Paint Triads vs. Individual Paints

I’m going to be buying a bunch of Reaper paint soon and I’m curious how many people buy the paint triads vs. individual paints. 

You don’t save any money by purchasing the triads, right? It’s mainly just a triad of colors that work well together (base color, highlight, and shadow)

I currently have no paint, so I’m looking to get a good beginning set to get started. Does it make sense to buy paints in the triads or just pock and chose as I see fit?

Thanks!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have no trouble mixing paints and understanding color you'd probably be fine without triads. Aside from that the other advantage is consistency. If you want the exact same shades and highlights across a large number of minis triads can make things easier.

• Like 5

I generally stick to the triads as I am terrible with art and art-like things.  But, when I do feel brave enough to experiment, usually by taking things one step brighter or darker, it helps me to have the other colors there so I can see the progression.

There's a little bit of savings, 8¢ per triad, to be precise.  So nothing to write home about unless you plan on buying just about everything.

• Like 1

If just starting out I'd go with single's, mainly get all the colors on a color wheel and a few browns, black and white. One advantage is you then get to learn the colors and how to mix and it'll help you out in the long run. That being said being I am a paint hoarder, I do have all the triads but find I rarely use them together.

Edited by kazmania7
  • Like 3

Triads are a nice shortcut. They're not necessary, and if you put in the work for color theory you can get nicer results without them, but sometimes you just want to be able to grab three paints and know they'll work together.

• Like 3

When I first started switching to Reaper I was excited by the triad concept. After buying a lot of them I tend to form my own triads and mix and match more. Thing is unless you already have them it's hard to know which ones you'll end up grouping together more often. I deliberately bought most of the skin triads because I'm fussier about skin tones than other colours. Almost never use them in their triads and there's a few colours I rarely use. It all depends on how many paints you want to get. For a small set pick and choose what you like best. As you expand (if you're like the rest of us you will) fill out the triads of the colour you like best. Eventually buy them all... :poke: I went from under 40 paints 3 years ago to just over 200 now. I think I have all that I want for the time being. Now I'm attempting to use them all.

• Like 4