Werkrobotwerk

Getting to Know You July 2019

38 minutes ago, TGP said:

5b573f6dd1015937008b45ef-750-500.jpg

The Map

I am seeing a lot of City Mouse/Country Mouse on this Map. The Orange area has bluish carve-outs corresponding to Dallas, Houston, Galveston, Miami, and Baltimore. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 11. Are there fire flies where you live?

No, I've never seen fireflies in the pacific NW. The last time I saw them was in North Carolina, which we left when I was 8.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Loim said:

I knew there was a reason I liked you. 

Grandma was a country girl from deep Mississippi. Grandpa was a Maine lobstahmun. 

There's a reason I'm a character!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Yep. Mostly the big dipper variety, but we've got about a dozen other species in my area. They're not as abundant as when I was a kid. But there do seem to be more now than there were about a decade or so ago. I know this is all anecdotal, but it seems to me that the more recent increase in me seeing them is an indicator of water and soil quality improvements (the larvae prefer moist areas like stream banks and the adults burrow into soil in winter).

My favorite are from the genus Photuris. The adult females mimic the light displays of other species in order to attract unrelated males and eat them! Fun stuff.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Yes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TGP said:

How do they like hard clay soils @Thoramel ?

Honestly, couldn't tell you. Don't have an awful lot of that in my region. At least not near the surface. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TGP said:

How do they like hard clay soils @Thoramel ?

They seem to manage well enough here, but like I said earlier, I maintain a thick groundcover too.  Keep a patch of grass, weeds, and bushes and you'll get bugs and birds galore. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, TGP said:

I am seeing a lot of City Mouse/Country Mouse on this Map. The Orange area has bluish carve-outs corresponding to Dallas, Houston, Galveston, Miami, and Baltimore. 

While I sort of see where you're going with your analysis, you seem to be ignoring all the decidedly non-city blue areas and forgetting about some fairly major cities in the solidly orange area. ::P:

• Like 3

Just now, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 12.

Ever been in an earthquake? How did that go?

Nope.  Land may be boring as far as the eye can see but that is a perk of living in the prairies... 

Been in a "simulated" one at a museum in that New Zealand city that has all the art deco buildings though.  It was... Didn't quite feel anything like what friends who've been in quakes describe. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 12.

Ever been in an earthquake? How did that go?

A couple. The first one was exciting. I was sitting on a couch and it started bouncing without my help. It stopped before I could do more than go, wtf! 

The second one was scarier, because I was asleep when it started and it was far more violent. It also lasted longer. 

In neither were me or mine hurt, so :winkthumbs:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1