72moonglum

De-priming WizKids prepimed minis

So, last week I threw a few pre-primed WizKids miniatures into Pinesol and I left them there for a few days. I pulled them out to toothbrush the primer off, and to my chagrin, very little of the primer actually came off of the miniatures.  My thought was to get rid of the generically and carelessly applied primer, reprime it and see afterwards if I might be able to do something decent with it, but couldn't get the primer off.

Anything else you'd suggest? I just threw them back into the Pinesol and I'll try again in a few days again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

So got to find me those? Grocery store? Hardware store?

Here in Spain the chemist (pharmacy) sell it... don't know in usa... drugstore?

• Like 3

Home Depot, probably Lowes.  A search gets hits from Walmart, Amazon, and Grainger.  You have options.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

So got to find me those? Grocery store? Hardware store?

Isopropyl Alcohol (in USA)

Walmart

Any Large Grocery Store (Kroger? )

CVS

Walgreens

Sav-On pharmacy

Most every other smaller drugstore chain

Krud Kutter 

See earlier post from @Auberon

• Like 2

Thanks all! I’ve got a WalMart literally five blocks away, just need to get over there and grab some and test it out. Maybe it will eliminate my PineSol fetish!

• Like 1

So I bought eventually some Isopropyl alcohol, and I let my Wizkids figures sit in it for about a day, and nothing happened. The primer just didn't want to move.  So I have now bought some simple green and set them in that last night and between today and tomorrow I'll try to remove the primer.

• Confused 2

? It is not a solvent, you have to use a toothbrush, and there is no need to leave the mini in it just just put the toothbrush in the alcohol and use it directly on the mini.
Percentage of the alcohol? 
I use It every time I buy a wizkids mini and never had a problem :/

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Cicciopiu said:

? It is not a solvent, you have to use a toothbrush, and there is no need to leave the mini in it just just put the toothbrush in the alcohol and use it directly on the mini.
Percentage of the alcohol? 
I use It every time I buy a wizkids mini and never had a problem :/

91%, I let it soak for over a day, then went at it with a toothbrush, but it didn't budge.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cicciopiu said:

I use 99,9 or 99,5. Maybe 91% is too weak?

Not so sure, I left it in the 91% stuff for over a day and nothing happened.  Testing Simple Green right now, maybe tomorrow I’ll pull them out and start scrubbing.

• Like 2

Simple Green will help with getting rid of WizKids primer, but isn't great. Took hours of soaking and a LOT of time with a Soniccare toothbrush to get most of it off.

• Like 3

I used 91% ISO alcohol and a toothbrush to get the primer off a beholder. It worked great so I decided to give it a go with the Air Genasi Female Rogues that ced1106 said had terrible mold lines. After a quick look it was apparent that he was right about how nasty the lines were on those figures. so I dropped them into the same cup of alcohol that the Beholder was cleaned up in. Same alcohol too for that matter. After a few hours I took the minis out and scrubbed them with the toothbrush while dipping the brush into the alcohol cup to keep the mini wet. The first mini was about 60% cleaned of primer after the scrubbing, but the second one was closer to around 30% cleaned of primer. Plopped the little buggers back in the alcohol cup for another soak. I'll leave them in overnight and check again tomorrow.

I'll snag some 99% ISO to check if that works any quicker. The used milky alcohol left over from the beholder still seems to work, but it may be loosing some of it's punch. It might work better with some fresh ISO but I'm a tightwad. 

• Like 5