Werkrobotwerk

Getting to Know You July 2019

Stunt training is awesome. I wish I had formal training, I learned the hard and slow way!

Last week I stunned my neighbors when I jumped off my roof, rather than walk all the way to the back of the house where the ladder was. I mean, it's a one story house. And rather than just stick the landing like I used to, I did a tuck roll out of it. I mean, I am almost 50 now. I forget not everyone does this kind of thing.

My fiancee is horrified by my antics, but she didn't know me when I was actually out of control.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 23. Have any experience with horses?

We used to have horses on the farm until I was 5 or 6. My sister was the one that used to ride them all the time, once she moved out the horses were sold off.

At the fair and harvest showdown I'm usually around horses for the chuckwagon/chariot races and the light horse shows, so I know my way around them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Riding lessons as a kid. Trail riding as a Girl Scout. Ranch-handing at summer camps. Very little since puberty, though. Unsure how much I still know. Haven't had the opportunity to test.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yep. My mom had her ancient horse from high school up until I was ~6 years old. I still remember her. Tall black thoroughbred, technically named Nightmare, but we all called her Moo. Apparently I fell off her (just a "plop") when I was 2.

My parents got horses again when I was 12. A percheron/QH mare - looked like a percheron draft horse but was quite nearly pony sized. She was amazing Boss Mare. Alas, she had to be sold soon after my parents split. My brother's horse was a lanky QH mare, a total princess sweetheart. She passed away a few years ago due to a degenerative muscular disorder. My mom has my horse in Oregon now. He's a chunky palomino QH, and his whole life he's had a case of Needs to Do More Yoga. No arthritis or anything like that, just stiff. He's pretty much never lame. At 29 years old, the only problem is that he's lost a tooth and he's blind in one eye. Not bad for an ancient horse!

I learned to ride on that horse, and he has a special gait. A bumpy gait. Like a run-away washing machine. He's extremely well behaved... but he distinctly follows "rider's calf on belly means GO". He's a fat and wide horse with low withers, so keeping calves off is tough. He also has slick fur. Somehow I managed to learn to stick a canter not only in saddle, but totally bareback. We'd go jumping in the arena without the trainer knowing (she was a twit who thought he couldn't jump, because he isn't a warmblood or thoroughbred - the horse can jump). May have also been an idiot and taken him out into the fields alone.... totally bareback... using the halter and lead rope instead of a bridle... and gone galloping around. >.> Also taught him tricks, like hugging people and giving kisses on command, and counting or going to where I point. He's very smart and food-motivated.

No idea how I didn't hurt myself. Nowadays I don't think I quite have the thigh strength to manage any of that.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

My grandpa used to rent a couple of stables out in his barn to some work horses when we were kids. This was in the early 70s, so they were already obsolete for ag work across the entire county. I had to feed them and muck out the stalls as a chore. They were generally friendly animals, until they decided they weren't. And then they could go right back to being friendly at the drop of a hat. One bit me one time and threw me by my hair when I had my back turned to it. As a result, I've always thought horses have some sort of crazy switch they can just flip on and off at will. I also dated a girl one time who was one of those "crazy for horses" people that obsess over them and spend lots of their parents money to basically have a large pet that someone else takes care of. She also seemed to have an on/off switch for crazy. Now I just avoid horses and the people who are really into them. I probably shouldn't stereotype like that (for either the animals or their admirers), but this policy seems to be serving me well so I'm sticking with it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Not since MacDonalds went 100% beef...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Yes.

Two.

(This is not counting attempts to draw horses. I wish I could draw horses better, but most of my attempts have been sad.)

Both experiences were positive, so based on a very tiny sample size: I like horses and they like me.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

My grandpa used to rent a couple of stables out in his barn to some work horses when we were kids. This was in the early 70s, so they were already obsolete for ag work across the entire county. I had to feed them and muck out the stalls as a chore. They were generally friendly animals, until they decided they weren't. And then they could go right back to being friendly at the drop of a hat. One bit me one time and threw me by my hair when I had my back turned to it. As a result, I've always thought horses have some sort of crazy switch they can just flip on and off at will. I also dated a girl one time who was one of those "crazy for horses" people that obsess over them and spend lots of their parents money to basically have a large pet that someone else takes care of. She also seemed to have an on/off switch for crazy. Now I just avoid horses and the people who are really into them. I probably shouldn't stereotype like that (for either the animals or their admirers), but this policy seems to be serving me well so I'm sticking with it. 

I think we dated the same girl. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, paintybeard said:

OK, I have to ask: What was the market value of the Australians once you had raised them?

oh you dont make very much on the sale, thats basically a loss leader. 

the money comes in when the new owner brings them back for training. 

or boards them with you for a few days so they can have some peace and quiet/ a vacation. 

My parents always have a few spare cages. 

What? 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

oh you dont make very much on the sale, thats basically a loss leader. 

the money comes in when the new owner brings them back for training. 

or boards them with you for a few days so they can have some peace and quiet/ a vacation. 

My parents always have a few spare cages. 

What? 

So... Australians are a breed of horse?

I was going to ask what you feed them on. Fosters or Castlemaine? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

So... Australians are a breed of horse?

I was going to ask what you feed them on. Fosters or Castlemaine? 

dog breed actually. 

The full name is Australian Shepards, although they are not actually used there.  mostly  UK/US 

like this, only with less adventuring gear. 

2104425275_chipfront.jpg.ccff14318f42002fcebf69e9848eeac9.jpg1002353848_chiprear.thumb.jpg.466605c5313742b009c497aca584a8c4.jpg 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CashWiley said:

Stunt training is awesome. I wish I had formal training, I learned the hard and slow way!

Stunt school was a good time. Never used the training much professionally, because I learned the film industry isn't particularly appealing to me, but I enjoyed the horses and the being on fire.

I do use the fighting-for-film stuff and once in a while the falling-from-high-platforms stuff, but a lot of that translates well for stage.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2019 at 8:19 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

July 22. What's the longest delay you've had for a kickstarter or preorder that did eventually arrive?

Just counting the unplanned time, so if you preordered in 1981 for something meant to ship in 1990, that arrived in 1992 it would only be 2 years.

I dunno, maybe one of the Bones KS's?  Nothing I've backed (which isn't really much) has been super late.

12 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Not particularly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Probably my all time favorite breed of dog, other than mutt, are Blue Heelers, also knows as Australian Cattle Dogs. I wonder, in Australia do they just call them Cattle Dogs?

• Like 3