Best 15 - 20 Reaper Paints to Get

I have Bones minis, I have brushes and other other tools ... the last thing I need are paints!

I’m going to buy 15 - 20 Reaper paints to get started (and then add from there in the future)

So, I’m looking for opinions / recommendations on the best 15-20 must have Reaper paint colors.

Thanks!!

Edited by Marc
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a variety of paints, Reaper and others.

The one I MUST have is Brown Liner; stuff is indispensable (to me, at least) for washing Bones to prime them and bring out detail preparatory to painting. Works with metals, too.

• Like 3

Brown Liner. Definitely indispensable for Bones miniatures; base-coat with that, and you have a practically indestructible Bones Mini. The other Liner paints aren't bad for this sort of thing; but Brown Liner seems to be the most consistent.

After that, I would pick a skin triad (I like the Olive Skin triad). 

Peacock Green, Linen White or Bleached Linen, Nightmare Black (actually a rich, dark blue), Nightshade Purple. I like Dragon Red, with Spattered Crimson not far behind. Burning Orange is a good choice for an orange. Palamino Gold is a good yellow. Purple .. purple is hard. Imperial Purple is a good one, so is Twilight Purple. If you want/need a grey ... I might grab Wolf Grey.

You'll want a couple of metallics; I'd start with Dwarven Gold and Blade Steel.

That should do you for a good start. I would add a light skin tone triad to that - Fair Skin, or Golden Skin - and possibly Maggot white and a light blue; but that should do you for a start. 

Fun side note, you can cover damn near anything with Bleached Linen; it is a really nice cream-white.

• Like 4

What are you painting? Do you need green for orc skin? Silver metallic for armor? Browns for hides or leather?  Pale flesh for elven skin?  Given that you want a minimal number of paints, look at what you need for the figures you have right now.  

• Like 4

When I was getting started with Reaper paints, I went with the Learn to Paint kits of that time.  These sets of paints were a good variety and the kits had instructions that involved mixing colors.  The instructions were also useful for learning techniques.

If I were building a set of Reaper's paints today, I'd do the same thing with the current Learn to Paint kits by Rhonda Bender, which I understand are even better than the discontinued kits.  IIRC, the new kits have paint choices that don't overlap or overlap minimally.  I'm sure the instructions are also good, given what I've read from Rhonda (Wren) on these forums and her blog, and from what others have said.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Marc said:

So, I’m looking for opinions / recommendations on the best 15-20 must have Reaper paint colors.

That's a tall order.  When I first (re)started painting a couple years back, I grabbed the minis that were going to be my first few and planned them out.  I made my initial order based on those figs.

I know that I love the Terran Khaki and Blue Greys triads.  Soil Colors and Redstone seem to always find useful places in what I am doing.  The Neutral Colors (Pure Black, Rainy Grey, and Pure White) are just about mandatory, as would a flesh-toned triad (based on what you plan to paint).  I'd also grab one of the silver metallic sets.

There are just so many great colors...it's almost impossible to cut a list down to 20 or so paints.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Marc said:

I have Bones minis, I have brushes and other other tools ... the last thing I need are paints!

I’m going to buy 15 - 20 Reaper paints to get started (and then add from there in the future)

Thanks!!

Expanding on what @Inarah was asking:

• How do you like to paint? Do you want single-coat coverage, wet blending, layering, wash and drybrush, glazing?
  • How comfortable are you with mixing colors? Do you need a set of colors that can mostly be used straight out of the bottle for what you want to paint or would you rather have a set of colors that if mixed can give you more flexible results?
  • Reaper has a huge range of skin tones that can be used for nearly anything. What skin tones do you prefer to use? If you mostly paint light-skinned humans, less of the set can be devoted to that and more to other stuff. If you want a wide variety of skin tones, you might need twice to three times as many paints (if you don't want much mixing). And that's without hitting fantasy skin.
  • What level of results are you looking for? A few competition pieces tend to use more shades of fewer colors (generally, there are always huge exceptions), while tabletop painting for roleplaying tends to use fewer shades (for speed) of many colors (for ease of differentiation on the table).

