Werkrobotwerk

Getting to Know You July 2019

11 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 19. Do you go to any conventions? If so, which ones, and what do you go there to do?

I went to one many years ago for an online MUD I used to play; there were a lot of panels about various aspects of the game and a fair amount of drinking. I had fun, but never went again mostly due to schedule conflicts ( I was still in the Navy at the time) .

I've been to the past 4 Reapercons, and will continue going for the foreseeable future. I go for a lot of reasons, but one of the biggest is the chance to hang out with you guys and gals in person.

10 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Reapercon sounds like fun too. But my wife doesn't paint, so I'd be on my own for that one. And being slightly introverted, travelling to a con alone doesn't sound totally appealing. 

Does she like role playing games?  There is gaming going on almost the entire time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 19. Do you go to any conventions? If so, which ones, and what do you go there to do?

This year it's just ReaperCon, but I've also attended BaltiCon, CastleCon  & EveCon (sister cons, now defunct), TridentCon, Charm City Games Day, ConnetiCon... And I think one or two others...  BaltiCon is a scifi/fantasy literature con, so the focus is on books more than anything, but it's a big con, so there's lots of gaming, cosplay, science panels, and movie/tv stuff. Most of the others are more gaming related. ConnetCon was a general fandom con when I attended. I imagine that hasn't changed.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I don't generally go to conventions for a couple of reasons- most of the good ones are waaaay down South and I really don't handle crowds well at all.

That said,  love to go to Reapercon someday. It looks a lot more laid back than most of the others I've seen. It would also be amazing to take the classes from all those amazing instructors. 

8 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

.......go to the one in Saskatoon this year, since John Barrowman will be there.  He was at Saskatoon's very fist Expo, let's hope that it goes better for him this time than it did back then.

Okay, I'll bite- what happened to him the first time at the Expo?

Hope it wasn't anything too bad, he's one of the loveliest celebrities I've ever met :wub: 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

It’s only been the last few years that I’ve gone to conventions.

Trumpeters convention is for the more serious wargamer. It’s a small local convention that I go to just to look at the gaming tables. There’s no social events or programs just mostly older guys serious into their game.

I don’t stay that long.

FanExpo I go to mostly for the artists and vendors. Or if there’s someone appearing I’d really like to meet. There’s a bit of gaming but really, not much.

I’d been going to PAX Prime in Seattle for a few years to help out at Reapers paint and take, but since Reapercon was moved to the same weekend Reaper no longer attends it and I don’t go.

I also went to Paizocon for a few years when Bryan was still with Reaper to help him run the paint and take.

I missed a year, but helped out again this year when OneBoot took over to run it, along with several other Forumites helping out.

Thats about it in recent times.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 20. You did what, to the moon?

Shh! Nobody needs to know about that!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

24 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

50 years ago was watching it on back and white TV!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Bah, a little glue and some modeling putty and no one will ever notice.

One badly aimed chili-bomb, and everybody just loses their minds... honestly.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I took a semi-terrible eyepiece projection shot of it...  Although this is from, uhm, a few weeks ago?  June 15th apparently.  Through one of Edmonton RASC's telescopes.  (or was it RASC Edmonton... Always forget the order they go in) 

IMG_20190615_232520.thumb.jpg.1185cdd4e7b4de59770eb1a91de6ed31.jpg

For shaky paws and trying to hold my phone at the right position.. Without a holder... I definitely can't complain. ^_^

I think I've also muttered stuff about how it's obscuring the sky with its blinding brightness! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I don't generally go to conventions for a couple of reasons- most of the good ones are waaaay down South and I really don't handle crowds well at all.

That said,  love to go to Reapercon someday. It looks a lot more laid back than most of the others I've seen. It would also be amazing to take the classes from all those amazing instructors. 

Okay, I'll bite- what happened to him the first time at the Expo?

Hope it wasn't anything too bad, he's one of the loveliest celebrities I've ever met :wub: 

The first Saskatoon Fan Expo was............bad. It was horribly disorganized, poorly, laid out, and it was painfully obvious that the organizers had no experience with running an event of that magnitude. I should note, however, that the Expo has vastly improved since then and they learned the lessons from the first one. When it came to John Barrowman's photo ops, the lineup was put in an awkward place and it went at a literal crawl. My then-friend had been in line, had to leave it due to food poisoning, and when she came back 15 minutes later she found that the part of the lineup where she had been had only moved ahead by three spots, if that. It was so slow that John Barrowman came right out of the photo area and started giving orders to the event staff around him. He got someone to bring him a megaphone, and then he took charge and organized the whole thing himself, directing the staff and the fans to get everything going. It was almost magic how the lineup started moving at a quick pace after that( he has a heck of a lot of experience with conventions, after all), and he was able to clear the line before he had to get to his panel discussion (which was inappropriately hilarious).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Hey, I was lied to! The moon was neither green nor cheese.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Mooned it.

Kinda the opposite of an eclipse.

An ascent from one celestial body to another, if you will.

:ph34r:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

When I was young,  my dad and me did actually howl at the moon pretending to be werewolves, just for fun.

Howl wolf.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2