Werkrobotwerk

Getting to Know You July 2019

14 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 18. Is there something you want a mini of that you just can't find? If so what is it?

A sprue with a wide variety of 28mm drums. The Reaper instrument pack is nice, but needs more drums. I've slowly started on a goblin marching band and I'm thinking the vast majority of it should be percussion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

17 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Thanks, I've done a few of those:

837883892_InfinitySFscots.thumb.jpg.9e5903fc14ddd31a9cd3a3cff1ec9ccf.jpg

But I find Infinity figures terribly fiddly and often break them when basing them.

Nice tartan! 

I agree that they're a royal pain to build, although the more recent ones have been getting slightly easier to put together.

I still can't forgive them for the human sized mini that had 17 pieces though <_<

13 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

I might, if I could get my hands on one for less than $30 ... 

12 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I Feel your pain; I still haven't been able to snag one either.

I was originally going to say Wizkids Beholder but I thought it was a wish fulfillment thing, not total fantasy ::P:

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 19. Do you go to any conventions? If so, which ones, and what do you go there to do?

My wife and I go to Origins Game Fair every year for the full five days. We live less than 3 miles from the convention center so we treat it kind of like a staycation. We typically like to try and do a mix of gaming while there with everything from card games to crazy 100 person RPGs (All Hail King Torg!). We've even done some light larping in the past. In addition to gaming we also make it a point to spend time with out of town friends who come in for the convention, check out the pride parade that happens at the same time, and drink too much beer. All in all, a great time. 

We're also batting around the idea of going to the big national home brewer's convention in the future. But that takes place during some of my busiest work time every year. So haven't been able to get to it yet.

Reapercon sounds like fun too. But my wife doesn't paint, so I'd be on my own for that one. And being slightly introverted, travelling to a con alone doesn't sound totally appealing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 19. Do you go to any conventions? If so, which ones, and what do you go there to do?

At the moment, not really.  Might be willing to go to Animethon again. 

I've always wanted to go to one European one since it was held in a castle for a while, but there's that whole "I'm flying out to go to a con" kind of thing that bugs me, since flights are so expensive. 

Now, if HWBot started up their World Tour again, and gave proper notice as to where the North American stop would be, and say it was Montreal again.... I'd seriously consider going to it, especially if I could bench some of my older hardware....  I want to make my P5E beg for mercy! ...And maybe hit an even faster fsb too, while we're at it...  And maybe hit 6GHz with an E8400 too - heck, even 5.5GHz would be nice.  My current best is "only" 5175.81MHz with said CPU, a 72.53% overclock... 

Wonder if I could get the E1200 up to 5Ghz too...  Doubtful, current hardware record on the 'bot is 46xx MHz, but I'd be happy with getting it over 4GHz...

The World Tour stop was at LANets, but sadly they stopped doing that in 2018....  The World Tour that is. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I've only ever been to one convention, and that was just because there was gonna be a reaper paint and take, and I want to meet some of y'all.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Not really or, at least, not recently. In the early '70s I went to two historical shows in Chester, PA. Along with some local one day affairs, I went to the '96 I-Con as a vendor.

That's it. I have half heartedly coaxed Cap'n John about going to Reaper Con. He can't get his head around staying for four days, AND I can't imagine what I would do there

...I can't hear well enough to attend tutorials or awards ceremonies.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I have gone to many conventions over the years – Origins, GenCon, RheinCon, GenghisCon, Tacticon, ReaperCon, GAMA, WorldCon, World Fantasy, MileHiCon, .... And my wife has run convention art shows for decades (including the WorldCon art show). At this point I'm mostly over conventions for conventions' sake. I'll be at ReaperCon of course (teaching, taking classes, and mostly seeing people I like) and I'll probably go to GenghisCon next time to do much the same, but that's about it these days.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I do Salute each year if I am on land, pretty much a years worth of hobbying in one day. (I want thatandthatandthatand...)

It's a life time ambition to get across the pond and do either Historicon or Gencon.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I've been to ReaperCon, but I haven't attended since they changed the schedule from Spring to Fall/Summer. It's about the only convention that is logistically feasible for me to attend. Honestly if I attend in the future I imagine it would just be for a day or so to see people and hang out a bit. It's gotten a bit big for my taste. Too many people. Same reason I rarely attend gun shows anymore. 

