Sign in to follow this  
TheAuldGrump

World Anvil?

Looking into World Anvil, mostly from mention on the Lost Lands KS.

Anyone have experience with it?

Thinking about setting up The Regency on it.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

I used it to set up the Fallout TTRPG that I'm currently running. Being able to link my different pages made things like organizing what groups have members in what town, whom knows whom and from where, that sort of thing. Giving everything and everyone their own page comes in handy as well, since I can check something with a few keystrokes instead of flipping through piles of notes. I'd absolutely recommend it, especially if you are sometimes disorganized and have terrible penmanship, like me.

• Like 2

Oh, I really enjoy world anvil. It's mobile platform needs work, but the site is extremely useful. You can link all sorts of articles together. You can make a timeline, linking to historical articles, which link to articles about people and places and governments. They really put a lot of thought into it.

• Like 2

I see in their overview that there's some kind of map function. Does it support hex maps? That I could put in a map with a hex overlay and key the hexes?

Or does it support points of interest on a map, so I could put down a dot on an image, keyed to a specific page?

Also, has anyone tried using it on an iPad? How's the interface there?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sanael said:

I see in their overview that there's some kind of map function. Does it support hex maps? That I could put in a map with a hex overlay and key the hexes?

Or does it support points of interest on a map, so I could put down a dot on an image, keyed to a specific page?

Also, has anyone tried using it on an iPad? How's the interface there?

I haven't had a chance to delve into the map very much, but if I recall correctly you can put points on the map, linked to articles, and even plot your party's path across the map. I had planned on putting the map I drew for my husband's home brew world in there, but I got side tracked. 

I really need to get back to it...

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

I haven't had a chance to delve into the map very much, but if I recall correctly you can put points on the map, linked to articles, and even plot your party's path across the map. I had planned on putting the map I drew for my husband's home brew world in there, but I got side tracked. 

I really need to get back to it...

So I took a look last night, set up a free account. I didn't get to play too much, but The map looks like it supports a layer function. So I might be able to work visible POI on the base layer, with a hex grid that's invisible to the players (with each hex having its own invisible POI). Either way, pretty cool. I like it.

• Like 2

I've never heard of it. I think I'd try it out but as far as table use during my games it would be kinda useless. I need to hotspot to access my Chromebook. Oddly switched phone carriers to get hotspotting as part of my plan (vs paying extra for it) & I barely ever use it. With D&D Beyond, the app is easy to use during games. I'll have to play around with the program thou. My Weds campaign is made up of adventurers & supplements from DMsGuild & Drivethrurpg. It'd be nice to get it all organized & streamlined.

Looks like World Anvil is pretty much what I was hoping to get out of Worldspinner, which was something I backed as a kickstarter and was supremely let down by.

Is it entirely free for basic functions, with purchases for supplements like the stuff that Frog God is doing? When I looked at the website it was a little less than clear and just kept telling me to make an account. But it's one thing if I can buy supplemental stuff, it's another thing if I find out that core functions are locked behind a paywall after they've been advertised in a way that leads me to believe they're free.

7 hours ago, Unruly said:

Looks like World Anvil is pretty much what I was hoping to get out of Worldspinner, which was something I backed as a kickstarter and was supremely let down by.

Is it entirely free for basic functions, with purchases for supplements like the stuff that Frog God is doing? When I looked at the website it was a little less than clear and just kept telling me to make an account. But it's one thing if I can buy supplemental stuff, it's another thing if I find out that core functions are locked behind a paywall after they've been advertised in a way that leads me to believe they're free.

They are entirely free. There's only a couple of sharing functions that are behind a paywall. If you watch their video they'll detail that. But all the awesome world building stuff is 100% free.

I may need to look at it.

Grump has been saying nice things about it, but he also says nice things about Campaign Cartographer, which is a PITA for new users.

I wonder how or if it can handle Kingmaker style hex crawling.

So, I bit the bullet for a subscription, since they're running a sale based on their Ennie nomination.

The sub gets more space for images and the like, plus more iterations of some of the various sharing things. I have a bunch of handouts that I can scan in, and a large enough group of players, that the sub is worthwhile to me. It also opens up more "hidden information" options, which is useful to me as a DM.

I'm currently building out the timeline of my campaign, and generating a to-do list of articles based on the things hit upon in the timeline entries.

So far, everything I've done has been entirely grokkable, and I'm actually having a bit of fun.

My current campaign is a hex-based wilderness exploration, and I've been pondering how to deal with hexes. Right now, I think the only way is to make an article for each hex, then mention adjacent hexes and rumor-related hexes as "related articles" for a given hex. I haven't found anything that's intended specifically to function for hex maps.

• Like 1