Werkrobotwerk

Getting to Know You July 2019

My grandparents used to have some local friends who had a horse and a Shetland pony. When they decided to move back to Texas they asked my grandparents to look after said animals "for a short while" which ended up being years and years. From that experience I learned that Shetland ponies are evil, and that horses are terrible on fence. Since I don't particularly enjoy rebuilding fence any more than I have to I plan on limiting future interaction with horses to none. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 23. Have any experience with horses?

I know a couple of Folk who have horses, but that is the extent of my equine experiences.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Only that they are scary when they charge you.  On May 4th 1970 I was sitting down minding my own business when about eight men on horses charged at me.  I had to get up and run, but one of them followed me.  I then had to dive up a wall.  Ten history points for anyone that can say why I was sitting in the middle of a major four lane highway that afternoon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

We used to use horses extensively. My grandfather and father were excellent horsemen. I'm competent but don't have then time to work with them properly anymore. We used to ride about 20-30 miles a week checking pastures, cattle and just as something to do in the evenings. I still own one horse and a pony for the kids. The horse is old and almost useless. The pony is an annoying little $!%% like most ponies. My tack is ancient and not in good condition and I haven't ridden in 2 years. Miss it a lot but use a 1/4 ton pickup for rounding up/ moving animals now. Love horses and dogs but neither of them are really a part of my life now. If you want stories I have a lifetime of them. Some are even interesting.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

Have any experience with horses? 

My family bought a farm when I was in Jr High.  They mostly raise sheep and Aussies, but there have always been 1d4 horses living there as well. 

I can ride, and did some saddling, stall mucking and grooming but I avoided farmlife when possible.  It has probably been 20 years since I have done anything but feed one.

Currently, they are down to 1 horse, and it is not trained for riding. 

I have only fallen off once.  and I was way more mad than hurt, especially after trying to catch the skittish horse with an injured ankle. Apparently, corn is scary but not as scary as an ex-rider yelling and swearing then trying to get back on. 

OK, I have to ask: What was the market value of the Australians once you had raised them?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

22 minutes ago, ttuckerman said:

Only that they are scary when they charge you.  On May 4th 1970 I was sitting down minding my own business when about eight men on horses charged at me.  I had to get up and run, but one of them followed me.  I then had to dive up a wall.  Ten history points for anyone that can say why I was sitting in the middle of a major four lane highway that afternoon.

That was the day of the Kent State Massacre. I assume you were part of the nationwide protests that day of Nixon’s ramping up the Vietnam War, and good for you. Seemed like all of my parents’ friends were off to the protests.

One of my earliest memories is Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young’s “Ohio” coming out just in time for my fourth birthday, the next month.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TRE9vMBBe10

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Only from a long, long time ago.

The year my family lived in France (87-88), we lived in a small rural suburb town which had a pretty large stable. Me and my siblings all got to take horse riding classes for that year (pony in the case of my sister). So I got the basic horse riding (European/English style) and horse grooming lessons. I was 16 years old that year.

I don't think I've been on a horse since then.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Not since childhood, really, and I was never much of a horse person (my mother was. I ... was not. We didn't really have the resources for her to fix that). One of my uncles still has horses, but there are a few state borders between him and me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I sat on the back of one and was led along a path once as a child.  Not had any opportunities to get closer than that, though I see them in pastures around here often.   They offer the adult version of my childhood experience, but haven't been able to convince DH or friends to try it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Yes! When I was in 6th grade I got to leave school once a week for the afternoon to go ride horses! It was awesome! 

I like to think it was because one of the teachers saw my rad shirt with embroidered horses, but it was more likely because I was hecking poor and they thought I was "at risk". 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Does using glue count?

Otherwise no, only viewed them from afar. Though I always marvel at them, very lovely creatures.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

That was the day of the Kent State Massacre. I assume you were part of the nationwide protests that day of Nixon’s ramping up the Vietnam War, and good for you. Seemed like all of my parents’ friends were off to the protests.

One of my earliest memories is Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young’s “Ohio” coming out just in time for my fourth birthday, the next month.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TRE9vMBBe10

I had just come back from a protest march on our campus.  Came back to the dorm and heard about the shooting.  Then I heard that some of the people going back to their dorms heard about it and stopped and sat down in the middle of the street.  Being from the Kent area, I joined them.  The Cleveland Police sent their mounted unit to break it up.  When they charged I moved quickly to the sidewalk. One of them followed me.  I had to dive unto a hill over a 3 foot wall (Severance Center the home of the Cleveland Orchestra).  That summer I worked across the street from the KSU campus.  Got the watch all the Jeeps patrolling.  My younger sister normally would have been walking from class in that area, but fortunately her class got out early.

I have always thought that our university was more radical than the party school KSU.  Friday night problems were mostly that the students were angry that they closed the bars than a protest of the war.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I've ridden a bit (no pun intended). Growing up, my neighbors (again, no pun intended) had a small gentleman's farm with a couple horses.

Mostly what that meant for me, as a neighborhood kid, was helping put up hay every year and that one year we built a new barn.

Riding the horse was fun, but I was more about the ATVs back then.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I rode horses at several years' worth of summer camp, really just sitting on a horse while it walked.

I also, while at stunt school, did some trick mounts and "safe" falls from horseback at standing, walk, trot and canter. Turns out, rolling out of a saddle onto the ground at speed hurts no matter how well you know how to fall; who knew? 

I like horses a bunch, but haven't had all that much opportunity in the last decade.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1