In theory I'd like to attend a few of the bigger conventions, but I know realistically that the crowds and hassle would destroy any enjoyment for me. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Now I do Origins every year for 23 years.  Once I went to Gencon and that was two times too many.  Before Origins I went to Michicon but it went downhill.  I have gone to a few other cons but only once or twice each.

I go to Cons to game.  Mostly now I RPG.  Shadowrun, Pathfinder and Starfinder lately.  I also GM Aces & Eights a western game. Normally I go with my friends, but last time it was by myself.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

For a little while, I attended:

Total Confusion

PAX East

OGC

GenCon

ReaperCon

regularly, and occasionally put in an appearance at CaptainCon, down in RI.

Now? Not so much, but I am getting back to it.

I very nearly took 2018 off from conventions, due to work and life-related issues.

This year, I planned to go to TotalCon (local New England convention), but was sick with the flu, and had to skip.

This weekend is New Hampshire's Open Gaming Convention (OGC), and I am currently planning to at least be there Saturday, and maybe Sunday morning.

If all goes to plan, I will also be at ReaperCon for the whole event.

Gencon has is simply become to crowded, and too expensive for me. I made a point of attending Gencon 50, but that was the last, and probably will be for some time.

If I can become wealthy enough to pay the insane prices for booking hotel rooms outside of the main housing block, I may reconsider. (I have no plans in motion to make this happen.)

I have been to Origins, but not for at least 7-8 years. For a little while, I road-tripped it to Columbus regularly with a group of local gamers.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

I do Salute each year if I am on land, pretty much a years worth of hobbying in one day. (I want thatandthatandthatand...)

It's a life time ambition to get across the pond and do either Historicon or Gencon.

They're very different experiences.

GenCon has a vibe kind of similar to San Diego Comic-Con – people everywhere, a huge vendor floor, difficult to get into events because they all sell out, difficult to get a hotel room because every room within 20 miles has been sold out for months. But it is also this amazing spectacle where a thousand things are happening all the time. If that's the kind of thing you like, it will be exactly what you're looking for.

Historicon is much more about the gaming (and much smaller). The vendor room is good, but not overwhelming, and it's much less of an EVENT. It's also very much a historicals convention and anything else is there very much on sufferance. (HMGS was started in large part because many historical miniatures gamers were unhappy with System7 Napoleonics getting the Origins Award for miniatures rules when it used counters without miniatures on them — "We'll show them!")

Both are very much in the American tradition of 24-hour/day, multiple-day conventions, which seem a very different thing to me than the frantic 10 hours (or whatever) of British conventions. And both are fun events if you go in with the right attitude.

Every once in a while, Origins (in Columbus, OH) and Historicon have been on consecutive weekends. If that happens again, it can make for a really nice couple of weeks, since Lancaster is close to Washington DC (and thus the Smithsonian) and many ACW battlefields are near there or between Lancaster and Columbus. Oh, and the AF museum in Dayton (about an hour from Columbus) is freaking amazing. Might be worth looking for.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

The convention I go to with regularity is Animazement, the local yearly annual anime convention.  It's one of the larger anime conventions in the southeastern US but it's not that large.

Usually, I go to buy things in the dealer's room and artist's alley and sometimes catch panels.  AnimEigo is kinda local so they usually have a panel.  This year was the first time I caught it.

I'd like to go to ReaperCon regularly.  I went last year and had loads of fun.  I planned to go this year but life got in the way.  Maybe next year.

I'd like to go to one of the conventions where Iron Wind Metals goes to see what their vendor booth is like.  That probably means Cold Wars or Historicon in Lancaster, PA or Origins.  I'm not a huge fan of historical miniatures though.  This is a trip I'd probably have to do by myself since my wife wouldn't be interested.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Loim said:

I've been to ReaperCon, but I haven't attended since they changed the schedule from Spring to Fall/Summer. It's about the only convention that is logistically feasible for me to attend. Honestly if I attend in the future I imagine it would just be for a day or so to see people and hang out a bit. It's gotten a bit big for my taste. Too many people. Same reason I rarely attend gun shows anymore. 

In theory I'd like to attend a few of the bigger conventions, but I know realistically that the crowds and hassle would destroy any enjoyment for me. 

This, except the ease of access. It's quite expensive for me to attend from NY (and I don't do long car trips for a variety of reasons).

Moving from spring to autumn killed it for me entirely, that's when the fiancee and I vacay in New England.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1