The Lost Lands - Grand Dutchy

9184ad7de3d9fa9ff3cd1c556309009d_origina

The Grand Duchy of Reme awaits!

Starting in 2002 Necromancer Games began populating its Lost Lands campaign setting one adventure at a time. The Grand Duchy of Reme is the region home to classic adventures released by Necromancer Games for D20/3.x and Frog God Games for Pathfinder, Swords & Wizardry and Fifth Edition. 

More than 10 adventures have brought life to the Grand Duchy of Reme. The Lost Lands Campaign Sourcebook funded in January is expected to be over 700 pages and all of them are full of information. By necessity each region was described broadly, but there are still a wealth of history, politics and other details to be explored, experience and expanded in the Grand Duchy of Reme. 

The Grand Duchy of Reme is a system neutral hardcover volume designed to be useful for campaigns independent of system preference. Specific details that affect the characters in the Lost Lands there are System Encounter Books. These companion volumes are softcover (or PDF), that contain reference stats for use with the Region book along with detailed encounter tables for the region.

Additionally, 3 classic adventures previously unavailable for Pathfinder, Swords & Wizardry, and Fifth Edition are back. These are offered as either softcover add-ons in backerkit or as free stretch goals in PDF (see reward sidebar).

Mock-up of Grand Duchy of Reme. Final release will differ slightly Mock-up of Grand Duchy of Reme. Final release will differ slightly

The city of Reme itself is ancient, with world-spanning trade — the eternal citadel of the Loreclans, where the ashes of legendary barbarian kings reside. This land lies near the slow collapse of the nearby Empire of Foere, and the rise of Bard’s Gate to the East. The Rhemish watch these events with cold eyes rather than concern, for they live in vast regions that devour invaders. Their land is eternal; their people can be forced back to the plains, but in the plains they can abide for as long as need be. They are — as a people — the ultimate hunters. The fall of Foere is like the fall of an antelope upon the plains; the rise of Bard’s Gate is little more than the stepping-up of jackals before the body. The Grand Duchy of Reme simply waits and watches — for Reme is the dwelling-place of the world’s wolves.

2d5cfacbb428a4f3f844b734c667cdb4_origina

Reme is a unique fantasy civilization whose structure is determined by the one overriding fact of its geography — the country is a vast, grassland plain. The realm is dominated by the culture of the ancient Loreclans: the urbanized and settled ones, and the nomadic clans of the interior. The Loreclans owe a certain fealty to the Dukes of Reme, who are the final arbiters of the ancient law of the plains, but between the Loreclans and the Dukes there are also the mysterious Pashtars: arbiters, judges, and mediators who roam the plains where their service takes them.

00281648b246d1634dfc5e30089dc8aa_origina

The city of Reme, of course, is one of the wonders of the world of the Lost Lands, home of powerful spell-casters and perhaps the greatest mercantile and war fleets of the Crescent Sea. It is also, however, steeped in the culture of the vast plains of the interior. It is a place where assumptions are dangerous, for it is no standard fantasy environment — it is a culture that will be entirely new and foreign to your players, a place to truly explore as well as adventure.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/froggodgames/the-lost-lands-grand-duchy-of-reme/description

• Like 1

I backed for the sourcebook. I'm probably going to upgrade to get the adventures when it goes to BackerKit.

I've already got Borderland Provinces, The Blight(PDF only), and Bard's Gate in my possession, with Razor Coast set to show up later this week or early next week. And then I'm a backer for the full Lost Lands worldbook. Add in the adventures I have and I'm going to have more FGG stuff than I do WotC before too long. Still have a way to go to catch up to Paizo though...

Edited by Unruly
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the second time I've backed a FGG project while still waiting on one from before. The first time it was backing both Tome of Horrors and Rappan Athuk for 5e. RA shipped about 3 months late, while ToH was only about a month late. All things considered, it wasn't that bad.

But this time they've currently got 3 projects that are still in the production phase that I'm aware of(Sea King's Malice, Lost Lands Worldbook, and now Grand Duchy), one that's at the print stage looking like it will be at least a month late on fulfillment(Tegel Manor), and the most recently fulfilled project(City of Brass) was 2 months late. Each of the 3 currently in production projects has at least one smaller optional book that's also in production. I'm wondering if they might be stretching themselves a little thin.

8 hours ago, Unruly said:

This is the second time I've backed a FGG project while still waiting on one from before. The first time it was backing both Tome of Horrors and Rappan Athuk for 5e. RA shipped about 3 months late, while ToH was only about a month late. All things considered, it wasn't that bad.

But this time they've currently got 3 projects that are still in the production phase that I'm aware of(Sea King's Malice, Lost Lands Worldbook, and now Grand Duchy), one that's at the print stage looking like it will be at least a month late on fulfillment(Tegel Manor), and the most recently fulfilled project(City of Brass) was 2 months late. Each of the 3 currently in production projects has at least one smaller optional book that's also in production. I'm wondering if they might be stretching themselves a little thin.

Seems to be what happened to Nord Games. A period of rapid expansion and hiring in small markets like RPGs doesn't always work out. What's the old joke? You can't get a baby in a month by having a woman lay with nine men? Pretty true for RPG design as well.

I think they will deliver, but it will be late. I’m not in on this Kickstarter, but have backed several of the recent FGG ones, including Tegal Manor, Tome of Horrors, City of Brass and Rappan Athuk for the PDF (shipping to Australia is just too expensive for me to justify buying hard copies). They generally keep up communication, even if it is to let you know that they’re behind schedule, which is definitely helps ally any fears.

8 hours ago, JoeGKushner said:

Seems to be what happened to Nord Games. A period of rapid expansion and hiring in small markets like RPGs doesn't always work out. What's the old joke? You can't get a baby in a month by having a woman lay with nine men? Pretty true for RPG design as well.

I actually went and looked at FGG's kickstarter history last night after I posted, and they average 3.5 kickstarters per year. They also seem to frequently stack them up like this, where they'll have a couple fulfilling while another couple are in the early production stages. Since they've successfully completed 20 kickstarters like this so far, even if they are usually a couple months late, it would seem that they've got a system that works for them. I mean, the only kickstarter that wasn't successful just never reached its funding and was cancelled, but it still got made and is for sale on their website now.

So now I'm not as worried.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 7/17/2019 at 9:54 AM, JoeGKushner said:

Plus, all their Pathfinder stock becoming obsolete with the new edition.

So, they lost what WAS their big sellers while at the same time needing to support 5e, now that D&D is back to being the biggest kid in the playground.

Panic mode to get material out ensues.

~~~~

Reading Grand Duchy.

Not bad, not really to my tastes, a whole lot of open planes and horses.

Maybe closest to the Moors rather than European fantasy.

And not sure how I feel about system neutral. Mostly because I miss town stat blocks.