Werkrobotwerk

Getting to Know You July 2019

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 19. Do you go to any conventions? If so, which ones, and what do you go there to do?

Game-related, I've only been to Origins Game Fair a few times. Went for three consecutive years right when I started painting, but I haven't been able to go for several years. I went for the vendor hall, to find the obscure; first year I went I found a vendor with copious amounts of Rackham metals (Rackham had just shutdown too that year), and a GM shield for Hackmaster with the awesome critical hit chart.

Non-game-wise, I went for several years to the Arnold Fitness Expo. It's more than just a bodybuilding event, it has tournaments and spotlights for several martial arts. I went to compete, and corner my training partners during their matches.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

July 19. Do you go to any conventions? If so, which ones, and what do you go there to do?

The only one I am really faithful to is a local one called Salukicon [formerly Egyptian Campaign], now that I am retired, I do want to try to go to Reaper in 2020 and maybe one other.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

They're very different experiences.

GenCon has a vibe kind of similar to San Diego Comic-Con – people everywhere, a huge vendor floor, difficult to get into events because they all sell out, difficult to get a hotel room because every room within 20 miles has been sold out for months. But it is also this amazing spectacle where a thousand things are happening all the time. If that's the kind of thing you like, it will be exactly what you're looking for.

Historicon is much more about the gaming (and much smaller). The vendor room is good, but not overwhelming, and it's much less of an EVENT. It's also very much a historicals convention and anything else is there very much on sufferance. (HMGS was started in large part because many historical miniatures gamers were unhappy with System7 Napoleonics getting the Origins Award for miniatures rules when it used counters without miniatures on them — "We'll show them!")

Both are very much in the American tradition of 24-hour/day, multiple-day conventions, which seem a very different thing to me than the frantic 10 hours (or whatever) of British conventions. And both are fun events if you go in with the right attitude.

Every once in a while, Origins (in Columbus, OH) and Historicon have been on consecutive weekends. If that happens again, it can make for a really nice couple of weeks, since Lancaster is close to Washington DC (and thus the Smithsonian) and many ACW battlefields are near there or between Lancaster and Columbus. Oh, and the AF museum in Dayton (about an hour from Columbus) is freaking amazing. Might be worth looking for.

Thanks for all of that Doug.

The thought of combining such a show with some museums and battlefields has got me thinking....

Thinking: "Could I really pull off a bank robbery!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Almost never.

I visited Crisis in Antwerp years ago to purchase minis and watch some painted armies and games.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've been to some comiccons in Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto over the past few years.  GenCon, ReaperCon and SDCC are on the bucket list for... one day maybe.  Shopping, game testing and celebrity panels are the big highlights.  Been to a couple cool world-building/DMing sessions over the years as well.  

My wife and I went to FanExpo in Toronto with my wife for our 10th anniversary and 3 buddies tagged along.  Was a great 4 days of geeking out.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

There aren't a lot of conventions near me. I've gone to a couple in Saskatchewan and Alberta and they were small and not that exciting. Still enjoyed my time there because I don't get to chat with other gamers much. Always wanted to go to one of the big ones somewhere but it's pretty low on my priority list for vacations.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes.  Many over the years...I have been out of the SF convention circuit for a long time, but used to go for LARPs, shopping, and hanging out with my friends. In game conventions, I started with a Michicon in Detroit in 1976. For many years, from 1988 on, I’ve been a regular at the Historical Miniatures Gaming Society’s conventions, Cold Wars and Historicon, plus an occasional Fall In. I’ve been a bit less regular the last few years,  but made it to Historicon last weekend. Our miniatures club puts on a local convention, mostly historicals, Barrage. That’s coming up in September this year.  For most of those, it’s a combination of hosting and playing games, plus some shopping. I’ve been doing Huzzah in Portland Maine pretty regularly this decade, for the same three reasons plus it’s the agreed midway meeting point with a Nova Scotian friend of mine. We’ve both been part of local group expeditions the past few years, which leads to an amusing situation where the Marylanders and the Nova Scotians usually have breakfast together, representing the geographical extremes of the convention’s attendees. 