I could take a guess at what you want, but it's easier to ask.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Marc said:

Thanks!!

Before I answer this.

You did say you're painting Bones , but what kind of minis will you be painting predominantly?

I ask because if you paint an Orc and Goblin Horde you will get a different advice than for an Undead Horde or a Scifi Army.

What is your main interest?

Brown Liner or any of the other colored Liners from Reaper are great for priming Bones.

And I will recommend Reaper Brush on Sealer to protect the paintjob from rubbing off when handling the minis.

Those are not paints, so I'd like to know what your favorite minis are.

And, do you like a more realistic or a more vibrant style for painting?

For example, does a Knight wear iron, weathered armor or a shiny polished one?

• Like 5

All the clear brights are a must have !  (for skin) rosy skin, maiden flesh, and bones ebony flesh. (for an orange) bones sunrise orange. (for a warm yellow) bones lantern yellow. (for a neutral gray) rainy grey, great for making ur colors more pastel.  pure black and pure white. (for browns) brown liner, a must have for bones minis, russet brown, and chestnut gold.

(for purple) runic purple and deep twilight. (green and blue) bones brilliant green and brilliant blue, and lastly (for a darker red) bones cinnamon red. that's my list of 20 or 21.

Edited by kazmania7
  • Like 4

Walnut brown remains an indispensable part of my toolkit. It's great for off-blacks and for basing browns. Linen white is the same for off-white. Together they're perfect for painting eyes. 

Bloodstain red is a very nice dark red. It's very useful because it has good coverage, and brighter reds paint over it well. This can make it much, much easier to paint reds than if you start with your bright red first, and it gives a nice shadow to your reds to help the midtones and highlights look brighter.

• Like 9

It really depends how you wanna paint: 20 colors is an extremely limited palette, you will mix a lot!

What do you'll need is a selection of powerful  pigmented colors, such the Reapers Clears, cause with a limited palette pure pigments are a must:
a good purple, cause no matter how much you'll mix you will never reach the richness of Dioxazine Violet;
Quinacridone magenta is needed for making good oranges;
Naphthol red is very rich red;
Phthalo blue and green are very powerful colors, needed in mixing;
lemon yellow (I think this is Benzimidazolone or maybe Hansa).

Do not really know if reaper colors use this pigments on their clears, but I think yes.

Titanium white and Carbon black; add burnt umber cause you need a dark brown instead of black when mixing warm tones.
Oxides are also needed: yellow ocre and burnt sienna.
Not necessary but needed: dark ultramarine, and a warm orange.

You do not need anything else, if you whant you may add skin colors to avoid mixing it. Oh, and you maybe wanna get some metals.

But my advice is to get more colors and avoid mixing cause mixing take time, and if you do not know what you are doing you'll end up wasting a lot of color trying to obtain what you're looking for.
I will buy the Reaper  Bones Paint Complete Set.

P.S. I think I have more than 150 colors, cause I do not really like wasting time mixing.

Edited by Cicciopiu
  • Like 5

Hey everyone!

I’m a trained traditional artist, I understand color theory, and I’m very comfortable mixing paints :)

I have a mix of maybe 100 or more Bones (so far) - monsters, humans, elves etc. so I’m really just looking for the specific Reaper colors folks recommend to get started. 

I fully intend to add to this initial set over time - I’m looking for some general advice on the ‘can’t miss, gotta have’ Reaper paints to have in your set ...

Edited by Marc
  • Like 4

I'd like to add my vote for Palomino Gold. 

Not only is it a great colour on its own, but it also works superbly as a base for many skin tones, reds, yellow and metallics. 

Dragon White is the best white I've had the pleasure of using. 

@Cicciopiu we DO NOT count our paints. And if we do, we use Goblin Math. 

Goblin Math is properly explained here;

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/82430-welcome-new-forum-friends/

Also, 150 isn't all that many... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3