Sign in to follow this  
Rainbow Sculptor

Clever Crow Studios Bust

Michael Proctor of Clever Crow Studios asked if I would be interested in an art trade. I would sculpt my take on his studio logo (originally designed by Izzy "Talin" Collier) and he would paint that and one other figure. I was immediately super charged with inspiration and set to work to create my piece. This is my final sculpt, set to be produced at 54mm!

582187912_CleverCrowBustPortfolioPresentation.jpg.abc7a2fe0350a83db0e86b6d0a735d1a.jpg

I honestly can't WAIT to see him paint this guy up! It's my first bust and I'm really happy with how it came out.

The other figure I plan on having him paint is in the design process but will also be based on him/his work. I'll post some of my design work in this thread as well as some WIPs and final pics of the pieces complete. Thanks for taking a look!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

I wanted to share some of the design work also so here's the concept art for the bust and a head design for the Corvid Conjurer figure!

1070201577_ConceptArt.jpg.b4f2bbb0def6cd6a94840446946774a3.jpg66284925_2324488530979572_9055848383662522368_n.jpg.e00136bbea459fee46ff1e68bece97aa.jpg

The head/face tends to be a big part of my character design. This will determine the type of character, gender, demeanor, and a lot of the shape language decisions that will be repeated throughout the rest of the figure. I find that once the head is designed the rest tends to fall easily into place. I'll be making some costume and posing decisions today. I plan for the finished figure to be a large piece which will allow me some freedom to explore some finer details than is typically doable in my usual figures. I also like to write out a sort of quick description or make a list of key components of the character I want to be sure to communicate before I start. If you would be interested in reading that to get more insight into the character design process please let me know!

• Like 8

It has such a mischievous look.  I like it and would probably buy if for sale.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Clearman said:

It has such a mischievous look.  I like it and would probably buy if for sale.

Thanks! I don't know if it will be available for sale. We were discussing a small batch of resin casts for each of us to have a couple and possibly some metal but nothing has been officially decided yet. 

• Like 4

I also would love to buy it!  And paint it!!  Awesome work. So much personality. Plus it's purple, so I know Michael will love it!

• Like 2

Purple is the color of sarcasm, and that seems appropriate for a clever crow.

• Haha 3

I saw this on the Clever Crow Facebook page and immediately thought it looked like your style.  So much personality, I love it!!  :wub: 

• Like 3

Just now, LittleBluberry said:

I saw this on the Clever Crow Facebook page and immediately thought it looked like your style.  So much personality, I love it!!  :wub: 

Wow, thank you! As artists we always worry about our style being recognizable or unique enough to warrant recognition so this means a lot! <3

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

It finally clicked why he looked so familiar to me, it's his passing resemblance to Big News Morgans from One Piece.

Haha that's awesome. I never watched one piece, the drawing style didn't appeal to me but they do have some crazy and cool character design. I could definitely see the similarity!

• Like 1

Here's a little WIP of the Corvid Conjurer head. The hair that goes down the back is just a placeholder. I find it much easier to put that in after the main body is established to layer properly but I wanted to get a feel for how the flow from the head would look.

Head WIP.JPG

• Like 10