And then there’s Gencon. After one visit in 1980, we started attending annually in 2014. Gencon is big, really, really big. It’s still like a minis con, in that it’s hosting, playing, and shopping, but over all gaming genres of interest...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Non-hobby-related,

There are none I go to regularly, but I have frequented several USENIX conferences in the past. Most frequently FAST, ATC, and HotStorage.

Hobby-related:

I have aspirations of attending Spiel Essen at least once, just to check it out.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not any more.

Went to Amecon (a decent sized anime convention) a few times during the 00's, it was basically just an excuse for a bunch of friends to hang out together for a weekend and watch way too much anime.

I'd like to try out Salute one of these days, but I don't know if I would enjoy it or not, I really can't handle crowds very well any more.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

No, I usually either lack funds or lack means of getting there. The closest I came was while I was in Austin, but every restaurant I worked for condemned me to the damn brunch shifts. Only when I broke my leg did I get 2 weekends off. 

Eventually I'd like to make ReaperCon, but it won't be this year. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I tend to do my local conventions.

That used to mean Kublacon.

Now it means PAX Unplugged and the Philly tattoo convention.

Last year at PAX I grew so frustrated with the lack of Call of Cthulhu games that I ran my own. This year I plan to bypass the 'get frustrated' event in that series and simply run my own again.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Conventions:

About the only one for me is ReaperCon, 2005 to 2018. Thou as stated, I will miss this year due to the dates (Labor Day weekend, boooooo) but I will hope to return next year in 2020. I did go to Las Vegas Open 2019 this past Feb. It's a wargaming con, but there was enough rpg elements that I may go back next year, that & I'd like to explore Vegas more next time. If I can't get RCon next year, I'd like to try Adepticon, as allot of people I wanna see at RCon, are at that con. 

As noted above, I go to the various cons for rpging & RCon especially, the the minis but I go mostly to see people that I've become friends with & only get to see them once a year.

As far as local, I just learned there is a gaming Con over in Boise (or Garden City, suburb of) called Gem State, that I may attend next year if only for a day. It was held last weekend. There is a comic/geek genre con here in Ontario called Bordertown. As I really don't want nothing to do with this town besides my FLGS, it's not a high priority but my daughter has attended it since it started 3 or 4 years ago. 

I'm sure there are other in the area but nothing I can think of at the moment.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

There's a competition BBQ happening next week, does that count? ::P:

I've been to Calgary Fan Expo, as well as the ones in Regina and Saskatoon. I am hoping that my friend and I will be able to go to the one in Saskatoon this year, since John Barrowman will be there.  He was at Saskatoon's very fist Expo, let's hope that it goes better for him this time than it did back then.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Currently, the list is Paizocon (helping to run the paint-and-take), and Reapercon (miniatures, painting, Forums in real time).

Used to go to Gamestorm (gaming!), stopped when the indie games we weren't interested in largely took over the TTRPGs we were interested in. Dropped in on Orcacon one year, might go back, as it was fun. Dropped in on Dragonflight one year, weren't impressed (largely, nothing we really wanted to play), crashed Norwescon for the vendor room...  oh, and we hit Blizzcon once. That was interesting.

We're not what you'd call super-hyped by crowds, though, so Gencon is probably right out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I've only ever been to one convention ever: Steamcon in Seattle, the first one. It was an interesting experience. I stayed with my parents (free housing!) but my dad was my transportation and I ended up dragging him around. He was somewhat interested in the thing, but less than I was and I felt kinda bad for it. Any con I try to do again I'll try and get something either at or near the convention center. I also wish I had more money to spend while I was there. Overall it was fun though. It was Steampunk themed but kind of unfocused in general, lots of various stuff that was even vaguely steampunk related.

Living in Alaska travel can be difficult so I don't get much opportunity to go to con's. At some point I would like to go to ReaperCon though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1