Werkrobotwerk

Getting to Know You July 2019

Welcome to Getting to Know You, July 2019 Edition.

The rules as they currently stand:

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.

1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, and random forum members are all chomping at the bit to step in and post one... 

2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.
2.5. (Rule 2 is the most frequently ignored rule.)
3. Questions are going to be posted sometime before 9:30am Eastern US Daylight time
4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to me... 
5. You do not have to answer every question to play...
6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why can be fun...unless TMI).
7. Weekend questions will usually take the form of two or three day quests, starting on Friday or Saturday.

First question will be posted in the morning July 1st. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Woohoo! Welcome to the Official ranks of the Quisitors!

What he said!

Good luck and thanks for doing this!

• Like 6

July 1.

What two monsters do you like to group together that don't obviously go together, and why? 

Monsters can be from any setting/game/genre you feel like.

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 1.

What two monsters do you like to group together that don't obviously go together, and why? 

I'm not gamer, but I like to create armies and such.

I like to pair Demons and Undead because I feel they're both on the same side.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 1.

Can't say that I've ever grouped anything like that. But I'll pick demons and cows because of the Diablo 2... cuz you know, the secret cow level.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

One of my favorite encounters I've created was for the last Eberron campaign I ran:

The Stonescale tribe of kobolds, living deep in the Shadow Marches, has an affinity for shamanic stoneshaping magic. They have built their subterranean home beneath the swamp by transmuting mud to stone, and they have learned how to liquefy semiprecious stones and inject them into molds. Like most kobolds, they build traps, but much of their energy is spent on artisanal pursuits. They guard their home fiercely, for fear of the secrets of their magic spreading; adventurers approaching the Stonescale territory will be met by Kobold rangers astride cockatrices and Kobold warriors flanked by slavering basilisks.

I've also paired fire Giants and trolls, because I thought it'd be a pretty nasty encounter. I was right.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

July 1.

I can't really think of any "don't go together" examples.    Maybe Warforged with normal horses or something.
Wyverns and Orcs.. not so weird.  Bugbears and giant spiders maybe?  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Owl bear and troll team up. Sort of. The team hears a ruckus in the ruins just over the next hill. The ranger tries to scout it out and see what's going on. What he finds is an owlbear with a troll pinned down under its claws and eating its liver. Repeatedly. Seemed like a perfect combo. The owlbear has an insatiable appetite and with its regeneration the troll is an all you can eat buffet. Unfortunately, the ranger blew his stealth and got attacked by a fattened owlbear and an enraged troll at the same time. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

July 1.

Back when I played TSR’s Battlesytem mass combat game I had an orc/kobold army.

Mostly just because those were what I had the most miniatures of at the time.

I can’t think of any other examples.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

In my homebrew there are a group of Kobolds and some Duergar that have an uneasy alliance with the other dwarves because they have access to a rare ore. They decided early on that if they caused too much of a stink that eventually the dwarves would get tired of it and just mount a campaign against them. Additionally selling ore is much less risky than trying to raid, pillage, and loot. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 1.

Nothing comes to mind, but then the last games I played were SO LONG AGO that I only have vague memories of ever having played.

I do hope this won't be a month of gaming questions.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 1:

Good question...

Doppeldragon: I created a dragon once that was 2x the power/danger level of the standard chromatic dragons it was based on. It had 20 Hit Dice. Black dragon contributed 11 Green dragon contributed 9. Alternating scales of neon green and jet black. It had both breath weapons: noxious cloud or caustic fluid stream. It had all the attack upgrades, foot stomps, tail swipe, and so forth.

The Why: ultra powered party needed serious opposition. 

Animated Armors and Baluchitherium: The armors were scaled down to Dwarf size. The beast was scaled down considerably, given an extra set of legs (for a total of six) and three Rhino horns were added. Two or three suits of armor crewed each beast (which was still 2 meters tall).

The Why: Next best thing to a tank.  ::D:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Red Dragons and Trolls.  In my world, trolls are twisted versions of other creatures made by Red Dragons via alchemy.  They self produce now, but they were once, in the ancient past, Humans, Orcs, Ogres, and Giants that were changed into my various species of trolls.  All trolls in my world automatically obey any red dragon as if via a compulsion.  They are often used as shock troops.

(As an aside, my red dragons are also typically Lawful, not Chaotic.  Blues are Chaotic and solitary; the Reds are organized and lead nations of orcs, trolls, and golbinoids.)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

In Bloodbowl I ran [actually still do] a Female Chaos Dwarf team. It is really fun to whoop those bigger, badder teams with a bunch of lavender wearing dwarfs and goblins!

• Like 2
  • Haha 8