thing I verified was that the Tshirts are being done by Silkworm. They are only 20 miles from here and do fantastic work. So I have gone from "meh" on the shirts to being excited!

• Like 3