Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Grim Reaper from the Bones 5 Core Set.
First time trying a transparent glass effect (on the hourglass). The glow eyes didn't quite work out like I thought, and tips on how to fix those will be greatly appreciated.
I also kinda meh'd my way through painting the integrated base, so I'd like to revisit him and give him a more complete base at some point.
Basilisk from the Bones 5 Core Set.
I wanted to give him the classic green and gold coloring of the basilisks of lore, and I am happy with how he turned out.
Learning how to blend and layer is a continuous process of improvement for me, so tips and advice are welcome!
I've been trying to figure out how I want to set up my Bones V WIPs. Because, well, I got A Lot of stuff. I didn't want to do one thread for everything because again, A Lot of stuff. So this is the start of the Core Set WIP. I will try to give proper names to minis and at least use the number it is listed in the KS images. I will probably start listing each grouping of minis as found on the KS page and link to where it starts by updating this post to find things easier.
I'd already finished this one by the time I thought to do this.
Stained Glass Knight (1097):
Here we go with another Nagendra. Trying new colors each time I do them to try and have some fun with scales. What I need to do on my next one is some kind of combination with yellow. Something more challenging to work with to make it fun (or completely ruin it).
* Combo of golds and brown seemed to do alright.
* Felt brave enough to use an oil wash this time. It's frustrating because I'm always afraid it's going to ruin the work I put in, but at the same time, the results could be awesome. The wash is on the scales, and the shield. I tried it on the sword, but it didn't lay into the lettering strong enough.
* The scales were good after the oil wash but needed a 'pop'. I went back and hit diagonally adjacent scales with a cream color. Gave it a cool pattern without overwhelming the look. I did my last one with an organic here or there approach. This was more pattern driven. Doing something like a diamond back would be a challenge worth doing.
* The sword did not come out as I had hoped. It looks washed out and the runes on it are less than ideal. Could use some fix ideas for this.
* The shield also is missing...something. I don't know what it is, but there's nothing really cool about it.
* Eyes are so small on this model it's hard to do anything fun. I made them black with yellow slits, but you can't really see them due to the size. Anyone else struggle with eyes that are too small to really detail? Or have a solution worth trying?
* This one just didn't have the same pop effect I'd hoped for. I'm not sure what's mising, but it's something.
Got another one of these simple townsfolk done. I find they make a great opening salvo for the weekend before getting rolling. They are more or less my practice pieces to try a few things before getting going. Here he is - the farmer and his hoe.
* Keeping the palette very simple:Brown, Orange, Cream, Flesh - worked well.
* Washes of Nuln oil on the shirt, pants, hood. Looks good and helped dull the colors like work clothes.
* Used Agrax on the leggings and the shoes and the hoe to give a more dirty apperance.
* I used a mix of buff and white streaks, then washed it with Agrax to give the wood appearance. Not bad.
* Flesh was Rosy Shadow - why I used that color, I have no idea - and I did a fleshwash on it. Then brought it back up with rosy shadow, then again did it with a little added buff.
* I really want to learn how to wood grain. I can't figure it out or do it well and need some help there.
* I also am not a fan of this guy's skin. I still don't get how to use the triads really well. Or which skin tone to use for which kind of character. It's why I like doing beasts or fantastical creatures because skin isn't really a concern. Could use direction here if anyone is open.
* Didn't want to use metal colors, so I just did a black to white to grey fade on the working end of the hoe. Meh.
* The highlights I went back in on the leggings, hood, and shirt are a bit much. Almost look washed out. Not sure what went wrong going back over the same areas with the colors after washing, but oh well.
For basing this guy - open to ideas. I'm thinking just a simple 1" base and nothing complicated. I'll do whatever someone suggests first.
Who's Online 6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 27 Guests (See full list)