Sign in to follow this  
Painting Dog

Color Pallette for Drow (White) Hair

I'm painting my first Drow for a friend's gaming character, and am finding the hair challenging. This is the old "how do you highlight white" thing, with the added complication that it's totally NOT ok to end up with a beige/yellowish result. Anybody have a recipe that has worked for them? Or suggestions for how to approach base color and shading so I don't end up with either gray or ivory hair?

Thanks for any suggestions. 

• Like 3

Find pictures of white hair that look right (perhaps Daenerys Targaryen for example). Base coat in a darker color, possibly the darkest gray you can see on the hair in the figure. Keep gently highlighting until it reads as "white". It will take a while. For a drow you may consider the faintest hint of blue in the gray.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yes -- blue in the grey.  And I'd start with my mind telling me the grey I chose to base coat is too light -- not too dark or just right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would probably do the opposite; let it be too dark at first. Just look at the shadows in the wrinkles of a white t-shirt. White can shade pretty dark (depending on depth of the wrinkle).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As the shadows of a Drow skin is purple, I will use a very light lavanda glaze  instead of blue to shade the hair :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I would probably do the opposite; let it be too dark at first. Just look at the shadows in the wrinkles of a white t-shirt. White can shade pretty dark (depending on depth of the wrinkle).

I understand your advice and, generally agree.  However, my experience with white is that it takes on the color of its base color -- grey for a grey base and blue for a blue base -- or purple for a purple base.  If you are focusing on just the darkest shadows, then a dark blue-grey works for me.  It is in the lighter shadows that the base, IMHO, really begins to influence the white.

Are you advising that the base color be varied, depending upon the depth of the shadow?  If so,  you and I are in complete agreement. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While I haven't posted any pictures, I did white hair for the frost giant queen, I used Rainey Grey as a base, then layered with Pure White thinned almost to glaze consistency until I got it where I wanted it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ok, so I did a wip and have a show off for nutsplanet's Mother of Dragons bust. I think the wip is linked in the show off thread.

As I recall I used dark elf skin and nightshade purple, with reaper's purple white (spectral) for the skin For the white hair I may have used something warmer in contrast to the skin.  I might have used some linen white in the hair- it looks that way?  I know for the shadows I used some of the dark elf skin. I used some green in the face as well, but mainly because her dress was green.  With white, remember it is a reflective color. Things cast shadows on it, but it reflects all of the colors back at you. Keep at least 50 to 75% on it something between linen white and creamy ivory, use very little pure white as it tends to be very cold and flat, and make sure the shadows are very thin areas.  The wip may or may not help, but I ramble a lot about the colors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe a base of leather white, and then a really light wash of blue, maybe ashen blue or soft blue (all Reaper colors).  After that, more really thin washes of Dark elf skin highlight, then dark elf skin, then dark elf shadow.  Then the highlight would be pure white.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Snow Shadow makes a great shadow color for white/drow hair. (Highlighting up or shading down both work).

Edited by breegull
  • Like 1

I luv using Jessica rich's receipe for white hair, volcano brown mixed with maggot white adding more maggot white into the mix for highlights, to pure white.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I remember taking a class at Reapercon on painting white and black. The biggest piece of advice I took away is that when you're painting white, your midtone is going to be the same as your highlight if you want to have it look like a pure white. 

That is, if you would normally paint 20% of the area shadow, 60% midtone, and 20% highlight, for white you would paint 80% white and 20% shadows. This helps avoid the issue where your white reads as "gray" or "blue." Black works much the same way, except that your shadow and midtone will be the same, so 80% black and 20% highlights..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2019 at 2:10 AM, kazmania7 said:

I luv using Jessica rich's receipe for white hair, volcano brown mixed with maggot white adding more maggot white into the mix for highlights, to pure white.

I cannot visualize how those would work together - I will need to look that up... (likely why she is at the level she is at) :)

Edited by golldan

Actually @golldan it's on her darksword dvd and she uses ashen brown (09180) which is a slightly lighter volcano brown (09268), didn't think reaper still made that triad 09178-09180 so replaced with the volcano brown for @painting dog. I still have the old triad (cinder brown-volcano brown-ashen brown) and use that recipe all the time, it's quite nice. I even recently used it on reaper's diabolist mini which I just finished, I'll post to give you a look.

100_7486.thumb.jpg.f2459761d74b19bf26578e777576fd4d.jpg

Edited by kazmania7
  • Like 5